PDA

View Full Version : St Croix Rods

KingfisherB
08-07-2008, 03:48 PM
I have seen a fair amount (mostly good) about St. Croix Reign Rods. I then noticed that the St. Croix Triumph Rods use the same blanks with different components. Are the upgraded components worth the extra 40 dollars?? I am looking specifically at the 7'6" 4pc. 4wt. All opinions are welcome, thanks.

Brian

pineman19
08-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Hello,

I haven't tried the Reign or Triumph rods, but I do have 4 Avid series rods and I really enjoy using all of them. St. Croix has always given me great service as well. I have returned several rods that I have broken through careless use, and they have either quickly repaired or replaced them.

Neal

jeffnles1
08-07-2008, 10:22 PM
I've never used the Triumph but do have an Imperial (I think that's what it is called) It is the one that was right before the Reign. There are some slight differences, but essentially the same rod.

It was the first decent fly rod I owned. It's a nice rod. Mine is 9' 5wt. I also have a Scott G2 9' 5wt. Granted the Scott is a much nicer rod, but the price difference is huge as well. I'm not sure the Scott is enough nicer to justify the cost other than I really wanted ths Scott. I don't use the St. Croix much anymore but I sure do not feel "under rodded" when I do use it.

Jeff

pmike
08-08-2008, 08:14 PM
...is limited to Avids and the older Legend Ultras. IMHO, pound for pound, the Avids are hard to beat.

I would tend to think the other lines would be of pretty good quality, just can't say for sure having never so much as looked at them.

Mike

Stonefly
08-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I have several Avids and I like them. Though when I cast a BIIx on my SoHo trip in June, I was ready to head to the shop and buy one!

sb