PDA

View Full Version : 8/16/2008-tremont

lauxier
08-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Got off at 1PM--Grabbed my stuff--headed down I-75--arrived in Townsend at about 5PM-It was good to be in the park--everything appeared to be as before,in order,and ready to be fished-pulled off the gravel road onto a familiar turn out next to the stream-rigged a dry-fly with nymph dropper-it was as it was supposed to be,the mountains,the stream I was ready to go-THEN a SUV pulledbehind me--doors opened--3 guys got out--they were drinking beer-walked to the stream-one guy finished his beer and tossed the can in the stream-the can bounced off a rock or two before submerging in the water-the next guy finished his beer and tossed his can as the first guy had-I said"Fella's please don't litter the streams"they answered saying it was their park,they were taxpayers,and they would do whatever the h____ they wanted to do!!!and to mind my own business!!!they stared me down for a minute or two then left,scratched off,left in dust and flying gravel-now here's the good part-these boys were dressed to do some fishing--they looked like fly fishing poster boys,new waders,new vests,and lots of cold beer.I should have turned them in but I opted to fish out the beer cans and continue on withmy fishing.So much for trashing the park.

ChemEAngler
08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
That is so aggravating, how did you keep your cool during that. It really is a shame that people don't respect what we have here. I would like to find the address of that person, take a whole truckload of garbage to their house, and dump it all over their yard.

Travis

jeffnles1
08-20-2008, 05:02 PM
You did the right thing. When you're alone like that, it's best to not start a fight with a couple drunk rednecks. Too bad there's such limited cell phone access in the park or you could have made a phone call to the rangers with the license information from their suv.

Thanks for fishing the cans out of the river.

Jeff

ijsouth
08-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Just reading this makes me angry....first of all, what business did they have pulling up right behind you, when they could see you were fishing that stretch? Secondly, my answer to "I'm a taxpayer, etc etc" would be to say that I'm a taxpayer too, and you're messing up my share of the park (at that given period in time). You handled it far better than I would have - I know my temper would have gotten the better of me. The worst thing is, they were supposedly there to fish - they don't even have the excuse of being just a typical dumb tourist.

We fished Straight Fork on Sunday, and while it is a pretty stream, it does have a lot of litter. I found a can in the stream, and one of my daughters found a case of Bud, with a few cans left in it. I imagine a lot of that stuff is from teenagers driving up there from Cherokee - again, I don't think it's fishermen doing that.

tennswede
08-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Unfortunately this seem to be the way everywhere. I found Abrams creek badly littered a couple of weeks ago. I tried to pick up what I could. My driveway and yard in Knoxville is littered almost daily. I just don't understand the mentality. It's a losing battle and all we can do is to pick up after the slobs.

pineman19
08-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Hans! Maybe I drive a new route when I am in your part of town slammin down beers and Big Macs, LOL. I f you show me your Clinch secrets I will change my ways.

BlueRaiderFan
08-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Just reading this makes me angry....first of all, what business did they have pulling up right behind you, when they could see you were fishing that stretch? Secondly, my answer to "I'm a taxpayer, etc etc" would be to say that I'm a taxpayer too, and you're messing up my share of the park (at that given period in time). You handled it far better than I would have - I know my temper would have gotten the better of me. The worst thing is, they were supposedly there to fish - they don't even have the excuse of being just a typical dumb tourist.

We fished Straight Fork on Sunday, and while it is a pretty stream, it does have a lot of litter. I found a can in the stream, and one of my daughters found a case of Bud, with a few cans left in it. I imagine a lot of that stuff is from teenagers driving up there from Cherokee - again, I don't think it's fishermen doing that.

Bad idea, brother! Three against one? No way! Best to just keep your mouth shut and take down their tag number. They won't be so cocky with a couple of Rangers there later on.;)

ijsouth
08-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Oh, I agree...it would be dumb to take them on, particularly because I'm not the biggest guy in the world....but, just reading about this lights my fuse.

Probably the thing to do would be to take a picture of the plate...as was mentioned earlier, if the cell phone coverage wasn't so spotty, a quick call to a ranger would be in order. Almost makes one want to invest in a satellite phone.

BlueRaiderFan
08-21-2008, 08:53 AM
You did the right thing. Three against one = BAD butt whippin...maybe death! I would just write down their tag after they left and give it and a description of the truck as I was leaving the park.

lauxier
08-21-2008, 10:03 AM
what is the fine for littering in the park?I actually turned a litterer in once and nothing came of it--i got their tag number--the vehicle had a Illinois license plate--Ended up being a pretty good day--capped off by a couple of my wife's awesome BLT's--I guess I should have told them,that was not the first time I have been stared down-I boxed for a year in PacAf while I was in Vietnam--when those guys put the stare on you,they meant it-that's why I guess I did not get uncomfortable or fearful-if these guys were going to do something they would have done it--getting physical with a stranger is not an easy thing to do,because you don't know what your getting into,could be you might have abit of brutal fun beating a guy up,on the other hand you might take on a former bad kid who volunteered for the Nam,a rock and roller with one foot in the grave who would assume he was about to be beat on,but who knows someone will pay because he will get one good shot,probablya right lead followed by a roundhouse left,that is,if he can still throw a combo,but I don't think these guys were serious--I think they were just drinking and wanted impress each other probably on vacation.

Rog 1
08-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Glad to hear the day ended on a good note for you....I personally don't do much fishing where I have such problems....try to walk in to where such psuedo fishermen are too lazy to go....littering has always been a problem in the park....I will always honk when something goes out the window just to let them know someone is watching....it is always amazing where trash will show up even in the backcountry....your comments about picking on a stranger reminded me of when I first went to college....my roommate warned me not to pick on the little guys....they were the ones who grew up having to protect themselves and usually were the toughest.

18inchbrown
08-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Brothers, I know how you feel. Littering just p#sses me off. To speak up to three drunks when you are alone, well that takes a set brother. I admire your courage.

The only way to stop littering is to put the punishment for littering high. Say $5000 for littering in the Park. How about littering on purpose from a moving car being equal to drunk driving. I cannot for the live of me understand adults who litter. They are just morons.

Rog 1
08-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Actually I don't think it needs to be much higher...these are federal violations even if minor....I think if you just required an appearance in the appropriate court it would make an impression.....and the appropriate court is nowhere near the park.....would probably be in Knoxville on the Tn side and Asheville or a city of like size that holds a federal courthouse on the NC side....make them come back....just the price of gas these days should make an impression on them.....or maybe take their photo when ticketed and post it at the HQ and campgrounds on a Wall of Shame where everyone could see what and who they are.....they do this with johns who get busted for soliciting prostitution and it has had an effect.

BlueRaiderFan
08-21-2008, 12:26 PM
what is the fine for littering in the park?I actually turned a litterer in once and nothing came of it--i got their tag number--the vehicle had a Illinois license plate--Ended up being a pretty good day--capped off by a couple of my wife's awesome BLT's--I guess I should have told them,that was not the first time I have been stared down-I boxed for a year in PacAf while I was in Vietnam--when those guys put the stare on you,they meant it-that's why I guess I did not get uncomfortable or fearful-if these guys were going to do something they would have done it--getting physical with a stranger is not an easy thing to do,because you don't know what your getting into,could be you might have abit of brutal fun beating a guy up,on the other hand you might take on a former bad kid who volunteered for the Nam,a rock and roller with one foot in the grave who would assume he was about to be beat on,but who knows someone will pay because he will get one good shot,probablya right lead followed by a roundhouse left,that is,if he can still throw a combo,but I don't think these guys were serious--I think they were just drinking and wanted impress each other probably on vacation.

Yeah, I've noticed people are braver when they have a few friends to back them up. It would have been hilarious had you put all three of them in their place. :biggrin:

Brian Griffing
08-21-2008, 02:21 PM
You know, if you had a gun with you, it might have been different.

Allright, allright, take a deep breath, I'm kidding. Just having a little fun at work.

cardfly
08-21-2008, 02:40 PM
That's funny Brian.

How bout looking at them and just break into a real loud version of "It's Raining Men.":smile:

Just having fun at work too.

Paula Begley
08-21-2008, 02:45 PM

Allright, allright, take a deep breath, I'm kidding. Just having a little fun at work.

Heh........ ;)

Paula

BlueRaiderFan
08-21-2008, 06:48 PM

*sigh* :rolleyes:

nvr2L8
08-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Dancin with the devil there, Brian. I get the feeling the devil (a.k.a. "The Hammer") has a hair trigger right now. In a fight, I would bet on the All Mighty Administrator. We better stick to "Information, Friendship and Fly Fishing" if we know what's good for us. :rolleyes:

Paula Begley
08-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Dancin with the devil there, Brian. I get the feeling the devil (a.k.a. "The Hammer") has a hair trigger right now. In a fight, I would bet on the All Mighty Administrator. We better stick to "Information, Friendship and Fly Fishing" if we know what's good for us. :rolleyes:

Hmmm...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/psbegley/shedevil.jpg

Paula

I actually recognize humor when I see it. ;)

nvr2L8
08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Dang, how do you come up with this stuff so fast?? (i.e., such appropriate clip art)

Whew!:redface:

Paula Begley
08-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Dang, how do you come up with this stuff so fast?? (i.e., such appropriate clip art)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/psbegley/devil.jpg

Direct phone line. :cool:

Paula

ijsouth
08-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Hey Paula...the girls thank you again for their present - and it looks like we might not be done with the mountains - at least for daughter #1 and myself...weather permitting.