PDA

View Full Version : Destin Trip in October

TroutAssassin
08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Its been a few weeks since I have had a chance to get on here and post something. Ive been loaded with things to do recently. However I am making one of my many trips to Destin early this October. I have already been down 3 times so far this year, but October has to be my favorite time of the year to be there. The temperature is usually in the mid 80's and the fishing is off the chain :cool: . Anybody else planning on being there early this fall??

Shaggy
08-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I usually take my family down in the spring and sometimes a return trip in the fall. We did not make the spring trip this year and are trying to get an October trip together. Hopefully we make it. I have not tasted the sweet meat of a Pompano in over a year!

DanielMc
08-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Shaggy, do you catch Pompano on the fly?

TroutAssassin
08-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Shaggy, I know what you mean about missing the taste of those pompano fillets:biggrin: . Hope you get to make it this year. I love saltwater fishing as well as the gulf coast. I graduate college next year and am planning on moving down to the area. I'd like to work as a deckhand on a charter boat. Shaggy, do you do much fishing when visit?

Shaggy
08-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Daniel, I have never fished for Pompano with a fly but have always wanted to give it a try. To tell you the truth, my first real fishing obsession was saltwater fishing ( pompano, cobia, spanish, kings, redfish, snapper, etc.). I actually took up trout fishing and later flyfishing just to keep me occupied until vacation time came around and I could head to the gulf. I got hooked on flyfishing as well. I only wish I could live down that way, but job and family will not allow it, at least not until the kids are grown and retirement comes around. I really hope we get down there in October!

Assasin, that would be a great job! You will learn all the tricks. If you get on a boat, be sure and post here what boat you are on so you can hook us up!

TroutAssassin
08-08-2008, 08:22 PM
be sure and post here what boat you are on so you can hook us up!
Ill keep that in mind:biggrin: . I guess next year I will be walking the docks talking to crews that might need help. Hope you get to go down this year. You might just get to taste that pompano flesh again with the pompano bite picking up in the fall. ;)

Panhandle
08-10-2008, 11:01 AM
I have caught Pompano on a fly. Two of them were caught in the surf while I was targeting them. Several other ones were caught in Choctawhatchee Bay or Santa Rosa Sound while blind casting with a clouser. We're talking about one of the toughest fish to catch around here. I know a couple of guys that fish for Pompano exclusivly. It seems that the most productive way to catch them is using live Sandfleas cast with a long surf rod. Jig casting from the pier using spinning or bait casting gear is another popular method. It goes without saying that using a flyrod from the pier is out of the question. I saw a stepladder modified to use along the beach for Pompano last Thursday at our club meeting. The surf would have to be pretty calm to try using a contraption like that.
The spring run is better than the run in the fall normally. They are around through the summer but not as strong as during the migrating periods. Last spring there was a larger than normal run. The beach at Navarre and Pensacola were the most productive. If you want to try using a fly rod on them I'll give you some tips. Let me know. I'm not an expert but I have been fishing for them for the last 30 years or so but only about ten years with the flyrod. I don't want to spill my guts unless there is some interest in the subject.

TroutAssassin
08-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I don't want to spill my guts unless there is some interest in the subject.
Spill em':biggrin: . Im interested. This is my favorite section on this board and it could use some life. I caught a pomp on a small clouser while fly fishing in the surf last november. But other than that sand fleas have been my go to when specifically targeting them.

Shaggy
08-10-2008, 09:13 PM
I agree, spill em!

Pompano is my absolute favorite eating fish. They put up a good fight as well, that has to be amplified with a fly rod! Also, you can't just go down to the market and buy it where I live.

I have never been able to catch a pompano with the sand fleas! I catch them from the pier with the jigs , HERE------>(http://www.okaloosaislandpier.com/). The spring is certainly the best, but I do catch them in the fall as well, mostly smaller ones.

Panhandle
08-10-2008, 09:58 PM
OK here are a few hints. Flies for pompano are most effective if none of the material extends beyound the hook bend. Pompano are notorious short strikers. Look at the jigs that they sell at the pier when you come down on this trip. They are much too heavy to cast with a fly rod so you must tie flies similar to them. You can't buy them off the shelf anywhere that I know of. Remember that a Clouser is a jig. Tie clousers with heavy lead eyes. Tie them the colors of the jigs. Use long shank stainless hooks. I coat the heads with epoxy that I add a couple of drops of acrylic paint. I am essentially imitating those jigs. An off white color is good as is pink. The one problem is that they are not as heavy as a conventional jig so they don't kick sand on the bottom. Fish them on the bottom with sharp jerks. Try to kick sand. Another good fly is the Merkin which of course imitates a crab. They should be fairly heavy as well. The biggest problem for a guy coming down this way infrequently is equiping with a rod that will comfortly throw heavy flies. I use a 9 weight with intermediate sink tip line. Your leader only needs to be 4 to 6 feet. I always use florocarbon 8 lb test or less. Anything to get your fly down near the bottom.
Look for deep holes near the beach. Ideal spot is where the inner bar has a break where the water is rushing out toward the Gulf. Careful now this is where people get in trouble swimming. This is the rip current. Rip currents are bad when the wind is coming pretty strong out of the south and pilling water on the beach. You aren't going to be fishing then anyway. You can spend a lot of time hiking Just to find a spot. Hope this helps. What dates are you going to be here?

TroutAssassin
08-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the tips on flies! Ill be there from october 4th-11th. I mostly encounter blues and ladies. I love tangling with the occasional jack. I'd like to catch more of them. Panhandle, do any of the jack crevalle in the surf move out and migrate any? Do some hang around in the bay all winter? I know they school up pretty heavy in the surf during the early fall.

Panhandle
08-11-2008, 08:26 PM
I do not believe the jacks hang around in the bay through the winter. I'm told that they are out there now. They really move around! They are here one day and are blowing up 5 miles away the next.
Back to the Pompano flies I forgot to add that you should add some orange to them. I do it on Clousers by wrapping a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch band of orange thread behind the lead eyes before adding the wad of hair that goes over the hook point. I can't prove that truly enhances thier catchability. It can't hurt. Drop me an e-mail sometime. I should have some free time when you come down here. Maybe we can get up a trip. My address is Windknot5@cox.net.

TroutAssassin
08-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Panhandle, thank you for the offer! I'll see what I can do. It would be nice to fish with a local!

bigpopper
08-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks Panhandle for the great info on catching pomps on the fly. This is just what i've been lookin for. I'll be headed down to Panama City Beach/ Destin area Sept 12-19. Is this an ok time to catch them in the surf? I'll be using my 8wt rod/ WF 8wt line w/ 10lb floro leader, is this set up good enough because its all i have? The tips on the flies sound like what I had in mind. I allready have some crab patterns --> 2 Mcfleas (1 olive, 1 grey) ,
1 Bone Toad(green), 2 Antron Murkin Crabs, 1 Feeling crab(by umpqua). Will these also work on permits? Thanks in advance for any more help you can spare.:smile: Great fishin to ya!:biggrin:
Mark <::><

Panhandle
08-12-2008, 10:27 AM
The flies that Bigpopper has may work as good as any. The two most important things are finding a good hole along the beach and fishing close to the bottom. The flies should not have too much material trailing behind the hook bend. They feed primarially on crustaceans such as crabs, shrimp, and thier favs-- sandfleas. That being said the Florida record was caught in St Joe Bay several years back on a 52M11 Mirrorlure a guy was using Speck fishing. To answer another question from Bigpopper: I don't know anyone who has ever caught a Permit along the panhandle of Florida. I heard rumors that one had been caught around five years ago but I don't put a whole lot of faith in that.
An 8 wt rod is the work-horse rod around here for inshore and nearshore fishing. I use a 9 weight only when slinging heavy flies for Pompano. Whatever size you may use fishing with weighted flies is hazardous to you and your rod's health. Don't worry about having a conventional tight overhead casting loop. Tilt your rod to the side. Swing up on your backcast to lesson the chance of your fly strikeing the water behind you.
I have reservations in Townesend for the middle of October and plan on puting some time in on my 4 wt. I have a trip planned for tomorrow if this rain will give us a break.

