PDA

View Full Version : New Smallmouth Rod

ACinEastTN
08-15-2008, 04:31 PM
I am in the market and was thinking about a 2 piece seeing as I don't do much hiking for smallmouth. I was looking for some input on 2 vs 4 piece, pros & cons. I have it narrowed down to a 9' #6. Anyone have experience with a Sage Fli of Scott A2? These are the two I am looking at. Thanks!

Grumpy
08-16-2008, 07:11 AM
If you aren't hiking , flying or need the space, the 2 pc is just fine. I bumped up to a 7 weight years ago, the 6 was a lil light for some flies & the 8 was just heavier.
They have really changed rods today & there are some 6 weight's that should do fine, there are also some 7 & 8 weight's that weigh as much as a 6:confused:
Rods are just like my billfold, i'd rather have a lil more cash in it than needed:rolleyes:
BTW, have no experience with the two rods you mentioned:redface:

Grumpy

James Buice
08-16-2008, 09:39 AM
I gotta say my vote goes for the Scott A2...but then again, I may have some bias. If you can, cast both and pick the one that fits you the best.

James

Troutman
08-16-2008, 10:05 AM
No experience with either of those rods. My personal preference for a smallie rod is one with a full wells or Fenwick style grip. I feel it gives me more casting control with the big poppers, heavy streamers and sinktip lines.

Stonefly
08-16-2008, 09:05 PM
I have a 6-weight A2, and like it just fine. Plenty of power to throw poppers.

sb

jeffnles1
08-16-2008, 10:16 PM
I don't know anything about the two rods you mentioned. I have a Scott G2 and it's a beautiful casting rod.

My comment to you is to give 4 piece a try. You may not think you'll need it, but with a 4 piece you'll have one in case that trip of a lifetime presents itself. Any more, there's so little difference in action, there is no penality in using a multi piece rod.

Jeff

BuckeyeRick
08-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Recently I tested the following rods, all 9', 6wt, 4pc. Sage FLi, TFO Pro series, Orvis Matrix, and Orvis Clearwater II. I found the Matrix to be "mushy", the TFO came in a close 3rd, and the Sage and Clearwater II were almost a tie. I purchased the Clearwater and have had no regrets. It has a great 25-yr warranty. But, it is only my preference - test as many rods as you can.

ACinEastTN
08-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks to all for the advice. I have cast the Sage but not that particular model of Scott rod. I am still torn as to get a 4 or 2 piece. Didn't think about traveling with the 2 peice.

DarrinG
08-18-2008, 03:01 PM
After owning several 2-piece rods in the past (and still have 1), traveling with them is a pain and all my rods now, with the exception of one, are 4-piece. The smaller broke-down size is just easier to handle, store and deal with while off the water.
As far as weights, I like a 6wt too. I've owned and casted a array of 6wt rods and the only one that has never left my boat is a St Croix Legend Ultra 906-4. I use it as my primary popper/topwater rod. It also doubles nicely as a big water/tailwater trout rod.
However, if you toss any heavy, weighted streamers and craw patterns, a 6wt will struggle a bit. I routinely fish big, heavy flies size 2 and larger (w/ coneheads and .30 wire wraps around the shank for added weight to get deep). The 6wt's I've had will cast them but it's a "chuck-n-duck" affair. I have a St Croix Legend Ultra "Bob Clouser" signature series 898-4 8wt for these heavy flies. It tossed them great. The Sage FLi is a good rod. Also check on the Launch series from Sage. Less money and for me, was just as good of a rod as the FLi. I had a 7wt Launch that was a fine rod, especially for the money.

Good luck in your search!

James Buice
08-29-2008, 09:24 PM
That St Croix Clouser Rod is pretty dang cool. A buddy had one in the boat earlier in the spring. Very nice stick.