PDA

View Full Version : Clinch Report Sunday Aug 17, 2008

tennswede
08-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Went to Clinch this morning. Didn't get up early enough but made it to Massengill area at about 9:30 AM. Began fishing a prince BH with a black bh midge size 20 tied to the bend. Caught half a dozen stockers immediately. Moved a couple of hundred yards and lost one good fish in a run. Water was coming up so I decided to head down to Clinton. Got out on the river again at about 11:30 AM. I immediately began picking up small fish and then bam! Something bigger hit. I had to run downstream for a while with this one since I was afraid to put too much pressure on him. I used 5x fluoro on the tie in which was the midge.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/lisaane/IM000824.jpg

This guy was 14" not bad for just being on that spot of the river for 15 min.

I moved upstream and caught another small bow and then a better sized Brook Trout hit. He was about 11" and I managed to loose him when I tried to net him. oh well.

I kept going upstream and there was a lot of folks out fishing. I didn't really see anyone catching much so I was having the luck today. The key was the small bh black midge.

Another bow came on, and I literally did the riverdance with this one.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/lisaane/IM000830.jpg

This one took the same midge. They must have been keying in on these today. This bow was 15" my best this year. A very nice fish.

Clinch seem to be fishing good this year from what I hear and today kind of confirmed it. I hope people respect the slot limit and it will be even better.

A question for you locals? It looks like something is going to happen past the church. There were several piles of dirt and earth moving equipment on the site. I hope we still will be able to get access in the future.

caught 108
08-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Those are 2 NICE Fish Great job and Congratulations. Caught 108

tennswede
08-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks caught108, they are not huge but fairly good size and the best of all they took a size 20 so I had to play em' easy. They were very healthy fish on top of that.

pineman19
08-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Good job Hans. Almost makes me wanna give the Clinch another try one of these days.

Neal

tennswede
08-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Come on down, it is fishing great right now, even I can catch fish. LOL

pineman19
08-19-2008, 04:19 PM
I am still mastery 5" fish and you want me to try 15" fish! I fished some nice water on Deep Creek this weekend above Bumgardner's Bend. Biggest fish was 9-10". I think I'll give another try when it cools off and maybe the Clinch as well.

Neal

tennswede
08-19-2008, 05:50 PM
yep, my last chance will be this weekend, might be able to squeeze a short trip in. Got to clean house, wash car, mow lawn etc. Picking up my parent at the airport on Thursday. Won't do any fishing until late September. I think I have to squeeze in a Clinch river trip before they get here.

BlueRaiderFan
08-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Nice trout! I caught a 14" Brown the other day which is my best ever on a fly.

patillac
08-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Nice job! I've had a rough time at it on the Clinch myself. Three fish all under 10" on three consecutive Saturdays. (Consistency?:cool:) I went each time at the church, from about 9 till noon. I was beginning to think they weren't there. Thanks Tennswede, thanks a lot. Good looking fish

tennswede
08-19-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm no expert but I do now that after the sulphur hatches are over, usually late June early July you really need to go down in fly size if you haven't already.

I basically quit using dries after June on Clinch. I usually tie on a larger BH prince or Pheasant Tail and then I tie on a small midge in size 20 or so. I got both of the bigger fish on the midge. I did however hook a pretty good size brook trout on the Prince which was a size 14.

Clinch seem to fish best with dries in April thru June, midges and small stuff until January, small blackflies in February, March and then dries again until late June.

No other tailwater I fish is so limited in the diversity of flies that I use. I know scuds are good also but I think it is more mid summer for those.

patillac
08-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks, Downsize one or two, I will. I kept going spur of the moment type of thing, somewhat unprepared. Size 18 Black midges and BHPT's in 16 and 18. Don't kid yourself, I believe this is a case of the fisher not the fished (or something like that).

tennswede
08-19-2008, 10:24 PM
well, you are on the right track there, Take that size 16 BH pheasant tail attach a size 20 BH black midge and you should be getting some takes. I caught fish both downstream wet fly style and upstream dead drift.

waterwolf
08-19-2008, 10:48 PM
A different perspective on the clinch and technique.

Forget droppers if you want to consistently catch quality fish in the Clinch. The water is far too clear and the fish tend to shy away from christmas tree rigs in my experience.

Right now, take a midge pupa, whatever one you like in size 18 drop it below a small piece of yarn and go to work. Dries with droppers are fine, but why bother? I am wired a little different but I see no point in the dry dropper stuff, it does not ride right, and is not nearly as effective as the yarn/nymph approach.

A small #18 BHPT will also work, especially with the fog still on the water or in deeper slicks.

Scuds work, but sporadically, sowbugs work with the same efficiency.

One thing that does work at odd times right now is a #18 TMC 2457 wrapped with Chart. Spanflex over Olive thread with a black bead. It is simple but perfectly imitates the tiny black caddis which are hatching now.

With the absence of sulfur nymphs in the system now the fish are concentrating on blackfly larvae, midge pupa, and an occasional scud/sowbug or caddis larvae.

The rest of the flies in the bins or your boxes save them for another time. I fished Saturday morning for a couple of hours and had great success on what I mentioned above. No monsters, but one 18" bow and half a dozen in the 14"-15" range, combined with loads of other dinks and nasty stockers comprised of brookies and rat browns.

The river is fishing really well right now for overall numbers of fish, with enough line rippers to keep you on your toes.

monktrout
08-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Waterwolf, How are you attatching your yarn indicator to the leader? I can't get that right. In say 3 feet of water, how far are you below the yarn? Any other tips would be appreciated by me and others. Thanks, Monk

JimmyC
08-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Just to add to waterwolf's list, crane midges are deadly on the Clinch. I come from the Tom Rosenbauer school of fishing, so yarn indicator does not bother me, and on the Clinch it seems far more effective. I usually drop it 2 1/2 feet, more on slower days.

psnapp
08-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Waterwolf,

I haven't tried these patterns on the Clinch and am curious to find out if you have: cranefly larva and Cracklebacks. A have a friend who claims he does well with cranefly larva in sizes as big as #10. Just wondering if you've tried them and if so, just how effective are they?

Phil

jzimmerman
08-20-2008, 10:44 AM
I would normally agree with the whole don't bother with a dry dropper thing on the Clinch River, but last Saturday I caught around 30% of my fish on the dry and the others on a midge. I fished an emerging midge pattern as my dry and it seemed to be the ticket for the day. Oh and I caught somewhere b/t 25 and 30 so you can do the math.

tennswede
08-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Waterwolf!

I don't know how we got in on the subject of dropper dry. I don't ever use a dropper dry and I wasn't on Sunday. I'm using a point fly which is either a traditional soft hackle or wet, or a bh nymph. I then tie on a smaller midge on to the bend of the hook. I.e. two subsurface patterns and I don't ever use an indicator of any kind.

Thanks,

waterwolf
08-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Waterwolf, How are you attatching your yarn indicator to the leader? I can't get that right. In say 3 feet of water, how far are you below the yarn? Any other tips would be appreciated by me and others. Thanks, Monk

The best way to describe it in writing would be to tie an over hand knot in the area of your leader where you want the yarn. Usually 24"-30" for the clinch, do not cinch down the know and take the fly end of the knot and back it slightly back out so it forms a loop. Slide the yarn through that loop and you are ready to roll.

waterwolf
08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Waterwolf,

I haven't tried these patterns on the Clinch and am curious to find out if you have: cranefly larva and Cracklebacks. A have a friend who claims he does well with cranefly larva in sizes as big as #10. Just wondering if you've tried them and if so, just how effective are they?

Phil

There are very very very few cranefly larvae in the clinch so imitating one is not happening. Many of the new stockers and small fish will eat dang near anything from time to time. I am not a big fan of the crackleback, don't really see the point in fishing something which doesn't look like something I might find in a fishes stomach.

I fish small dark colored flies as 99.9999% of the diet in the clinch is small and dark brown or dark olive. Look at the color of the river bottom and it says all that needs to be said about fly color IMO.

waterwolf
08-20-2008, 12:35 PM
I would normally agree with the whole don't bother with a dry dropper thing on the Clinch River, but last Saturday I caught around 30% of my fish on the dry and the others on a midge. I fished an emerging midge pattern as my dry and it seemed to be the ticket for the day. Oh and I caught somewhere b/t 25 and 30 so you can do the math.

The biggest and most pressing problem with using a dry for an indicator is that due to the nature of a dry fly it is incredibly hard to pick up micro-drag in your drift. Sure micro-drag doesn't bother little fish and the occasional decent fish, but to consistently catch quality fish out of the Clinch perfect drifts are mandatory in my experience. A dry fly just doesn't offer the same view to the angler that a small piece of yarn does.

Also, the fish which feed on dries this time of the year are generally small <10" and for ME I would rather catch 20-30 quality fish then 20-30 dinks.

It is just a differing perspective on a day on the water and other then the drift issue, it is up to you as to what outcome you are happy with.

waterwolf
08-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Waterwolf!

I don't know how we got in on the subject of dropper dry. I don't ever use a dropper dry and I wasn't on Sunday. I'm using a point fly which is either a traditional soft hackle or wet, or a bh nymph. I then tie on a smaller midge on to the bend of the hook. I.e. two subsurface patterns and I don't ever use an indicator of any kind.

Thanks,

Not minding your business too much but why no indicator?

Are you not dead drifting your flies?

Droppers tied off of hook bends result in lots of poor hooksets in the point fly due to the dropper mono getting in the way. They tangle more, they look unnatural, and a host of other things.

Do what makes you happy and what you enjoy, but understand that a simple single fly/indicator rig will catch ten times the fish and much better quality fish then soft hackles, droppers, point flies etc etc.

tennswede
08-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Waterwolf,

I fish both, upstream and downstream. I really catch some good ones down on the swing the old wet fly style.

I don't doubt that you catch a lot of fish your way but to say that soft hackle doesn't work that is really laughable. Tell that to Sylveste Nemes, Dave Hughes, the old dead man Pritt and Stewart in England.

I rest my case

waterwolf
08-20-2008, 02:30 PM
To be honest I used to fish with Soft Hackles a long long long time ago. Back when there was no jail and we parked under the bridge or at the Piggly Wiggly. Those were the days when the riffle behind the church was a long way from civilization in our eyes. I know all about Sylvester Nemes, but that doesn't mean I bow down to the man. Sure his technique will work, but is it the best method for the Clinch?

Almost 25 years of fishing and 10 years of guiding on the river assures me that no it is not, but if it works for you and you enjoy it then by all means fish that way. It is not my place to tell others how to fish, only advise that there is more effective ways to catch fish on the clinch. I feel like I owe it to others to help out as much as I can and provide insight to methods which are the most effective.

Soft hackles, attractor dries, and down stream swings will catch fish, but in my experience it is limited to fish <10" long and stockers. If a person wants to consistently contact fish 14"+ the above methods are not the best way to accomplish that in the Clinch from my experiences. Also, if a person wants to consistently day in, day out catch fish on the Clinch the above are not the most effective tactics either. Sure they work, but if something works better why not maximize your profits compared to your investment.

Take my advice or not, at the end of the day it really doesn't matter to me.

psnapp
08-20-2008, 04:07 PM
To be honest I used to fish with Soft Hackles a long long long time ago. Back when there was no jail and we parked under the bridge or at the Piggly Wiggly. Those were the days when the riffle behind the church was a long way from civilization in our eyes. I know all about Sylvester Nemes, but that doesn't mean I bow down to the man. Sure his technique will work, but is it the best method for the Clinch?

Almost 25 years of fishing and 10 years of guiding on the river assures me that no it is not, but if it works for you and you enjoy it then by all means fish that way. It is not my place to tell others how to fish, only advise that there is more effective ways to catch fish on the clinch. I feel like I owe it to others to help out as much as I can and provide insight to methods which are the most effective.

Soft hackles, attractor dries, and down stream swings will catch fish, but in my experience it is limited to fish <10" long and stockers. If a person wants to consistently contact fish 14"+ the above methods are not the best way to accomplish that in the Clinch from my experiences. Also, if a person wants to consistently day in, day out catch fish on the Clinch the above are not the most effective tactics either. Sure they work, but if something works better why not maximize your profits compared to your investment.

Take my advice or not, at the end of the day it really doesn't matter to me.

Waterwolf,

You do go back a ways, don't you! A friend and I used to park at the Piggly Wiggly and fish up as far as Jones' strawberry patch (before we got caught!). We've probably passed each other on the stream at one point or another. I used to fish with Hal Clem and David Scates, and a couple of times with Larry Crisp. Man, those were the good ole days!

Phil

Flat Fly n
08-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Jeez,
I used to see Waterwolf putting his waders on over his diapers! Why his parents used to drop him off at the Piggly Wiggly and let him skateboard down that long concrete culvert to get to the river, with a 9ft 4wt in his mouth, and 7x tippet falling out of his pockets! He caught his first thousand fish down by Lewellyn Island before his got his first kiss! HA! Old, that boy ain't old.....just seasoned!

Listen to the wolf, although he should have told you to be sure and use those REALLY loud colored yarn thingies. They work GREAT! What ever you do, don't waste your time coloring a white one in gray tones so as not to spook big fish!

BTW. Sowbugs and scuds don't work either. Fish spit those out in favor of midges!

JimmyC
08-20-2008, 05:42 PM
I've always done quite well with olive and tan cranefly larva, and I have caught several in the 16-20 inch range on that pattern. Pinch me, I'm miraculous!

There are very very very few cranefly larvae in the clinch so imitating one is not happening.

waterwolf
08-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Waterwolf,

You do go back a ways, don't you! A friend and I used to park at the Piggly Wiggly and fish up as far as Jones' strawberry patch (before we got caught!). We've probably passed each other on the stream at one point or another. I used to fish with Hal Clem and David Scates, and a couple of times with Larry Crisp. Man, those were the good ole days!

Phil

The pull to Jones' is of epic proportions. Hats off to that hike. I was lucky and had permission to cross his place shortly after my 16th birthday. Those names especially Larry Crisp are from another era in Clinch history.

Jeez,
I used to see Waterwolf putting his waders on over his diapers! Why his parents used to drop him off at the Piggly Wiggly and let him skateboard down that long concrete culvert to get to the river, with a 9ft 4wt in his mouth, and 7x tippet falling out of his pockets! He caught his first thousand fish down by Lewellyn Island before his got his first kiss! HA! Old, that boy ain't old.....just seasoned!

Listen to the wolf, although he should have told you to be sure and use those REALLY loud colored yarn thingies. They work GREAT! What ever you do, don't waste your time coloring a white one in gray tones so as not to spook big fish!

BTW. Sowbugs and scuds don't work either. Fish spit those out in favor of midges!

Waders??? Heck I was only 12 or 13, I didn't need waders. :biggrin: I remember fishing around where the weir is now and not wearing them during the winter.:eek: Ahh to be young and tough again.

You forgot grizzled in your description of me, and always always fish the orange colored yarn it works the best. :biggrin: White, same color as Goose down and foam, fish could care less.
I've always done quite well with olive and tan cranefly larva, and I have caught several in the 16-20 inch range on that pattern. Pinch me, I'm miraculous!

Depends what size I guess, and just playing devils advocate but how many MORE 16-20 inch fish would you have caught if you were using something else?

JimmyC
08-20-2008, 07:11 PM
2.00 X 10^9!!! A LOT?! hehe ;)

Depends what size I guess, and just playing devils advocate but how many MORE 16-20 inch fish would you have caught if you were using something else?[/quote]

waterwolf
08-20-2008, 07:44 PM
:confused:

Sorry missed the class on text message lingo.