TroutAssassin
08-12-2008, 11:51 AM
If you do get to make it out tomorrow, post up a report for us. We would love to hear how you did! What dates are you going to be up here? Sounds like I will be heading back to Tennessee at about the same time you will be heading here for your trip. If you need a fishing partner or just some advice on fly selection or what streams are fishing good in the park, post up and let me know!

Panhandle
08-12-2008, 09:06 PM
We scrubbed our trip for tomorrow a couple of hours ago. It has been raining and lightning just about all day and more is forcast for tomorrow including 20 to 30 mile an hour winds out of the WSW. The bay is probably carrying so much sediment that you would need an Alabama license to fish it.
My wife and I have reservations at the Tallyho for 15 thru 18 October.
Sure tell me what flies I should bring. I figured on Orange Palmers or Orange Stimulators along with some BHPTs and BHHEs. I would love to fish up there with someone that knows what they are doing.

bigpopper
08-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks Panhandle for the help and tips. Tight lines to ya!

TroutAssassin
08-13-2008, 12:32 PM
heres just a little list of some you could use while you are down here in mid october. #14-16 Orange palmers, #14-16 Orange Stimulators, #12 Parachute adams, #18 BWO, #14-16 BHPT, attractor patterns, hoppers, and Hi-viz ants and beetles. I would be more than happy to take you out on the stream. From the looks of the dates you gave me, it looks like Wednesday evening or Friday evening would be best for me and my college schedule(Im already skipping a week for my Destin trip LOL).

Panhandle
08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
TroutAssassin: Thank you for the tips on the flies. I shall start tying soon. Fishing on Wednesday the 15th would be out of the question. I will have been driving all day and since my wife is coming with me on this trip I know that we won't get on the road before 9 AM. Friday the 17th should be fine.
Be sure to e-mail me a contact method so that I can take you on a trip while you are here.
Went out this morning in my buddies boat. He fished spinning while I fished with a fly rod. He got one small Speck and a Red of about 22 inches while I got a 24 1/2 inch Red . My first Red on a topwater fly! He went for it 5 or 6 times before he tasted the hook. I'd post a picture but I don't know how to do it.

Stonefly
08-14-2008, 04:06 PM
My first Red on a topwater fly! He went for it 5 or 6 times before he tasted the hook. I'd post a picture but I don't know how to do it.

Do you have a photobucket account? They're free and easy to use. Once you set up an account, you then upload the photo to it, then do a copy and paste thing per Paula's instructions at the head of the Website and Message Board forum. I post photos too infrequently to get it right first time every time, but it's really pretty easy.

I'd be glad to help if you like. E-mail me at rsteven_baker at earthlink.net

sb

TroutAssassin
08-14-2008, 06:53 PM
I'll certainly send you an email a little closer to leaving time when I know a little bit more about what my schedule will be while im down there. I'd love to see that red you caught! Hope you get it posted up.:cool:

Panhandle
08-16-2008, 08:30 PM
I got the photo in my computer and I have it on photobucket but I still can't figure how to get it onto this message. The FAQ on this board just isn't enough for a technically challenged simpleton. It isn't such a good picture in any case. My partner took it naturally and he cropped off the tail of the fish. I'll keep trying though. I'm sorry now that I mentioned that I had a photo in my earlier post.

Stonefly
08-16-2008, 09:11 PM
OK, now that the photo is uploaded to photobucket, look at the codes below it, and click the one that says direct link. That essentially does the copy, then you'll be ready to paste into a note on here. Look for the icon with the yellow background and mountains. (As I'm typing this it's right above the word photobucket in my first line). With your cursor in place in the message, hit that icon, and your photo should appear. At least I think that's the way I recall it.

sb

Panhandle
08-16-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm still looking for the yellow icon.

bigpopper
08-16-2008, 11:51 PM
The yellow square with the mts. is in the reply to thread/post window when you post on the LRO mess board. Its 3 little things over from the "globe w/ binoculars and next to the cartoon cloude. This is what lets you add the pic to your message. Hope this helps ya! post me back if not, I'll check on here in the morning.

Panhandle
08-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Fellers I appreciate your attempts to help a technical klutz but I don't see any kind of windows on this page except for the little guys below this message block. That little purple face I inserted is an example. One day I'll figure it out. Right now I'm more concerned with the storm that they say will probably be coming into the Gulf. I am supposed to be heading for Orlando on Tuesday to accompany my wife to one of her nurse junkets to a fancy shmantsy hotel. The people on the Weather Channel are getting more excited by the hour. They live for this stuff. My wife says that this area should only concern themselves with storms with names made with four letters. In another words Fay is for somewhere else. Yeah like Orlando.

TroutAssassin
08-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Here you go Shaggy, this should get you excited about making a trip. I took this photo on one of my trips from last year.
http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s334/troutassassin/100_0057.jpg

TroutAssassin
08-18-2008, 12:29 PM
you dont see a little yellow box with triangle mountains in it? It should be right above where you type your message. If you ever do find it, go to your photo bucket account and copy the direct link address that is below the photo you want to post from your photobucket collection. Then come over to this message board and when you are posting your message click the yellow box with triangle mountains when you want to insert a photo and paste the address you copied, then post your message.

Shaggy
08-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Posting that pic on my desktop at work! I can't wait to see that beautiful water again soon and hopefully pull some nice fish out as well. :redface:

TroutAssassin
08-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Haha, I knew you would like that photo. That photo is from one of my trips last year. If you know where the old crystal beach peir use to be(all thats left now is the wood posts underwater leading out into the gulf) thats where the photo was taken, just right in front of my condo.

TroutAssassin
08-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Hey Panhandle, How was the storm when it passed?

bigpopper
08-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Panhandle,
How's the water clarity after Fay? Is the fishing all messed up after storms?
I'm still headded your direction on Sept. 12-19, maybe we can fish together if you dont mind a new guy to salt water fly fishin;) . Great fishin to ya!:biggrin:

Panhandle
08-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Fay didn't cause any problems for us. It is raining occasionally. The winds didn't get bad nor did we get any significant amount of rain. I don't know what the water looks like. I'll know better on Wednesday. Three of us old codgers are going to give it a stab Wednesday morning.
Bigpopper: we may be able to squeeze in a trip when you first get here. I am going to Louisianna for a military reunion starting on the 15th of September.
My e-mail address is on one of my earlier posts to this thread.

Panhandle
08-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Bigpopper: The water in the bay is pretty dirty at present. I went for a trip to Hogtown Bayou on Choctawhatchee Bay yesterday. WE got one small Speck and I got a very small Crevelle Jack on a topwater popper.
The water should clear up in a day or two but only God knows what Gustav will bring us. I'll keep you posted.

TroutAssassin
09-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Hey Panhandle, Hows the weather from gustav? Looks like tornados northwest of pensacola.

Panhandle
09-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Gustav didn't give us much of a problem here. It was windy and rainy as expected. The surf got pretty stirred up and it will take a few days to settle down. I am going out in the Sound tomorrow and I expect it to be pretty turbid. We'll see.

TroutAssassin
09-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Glad to hear that. I saw some photos from the pensacola fishing forum website and it looked like the seas were kicked up a little with some minor flooding in backwater areas. Let us know how you did. That water should be pretty mixed up.