PDA

View Full Version : Nances Ferry Smallies

pineman19
08-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Hello,

I was curious if anyone has had any success fishing this summer for smallies with a fly rod in Nances Ferry area of the Holston River? I did pretty decent during the spring fishing for rainbows, but I am really curious about catching my first smallie on a fly rod. I have caught plently on a spinning rod in my younger days, but on a fly rod would have to be a blast. I don't have a boat, kayak or canoe , so wading is my only option. I would appreciate any input on other options in this area for wading and flyfishing for smallies.

Thanks,

Neal

ChemEAngler
08-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Pineman,
I am actually contemplating doing just that on Friday afternoon. I can't decide if I want to go to the Clinch or try for some smallies at Nance's Ferry.

Travis

pineman19
08-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Travis,

I'll interpret your reply as to say that the smallies are in the Nances Ferry area> I don't have too many flies that are designed for smallies, but I have some buggers and some other streamers that I think will suffice for openers. I haven't gotten into "Byron's Popper" craze yet, but who knows I am open-minded when it comes to fishing. I have a 9', 6-7 St. Croix that I purchased for steelhead in Ohio in the mid-nineties. Haven't used it for years. Is this overkill for smallies in that area or should I use a 9', 5 weight?

Maybe I will head that way after work on Friday. It's a convenient spot for me since it's only about 20 minutes from the house.

Thanks,

Neal

ChemEAngler
08-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Pineman,
I too am actually looking to get into some smallie fun for the first time on the fly. I have fished the ferry before for trout, and have wanted to go back for smallies ever since. A guy I work with has been over there in the past two weeks and he said he caught good numbers in the 13 - 15 inch range. Nothing large, but scrappy fighters. I have lots of poppers and recently got onto the stealth bomber kick thanks to some help from Troutman. I may look for you if I make my way over there. I will be in either a beige MKZ or a grey Ford edge. I plan on bringing my 9' 6wt just to help me get some of those heavier buggers out there more effectively.

Travis

pineman19
08-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Sounds good Travis. I'll be driving an ole 93 Dodge Dakota, silver/grey. I'll have to dig out some appropriate gear. Looking forward to giving it a try. I would be more than happy to catch some smallies in the size range you mentioned on a fly.

Later,

Neal

waterwolf
08-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Better have lead boots to fish the Holston Friday, TVA is blowing the bottom out of Cherokee.

Plenty of smallies there, mostly 8" guys, but a few decent bass. If I was wanting to catch some bass Friday and wading was my only option I would go to Wilton Springs bridge on the Big Pigeon.

Don't tell anyone I said that though.:biggrin: