PDA

View Full Version : Pole signs

Gerry Romer
08-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Hey Byron!

Would small stacked stone columns on either side of your driveway be considered pole signs? You know, kinda like the Preserve just put up to delineate their entrance. Of course they're also supporting a gate, but you get the idea... something in keeping with the architectural integrity of your building. A small stacked stone column would handle a discreet oval sign easily.

Gerry

Byron Begley
08-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Gerry,

According to current Townsend regulations a stack stone entrance would be OK as long as there was no sign attached. This needs to be worked on. I know how the folks feel on our planning commission because I served with them for a couple of years. When you make a change it has so many effects on the community in a lot of different ways. Changes have to be thought out and looked at from every angle. I am in favor of smaller signs. But you have to consider the visibility of tourist related businesses. And, there is the grandfather consideration. What you have is what you keep. If your neighbor has a 175 square foot sign and yours is 60 square feet, yours doesn't show up. In our case 60 square feet shows up fine unless somebody builds a 175 square foot sign that blocks ours.

Byron

Flyfishjeep
08-08-2008, 12:25 PM
The stacked stone in one color and an offset color stone spelling LRO built into the column. Clean looking and effective. Just a thought