PDA

View Full Version : Chilhowee lake, Abrams creek, and West Prong of Little Pigen

10ML
08-18-2008, 11:18 AM
I decided to fish several places this weekend.

On Saturday I took my boat up Abramís Creek up to where the stream meets the lake. Pretty much as far as you can go with a boat. I can sometimes in the spring do ok here but I guess the summer is out. The water was super low and hot. I managed to hook up 3 suckers on nymphs.

I decided to practice with my new 8wt and some poppers for bass all the way back to the lake. No luck. But that is ok because I was mostly practicing my casting for my up coming Steelhead and Salmon run in New York in about 6 weeks. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Next I spent an hour trolling spoons in Chilhowee Lake. I didnít get a bite. I did manage to see a huge Brown jump several times for a mayfly. But after a few times he disappeared.

On Sunday I woke up early and headed over to the West prong of the Little Pigeon. On the way up I stopped at a few spots on Little River. I managed a hookup with a very big trout but he got off after 1 or 2 seconds. I know he was large because I saw his flash as he took the nymph.

When I got to the West prong near Chimneys I noticed the water was really low and fishing was real tough. I managed 2 small brooks and 1 8Ē rainbow in a 3 hour period.

After the 3 hours I decided to get some beer and watch the NASCAR race. This was the highlight of my weekend. LOL

Sorry for the boring report. I just figured I would let you all know.

fly fisherman DK
08-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Watching a Nascar race is always a great way to cap off a great weekend.LOL.

fly fisherman DK

Troutman
08-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Sorry for the boring report. I just figured I would let you all know.

No apologies necessary. At least its a fly fishing report. Next trip over to Abrams via Chilhowee lake take along a 3-4 wt fly rod and some small/med size poppers. The sunfish will tear them up when nothing else seems to be biting. I try to go at least twice a year just for the scenery and great bream fishing from the kayak. The fall colors are spectacular reflecting off the clear water.

buzzmcmanus
08-22-2008, 02:02 PM
FYI, Alcoa is going to fix the sinkhole in the dam this year. Starting on September 2nd they are going to be drawing the lake down about 20-25 feet. Should be completed by late 2008 or early 2009.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20080822/NEWS/244448

10ML
08-25-2008, 08:31 AM
I know. Can you beleive that!!!! The fish in that lake are huge but when they do that there won't be anything left in there. That's too bad because I was really looking foward to fishing the small spring run that happens there. I figured it out last year and I was so happy. I would only get one or 2 big fish but they were quite big. My biggest was 22".

But...that is soon to be all gone!!!!

Gerry Romer
08-25-2008, 10:43 PM
So I take it you're an Edwards fan?

Jswitow
08-28-2008, 11:44 PM
It should be interesting to see what it looks like when lowered. I may become more riverine. Hopefully the fish will be able to find enough cool oxygenated water to make it through.
John