PDA

View Full Version : fish color

lauxier
08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Today a customer told me,if a trout's colors are intense then that trout lived in waters with a more alkaline(higher) ph-coloring has to do with general health of the fish.waters with a lower(acidic) ph produce duller looking smaller fish.I knew abouth ph and the size of a fish--is there any truth to his ph and color intensity theory????

pineman19
08-07-2008, 05:24 PM
I am not sure why there are differences in color in the same trout species in different streams, but as they say with people, you are what you eat, so maybe fish are what they breathe and swim in. Seriously, I noticed some differences last weekend when I fished Sams Creek, upper Little River. The brookies on Sams Creek were a duller color than the brookies I have caught on Greenbriar this year. To be honest, I thought it was kinda cool since I appreciate variety. Also, I think the mature rainbows on upper little river have a more prominent pink stripe. Just an opinion. I figure the origin of the original stockings would make a difference as well.

I'll let the experts chime in now.

Neal

ijsouth
08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
This is an interesting topic. I've noticed a great variety in the coloration of the rainbows in the same stream...some of them have a lot of fairly large spots, and a pinkish-purplish stripe, while others have far fewer spots and a more crimson stripe. I know there are a lot of different varieties of rainbows in their native range, so that might be reflected in the Smokies. As for the specs, while I have seen a fair amount of variation in color, spots, etc, it is nothing like the difference between the brookies here and those up in Virginia - the ones in SNP are northern strain, and they definitely look a bit different.

mora521
08-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Maybe the amount of sun has something to do with it also?Bass definitely are lighter when they live in clearer water,and darker green in darker water.I don't think ph is a factor,Abrams is high ph,but the browns and rainbows always seem more colorful in Cataloochee.I have never fished Greenbriar,is it pretty sunny?Sams creek is pretty shady water.Lynn Camp above Panther has very bright orange bellied brook trout,I wish they had not chosen this creek for the poison.The brook trout were doing fine colonizing the creek on thier own.