PDA

View Full Version : Best wading tailwater

jzimmerman
08-13-2008, 10:23 AM
The guy that I normally fish with is gone to Montana for the week and I am looking for suggestions on good wading water. We nomally float the Clinch in his cannoe parking my truck and the bottom and putting the boat in a the top. Since that is pretty much out of the question, does anyone know of some good places just to wade. Or is anyone with a boat intrested in having some one to float with this Saturday? It doesn't have to be the Clinch. I know the church ,the island, and below the dam. I don't know how much I trust their release schedule on the Clinch. I live in Maryville so somewhere less that a couple hours driving time would be my range. Thanks for any suggestions.

Gerry Romer
08-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Caney Fork. IMHO best wading tailwater in East TN

Best public access, best bottom, best size/range/species diversity, closer to Knoxville than the SoHo, Watauga, Hiwassee... the list goes on.

Gerry

BlueRaiderFan
08-13-2008, 11:38 AM
I second that... Caney fork down by Lancaster...You can't beat it!

Fishermansfly
08-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Well I gotta say outta the tailwaters I've floated....Caney, no doubts! Anywhere you can access below the dam! There's still a few lingering out there in Tennessee I have yet to float! The Elk, Fort Patrick Henry (though I hear it's rough and not worth the trip!), and there's one other out there I'm not thinking of! I would say that the water that is most favorable for a wade fisherman as far as TVA is concerned would have to be the South Holston...The water is always right there...and hey, if nothing else it sure is darn pretty!:cool:

~Brett

Wilson10
08-13-2008, 04:47 PM
well that settles it...!

I have to get down on the Caney!

waterwolf
08-13-2008, 06:04 PM
You can bet the farm on the weekend Clinch schedules, they do not waver from them at all.

I am partial to the Clinch, but you know the only access points.

Grumpy
08-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Keep an eye on the Caney water release, they're blowing heavy in the morning, slow to drop.
The Elk may be an alternative.:cool:

Grumpy

ALflygirl
08-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Keep an eye on the Caney water release, they're blowing heavy in the morning, slow to drop.
The Elk may be an alternative.:cool:

Grumpy

Oh Grumpy....I don't think they would like the Elk at all! Caney is probably the best bet! ;)

BlueRaiderFan
08-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Oh Grumpy....I don't think they would like the Elk at all! Caney is probably the best bet! ;)

Now that I think about it, the Caney is just terrible. There aren't really any fish. The dam is always generating. Unfriendly people...blah.

golfballs03
08-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Well I think from Maryville the Hiwassee is is probably closer than the Caney, but I don't know how the fishing is there. I'm guessing, but it might be too late for good fishing.

In any case, if you don't feel like driving all the way to the Caney, I would say the Clinch is prob the best wading. I just like how you can drive and hit a couple of the spots.

Fishermansfly
08-14-2008, 12:50 PM
From Maryville...depending on where your coming from (for me lets say Alcoa) the Caney is definately closer...It's a pretty short trip down the interstate and definately easier on the ol truck! It's literally 5 minutes off the interstate! The Hi is close, and a good tailwater, but there's alotta backroad, hilly driving to be done to get to it!

~Brett

ALflygirl
08-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Also...to me the HI is not necessarily an easy wade. All of the rocks seemed like they were at just the right angle to easily turn an ankle.

PeteCz
08-14-2008, 01:16 PM
According to Google Maps:

From Maryville to Center Hill Dam on the Caney is 131 Miles (mostly Interstate) - just under 2 hours
From Maryville to the Powerhouse on the Hi is 62.3 Miles (down US411) - about 1.5 hours. There are a few routes that are shorter in mileage, but as Brett said - backroads and hills....

jzimmerman
08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
8/16/2008
midnight - 1am
2 or more

Does this mean that I should be able to wade all day? This is the first time that I have seen these schedule times.

tennswede
08-14-2008, 03:31 PM
No, it doesn't. It is only information up to 1 AM the morning of Sat. You will not get the later hours schedule until about 6 PM tomorrow night. I.e. They continously update and you don't get the following day's schedule until late afternoon the preceding day.

waterwolf
08-14-2008, 05:56 PM
The Clinch Schedule on Saturday and Sunday

Midnight -10 am = 0 generators
10am -2pm = 1 generator
2pm-10 pm = 2 generators

It is the recreation release TVA came up with 5 years ago and it will not vary one iota unless an apocalyptic event occurs. You can bet the farm on that schedule, period.

Water will be low at the jail until about 3:00 pm, Miller's Island until 10:45, and Peach Orchard until around Noon.

tennswede
08-14-2008, 06:24 PM
The recreation schedule will be in effect until Labor Day I think.

waterwolf
08-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Until November 1, and drawdown used to start Sept 1 but now starts Aug 1 with the new flow regimes.

tennswede
08-14-2008, 09:15 PM
http://www.tva.com/river/recreation/sched_norris.htm

There we go!

Gerry Romer
08-14-2008, 10:04 PM
...does anyone know of some good places just to wade. Or is anyone with a boat interested in having some one to float with this Saturday? It doesn't have to be the Clinch...I live in Maryville so somewhere less that a couple hours driving time would be my range. Thanks for any suggestions.

It seems we've gotten just a bit off topic...

Based on the criteria in the original question, it comes down to the Clinch, the Hiwassee, the Caney Fork, the Holston, and maybe the Elk. The SoHo and the Watauga, while excellent wading tailwaters are just a bit too far.

Okay, you already know about the Clinch. I agree that the Hiwassee river bottom is capable of breaking an ankle or two and, to me, just fishes inconsistently, whereas the Caney Fork has a better and more consistent cobble-type bottom, lots of public access and has consistently fished well for me.

I have no personal knowledge of either the Holston or the Elk, so I can't comment on either.

So if you're still looking for easy access, comfortable wading, and the very real chance of hooking into some very nice fish - and the possibility of a tailwater slam - my vote still goes to the Caney.

I have got to stop promoting the Caney like this :biggrin:

Gerry

heyski
08-16-2008, 01:42 PM
I just had a conversation about the Caney with a guy at a local fly shop in Nashville about 30 minutes ago. We were talking about why the Caney is so dern crowded. I remember last year and the year before it was a bit crowded but this year it's insane crowded. We discussed the drought, Arkansas guides coming down here, the Cumberland, the 2 new boat rental places and a bunch of other things. I'm still going to try to hit the fork on Sunday. Maybe I can get 100' of water to myself for an hour. :eek: