PDA

View Full Version : Midge Help

tennswede
08-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I've run out of my small midges 20 and smaller sizes. I was wondering what you experts do for build up of the bodies. I use beadheads and then I'll just build up a head. I've found that it takes a lot of winding of thread. Do any of you use any foundation like wire or something else? I'm worried abut getting the fly too heavy.Any suggestions?

Hugh Hartsell
08-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi Hans,
Here are some thoughts for starters to build midge bodies. Try a base of thread as the underbody and then cover that with a couple of Pheasanttail barbs and wrap forward. Leave a short thorax space for peacock herl or dubbing, or something of your choosing.
Another is to use turkey tail feather barbs, Goose biots make an excellent midge body. Hares mask makes a great thorax to finish the fly. Very small midge sized ultra wire makes a good body with peacock herl for the thorax. It's a good idea to counter wrap with some type of ultra wire when using delicate feather barbs for the body.
You can use V-ribbing to make good looking blackfly pupas. The list goes on and on. I'm sure you get a ton of other good ideas.
Hugh

tennswede
08-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all the tips, I hadn't thought about using the barbs of turkey feathers. I'll try that next.

Thanks,

billyspey
08-19-2008, 08:58 PM
wire bodys make a great midge such as copper with dubed black head.' black and silver and so on very effective.

tennswede
08-19-2008, 09:10 PM
If I were to use a beadhead, will it be too heavy with the wire also?

ChemEAngler
08-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Hans,
I just noticed your blog, very nice. I look forward to keeping up with your travels and ramblings. :biggrin:

tennswede
08-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks chemEAngler,

I will be doing some trips in October, got too much other stuff for a month and a half to deal with. I'll try to update with some other stuff in between.

monktrout
08-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Hans, Hugh had some great ideas. Only a bit to add. Start your brassie with black thread, then wrap the wire so the black thread underneath can be seen. Nice segmentation. Finish off with a black head or peacock. I tie mine in sz 22. I also use a sz16 3xshort for midges. If using a bead I try not to use a downturned hook eye in small sizes. Also small BHPT or PT are hard to beat.
Sure Knots, Monk

tennswede
08-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks monktrout, yeah, I kind of like these little midges. They are easy to tie for a beginner like me.

3wt
08-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Hans, you may have all the suggestions you need but what i do is very simple. I just use 210 denier flat waxed thread. Builds up very fast and makes flies last much longer!

Gerry Romer
08-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Anybody else here using Coats and Clarks for their midges??

flyman
08-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Hans,
I use quite a few different types of materials depending on the stage of the life cycle I'm trying to imitate. I use peacock, dubbing, thread, ostridge herl, CDC, and glass beads just to name a few. Depending on how far you want to take it, midge fishing, especially in our tail waters can be quite technical. Learning a few simple facts about rise forms and how to identify what stage of the midge (larva, pupa, adult)the fish are feeding on can greatly increase your success. Here are a couple of the best basic articles on midge fishing and midge life cycles that I've found.

http://flyfisherman.com/rmwest/rpmidges/index.html#patterns

http://www.sethgreentu.org/entomology/entomidge.html

Most of the time I fish a weighted and un weighted fly in tandem. I think fish eat more of the pupa stage than any other stage because just like any other fly as it emerges, that's when the fly is the most vulnerable.

Take a look at those links and a few midges that I tie and see if it gives you any ideas. Click on the thumbnail and when the photo comes up, then click on it again to view it in a larger format.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/flyman1/

tennswede
08-21-2008, 09:35 AM
3wt, I actually thought about that the other day, I do have some 210denier at home. I think you have the easiest and quickest idea there.

Flyman: Thanks for the links, I do fish tandem like you do with a somewhat larger point fly and then a tie in a smaller fly to the bend.

Thanks again,

monktrout
08-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Flyman, Thanks for the links. Great looking midge patterns. You said you tied an unweighted midge off a weighted midge. For example BHPT with a unweighted zebra midge off the bend or off the tag of a blood knot? Indicator or no? After 17 years of midge fishing I'd like to get all the stars to line up and shine on my fledging efforts. Thanks to you and for all for sharing. It is appreciated.
Monk

tennswede
01-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Puh, I've been tying midges now for a while, I'm midged out LOL. That's not a word I know.
Hope you all have had some nice time off from work. Hoping to try my midges on Clinch as soon as the generators will cooperate.