PDA

View Full Version : Greetings Former Neighbors

MaryvilleJim
08-07-2008, 06:16 PM
It is I, MaryvilleJim. I cannot tell you how much I miss living so close to the Park and all the other trout streams in East TN. But mostly I miss the fellowship of the people I used to fish with and the members of this board. I don't like negative stuff so I'll only say that the trout boards in Georgia are WAY less friendly than here. If anyone cares to cruise look for my recent posts as CantonJim at NGTO board. What a welcome. Not.

Anyhow, I'll be back up in the fall to surrender hard earned $$ to Paula and Byron. Heck it's almost as much fun going int he store as it is fishing. Well, maybe not THAT close but I sure miss relaxed, civilized and helpful people.

So I hope to see some of you on the streams. Enjoy and savor the moment. Yoo never know when it will be gone!

TroutAssassin
08-07-2008, 07:59 PM
MaryvilleJim, Welcome back! What I read on the NGTO website was a complete shame. As far as im concerned there are no secret streams or secret anything about our sport. Our job is to make this sport as friendly, fun, and as popular as we can. Its those attitudes and "rules" that keep fly fishing from becomming something greater. The general consensus is that all fly fisherman are snobs. I dont care if you use a spinning rod, fly rod, or a stick with a rope on the end. The purpose it to have fun, bring fish to the bank, and share the water with everyone. Sorry about my rant, im just sick of the greater than thou fly fisherman. Once again, Welcome back!

ALflygirl
08-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Welcome Jim!
I read those posts on that other board the other night and couldn't believe it. (Actually, I could...some of the folks over there do not play well with others!)
Makes me really appreciate the LRO board!

Rachel

mora521
08-08-2008, 12:47 AM
What did you expect from a bunch of slickers?Actually Maryville is headed in the same direction,it's not the same as it used to be.It used to be dickies and carrhart,now it's more ll bean.Too many halfbacks.

Bran
08-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Hi Jim,
I, for one anyhow, thought it was hilarious, especially that JDW quote you put on them, that's classic!! I'd sure like to meet you and swap flies and fishing tales sometimes, sounds like you and I have the same attitude, "It's mind over matter, I don't mind, so it don't matter!"

PeteCz
08-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Welcome Back Jim!

For anyone curious, here are the two threads...they are pretty hilarious if looked at in total...

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68267
http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68268

The sad thing is that overall the number of folks that actually participate in fishing is declining and if we're not careful we may someday lose the right to enjoy this activity (especially if PETA has anything to say about it).

Jim, I like your attitude. I also like to fish because I like being out in the mountains trouncing around in the streams like a 12 year old...catching fish is just a bonus...

And while Maryville may not be what it was before, there is no perfect place to live. Any place is what you make of it. Just because Dickies and Carhartts aren't the only line of clothes worn anymore doesn't make it any less of a great place to live. In fact, the increase of things to do and places to eat, etc., necessitate the need to drive to Knoxville that much less. Plus being 25 minutes from the "Y" make it all that much better of a place...sorry about being sensitive, but I've lived here for 14 of the last 20 years and enjoy it now more than I ever have. Ok, I'm done...sorry about that.

Gerry Romer
08-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Lemme see if I got this straight.

You open a thread to introduce yourself, ask a relatively innocuous question about a public river, one guy responds with a "here we go again..." and the moderator locks your thread. Then you open a second thread blasting the moderator and the respondee (rightly so) for their heavy-handed and ignorant approach to message boards, the same stream is discussed, and the thread goes on for 4 pages. That about sum it up??

Paula, sounds like these clowns could use a dose of your "How to operate a successful message board 101". Thought about teaching on the side?

Actually, there does seem to be a few right-thinking individuals on their board
but they're all a bit gun-shy, like they, too, have offended the narrow-minded gods of Georgia trout fishing.

Gerry

Brian Griffing
08-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Absolutely hysterical. I drank two beers just trying to get through all that. As far as I'm concerned, that's just another reason to never again set foot in Georgia. Wait, that'll make those guys happy. I can't win this one.
But I am thinking about logging onto that forum and posting a made up fishing report on the "Toot".
Being the lazy man that I am, I probably won't, but it would be funny.
On a serious note, I really don't think there are any "secret spots" left that you can drive or daytrip to.

pineman19
08-08-2008, 05:10 PM
What did you expect from a bunch of slickers?Actually Maryville is headed in the same direction,it's not the same as it used to be.It used to be dickies and carrhart,now it's more ll bean.Too many halfbacks.

AND "Lovin every minute of it"

Neal "The Halfback"

nvr2L8
08-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Maryville is definitely not what it used to be. No more Parham Hill, no more all-black high school, no more battles between union and non-union barber shops, no more Now Town, no more Murvill Otto Sells. All these silly green ways and some decent restaurants (as Pete said, less need to drive to Knoxville).

Yeah, I'll agree (after almost 56 years of living here), that it doesn't have some of the small town charm that it used to but there aren't that many Mayberrys any more. And there is that thing about being a short drive from some terrific fishing. After growing up saying I would get out of Maryville as soon as I could, I sure have stayed a long time.

pmike
08-08-2008, 08:11 PM
in the North Georgia area. Jeff Jones who posts here, though I can't recall his username here, started the sight and is known as Owl. The board isn't as big as NGTO, but the guys who post on it are great!

Mike

http://brtb.aforumfree.com/portal.htm

Paula Begley
08-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Paula, sounds like these clowns could use a dose of your "How to operate a successful message board 101". Thought about teaching on the side?

It's no big secret, actually. All it takes is consideration of your fellow man and a willingness to give back. We all started somewhere; we all learned from someone. It would be a sad day if we all decided to not share the knowledge. /lesson 101 ;)

btw, Welcome home, MaryvilleJim.

Paula

ijsouth
08-08-2008, 11:06 PM
I've seen this same sort of behavior on other boards; while I understand people don't like seeing their favorite streams swarming with anglers, for the most part the streams are hardly a secret - the days of "secret" streams are long gone. As was noted earlier on this thread, right now we need to grow the sport and have more anglers, not less.