PDA

View Full Version : Carp....Clinch?

TroutAssassin
08-07-2008, 10:23 PM
I know I have seen the occasional carp in the clinch while trout fishing, but I am looking to specifically target them on the fly there if possible. I dont know if there are good numbers in there or not?? Any good fly patterns to use when target them? Will I be out gunned if I use a 5 weight :confused:. Any advice is greatly appreciated.:smile:

Waterborn
08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I haven't spend any time chasing carp on the clinch but on some other waters...probably could use stadard nymphs if you get them in thier sight, or use somthing with a barbell or other wieghted head to get it down quick to manuever in thier line of sight like an olive or black wolly bugger... I'd say a 5 wt is under gunned, you could do it, but a heavier stick is probably par for the course - I settled on an 8 wt - if anything its easier to get wieghted flies out easier...

waterwolf
08-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Not too many Carp in the Clinch. After a lifetime of fishing the Clinch I think I have run into two which fell for my flies.

Better bet would be the Holston or the French Broad. Both are loaded to the gills.

You will be fine with a 5 weight, a 6 is better, but an 8 is overkill IMO and will cause too much line slap and the fly to hit to hard. Stay away from the dumbell eyed flies as well, most of our tailwaters have a bunch of weeds and dumbells will sink in the weeds and/or get hung in the rocks. Try a small white woolly bugger or black wooly bugger with enough weight to break the surface but stay away from cones, and so forth as they are too heavy. Most of your carp will be in very shallow back waters in less then 2 feet of water.

Best of luck.

TroutAssassin
08-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Waterborn, thanks for the helpful info! Ive tangled with the occasional carp while fishing in ponds with wooly buggers and what not. I just thought sight casting to them in a tailwater would be alot of fun, and a challenge. Anybody else have anything??

TroutAssassin
08-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Waterwolf thanks! what size buggers should I use, and should I use less lead wrap them when I tie them or leave the lead wrap off completely? Could I wade in both those tailwaters at low water?

waterwolf
08-08-2008, 06:50 AM
You need some lead to get it down, but you will have better success with a semi neutrally buoyant fly rather then one that dives straight to the bottom. I would fish a size 6.

You can easily wade both when the water is off.

TroutAssassin
08-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks again waterwolf! Sorry to bother you with all the questions, but I have a few more. Will I be dead drifting these buggers past them or will I need to work them a little bit? Will I need to go longer than a 9ft leader?

waterwolf
08-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Cast just past the fish (2-5 feet) let the fly sink to the fishes level, strip it across their nose and if they react towards it, stop stripping and the will suck it in. DO NOT raise your rod tip, strip set so if you miss the fly is still in the strike zone. Leader shouldn't be any longer then 9' and use 0X tippet.

Your questions are fine, and I am happy to help. Caught a few carp in my life on flies.;)

TroutAssassin
08-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Waterwolf, Thank you, you have been a great help! I fish saltwater quite a bit so im used to strip setting the hook and what not. Carp will give me more of the fight im looking for when I dont feel like trout fishing. Once again, thanks for being a such a help!!:smile:

golfballs03
08-08-2008, 02:14 PM
I always see several every time I go.

I've gotten bored occasionally and tried to fish for them with nymphs, terrestrials, sculpins, and the only thing I've ever gotten one to take is a wooly bugger.

It might get frustrating trying to catch them on the fly but If you really just want to catch one on a fly rod, you'd probably have better luck w/ some sweet corn

waterwolf
08-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Golfballs is right about the corn, nothing the carp loves more then corn. It is frowned upon by Carp Unlimited however.:biggrin:

Troutman
08-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Hey Waterwolf, Ever try the RLD fly on carp? I have been wanting to tie some and see how they work on them.

waterwolf
08-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey Waterwolf, Ever try the RLD fly on carp? I have been wanting to tie some and see how they work on them.
What the **** is the RLD fly?

TroutAssassin
08-08-2008, 07:11 PM
I think its the Rubber Legged Dragon.

Troutman
08-08-2008, 08:10 PM
I think its the Rubber Legged Dragon.

http://www.flyfishga.com/rl_dragon.htm

correct TA, They are a great bluegill fly. Dave Carson has been wearing out the gills on them this year on watts bar. The beadchain eyes give them a slow sink rate. I think they would work great on the carp also.

waterwolf
08-08-2008, 11:23 PM
No reason they wouldn't. I am a K.I.S.S person, and pretty set in my ways. I am the guy on the river with 2 or 3 flies in my pocket and a spool of tippet if you catch my drift.

Waterborn
08-09-2008, 07:01 PM
True...and but there are more than one ways to skin a cat, uhh carp....can't say the smaller sized barbell eyes have ever posed a problem - it helps keel hook ride up sort of clouser style and though not totally weedless, a mono weed guard could help(working on a better snagproof river fly)...
Rod wieght, matter of preference... 5 or 6 wt might suit some people and thats great, personally I'd rather err on having the extra backbone and not need it than want it and not have it (couple of times I'm glad I had it)...besides, I had some cheap 8wt laying around with out a use and it fits the bill... Haven't noticed "line slap", granted, its not finessing out some gossamar tippet with a tiny trico with a ulralite rod...but I spook more fish from careless movements than my fly hitting the water...if you lead the fish properly, its a non issue. If you cast properly, its a non issue.
Funny thing is when I blow a cast and the fly does plop, more often than not I see the fish actually move toward the general direction of my fly than away...funny how that works out.
So again, to each his own...

waterwolf
08-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Maybe I should learn to cast a little better.:rolleyes: