PDA

View Full Version : A GOOD waist pack?

bigpopper
08-11-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm lookin for a GOOD waist pack to use while fly fishing in the Gulf next month, and hittng the rivers with home base close by. I ran across a decent lookin pack at a hike/camp store this past weekend for $10. Looked decent enough, but didnt buy. I'd like to get yall's opinions, since youve been doin this alot longer than me. Thanks alot everyone.:smile:
Mark <::><

Gerry Romer
08-11-2008, 11:02 PM
A few months ago, Daniel sold me a Fishpond Blue River Chest Pack and I've been very happy with it. It's not really a chest pack, it's more of a waist pack/sling pack. It's extremely versatile with tons of storage in a small package, and very reasonably priced.

Here's a link to the catalog page for the item.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=16816&cat=764&page=1

Grumpy
08-12-2008, 07:30 AM
I'll 2nd the Fishpond packs, i have the Waterdance, one of the larger ones that carries a lot of stuff.
Checkout the Crooked Island, Seychelles, Dragonfly or the Blue River mentioned by Gerry, all depends on how much room you want;)

Grumpy

bigpopper
08-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks guys, i'll check some of those packs out, ive heard of the fish pond brand but not the others. I'd like to keep it around the $15 range. Bluraiderfan found a great pack deal at Cabela's.com I think it was $80 for $30. Thanks again!
Mark <::><

James Buice
10-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Check out the William Joseph Mag series packs, too. No zippers to rust or break. All of the closures are rare-earth magnets coated in nickel. They're pretty cool.

Check them out
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=18243&cat=1150&page=1

Gerry Romer
10-11-2008, 09:49 AM
I saw those at LRO when they got them in and drooled all the way home. Very nice! I was also very impressed with the WJ "Old School" line.

When my resistance breaks down I'll probably end up with the Mag series chest pack... very small, but packed with practical features. I've completely lost count of the number of times my tippet has gotten caught inside the zipper pull - even on my Fishpond fanny pack which I wear as a sling behind my left hip!!

Gerry

Gypsy
10-11-2008, 05:22 PM
I thought I would add 2pennies. After seeing Gerry's Pack I had to have one, so I started looking around for one myself. I found the Hodgman Convertible Chest Pack for $29.95 I thought it was a good price to see if I would like one. It can be worn as a chest pack, waist pack (my preference) or over the shoulder, or connected to your waders via d-rings. It is roomy yet compact, and has places for tools and a lumbar pad. Pretty nice, but I haven't used it yet I still like my vest to much to convert.

bigpopper
10-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks for all the help on lookin for a waist pack. I did end up picking up one at the place we call w@lly-w0rld. FLW now makes soft tackle bags and packs. It was $5. A buy i couldn't pass up. It was marked down 50%. It has a large front pouch to hold large fly boxes, 2 med pouches with velcro closures, water bottle holder, and sheath for pliars. I did take it on my trip to FL and was very impressed with it. The best $5 I have spent. Thanks again!:biggrin: