PDA

View Full Version : caney 8-17

fishingman62
08-17-2008, 10:58 PM
fished from 11-5 today from the steps to the shallow riffles before the big rock on the rt of the river ...this was my slowest day on the river never could find the rt color...manged only a dozen or so fish nothing over 10'.... a couple of the bows had alot of spunk and made a few nice jumps through....i checked out the area below the bluffs but did not fish it today except for 20 min before they started releasing this morning...not many wade fisherman today which surprised me for sunday...at 10:30 am there were only 5 cars in the parking lot.... and only had 2 fisherman walk past me on the river ...talked to a women who had good luck with streamers down near the bluffs ...i may have to give up using a dry as an indicator and add a little split shot to the midges...with the faster moving water i dont think my midge is getting down into the feeding zone... tackle of the day #18 midges black,black and copper,brown, and green, fished on 5x tippet dropped under a dry fly inicator.... aeven tryed a stone fly size 12.... i may try the black stonefly again and fish it like a soft hackle.. anyone ever use stoneflys on the caney....tight lines and screaming reels

monktrout
08-18-2008, 07:05 AM
Fishingman, Still sounds like a good day. I've been fishing a brown, grey, or red zebra midge off a small tungsten conehead black leech. Fish take both. If I am too deep in the weeds I'll go to a smaller bead head leech. My next rig is going to be a heavy copper john off the blood knot, an unweighted bugger at the end of the tippet and a zebea midge off the bend of the bugger.I 'll try to fish it on a tight line without an indicator. If no business I'll put on a yarn idicator. After I get frustrated with this cowbell rig, I'll go back to swinging soft hackles. Also a small pheasent tail twitched downstream on a long line can turn a stubborn head. As to stoneflies I rarely fish them on tailwaters, but if they are more productive than my methods, I'll convert. Monk

Grumpy
08-18-2008, 07:48 AM
I fish stoneflies when i see them, normally during colder weather.

Grumpy