PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials

UofMontanaAlum
08-25-2008, 05:21 PM
I am just getting started as a fly tier. I started about a year ago, learning the basics from LRO board member, Drag_Line. My father recently picked up the sport of fly fishing and I thought for Christmas this year I would buy him a nice fly box and fill it with flies I tied. I wanted to put a post together of the flies going in his box. Instead of just posting pictures of the flies, I thought it might be a good idea to make tutorials for each fly and before Christmas I will post a picture of the completed fly box. I am always open to critiques so please, if you see something totally off, reply to the post and let me know. I don't want to give my dad any "bad flies". :biggrin:

We'll start with an easy and fun bug to tie.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Elmobile/PeacockCaddiscopy-1.jpg

ChemEAngler
08-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Looks good. I did the same thing for my dad last year for Christmas. Just seemed to have more thought behind it than a gift card ;).

By the way, how did you make that cool looking step sequence thing? Photobucket has really added some cool features lately, but I have yet to fully experiment with them.

Travis

Flyfishjeep
08-25-2008, 08:34 PM
That is a great Idea!!!! My dad would love something like that as well.
Way to be creative.
The tutorial looks great, keep them coming.

UofMontanaAlum
08-25-2008, 09:25 PM
The image above was built in Photoshop CS3, not Photobucket :biggrin:.

Gerry Romer
08-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Just curious. Who is the tutorial for? Is this part of the present?

UofMontanaAlum
08-25-2008, 10:04 PM
No, it is for everyone on LRO. I have been playing with Photoshop and thought this would be a neat idea? If you think its stupid I can take it down? My dad doesn't do much on the internet so I don't have to worry about him seeing this.

Gerry Romer
08-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Actually, I think it's a pretty cool idea. I just wasn't sure who it was for. I'm anxious to see future installlments!!

UofMontanaAlum
08-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Good. I was hoping I wasn't going to get boo'ed off stage already. My first fly wasn't too bad was it? :)

jzimmerman
08-27-2008, 04:25 PM
I think it looks great. I also think this is a great way for us to share ideas that we have come up with to help each other out.

For example you could tie in the peacock hearl when you are wrapping your thread towards the bend of the hook then go ahead and wrap the herl towards the eye in the opposite direction that you are wrapping your thread leaving your thread still at the back of the hook. Then wrap your thread over the herl towards the eye of the hook. It is the same effect as the copper wire but with less weight. This will make your flies last for more fish.

I hope that wasn't as clear as mud :redface:

bigpopper
08-27-2008, 09:47 PM
That fly looks great! What a great gift idea for the Dad. This is a geat way to see step by step of some flies i'd like to tye. I'm thinkin on getting into tying this winter when things slow down. Getting fly tying kit for Christmas perhaps. Really lookin foward to more Tutorials :smile: . Thanks!

Mark <::><

UofMontanaAlum
08-27-2008, 10:51 PM
For example you could tie in the peacock hearl when you are wrapping your thread towards the bend of the hook then go ahead and wrap the herl towards the eye in the opposite direction that you are wrapping your thread leaving your thread still at the back of the hook. Then wrap your thread over the herl towards the eye of the hook. It is the same effect as the copper wire but with less weight. This will make your flies last for more fish.

Great idea! I will definitely use that when I tie that pattern in the future. I was worried about the copper adding too much weight. This is a great way to keep the weight down. Thanks!!!

UofMontanaAlum
09-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Another easy tie: The Griffith's Gnat.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Elmobile/GriffithsGnat.jpg

jzimmerman
09-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Another good looking fly. I have been having good luck with these on the clinch river as of late.

UofMontanaAlum
09-04-2008, 02:08 AM
This tie is more complex than the previous two but still on an easy level for most tiers.

Crackleback variant : The Foam Crackleback

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Elmobile/FoamCrackleback.jpg

The crackleback is my favorite fly to fish. The only gripe I have with the crackleback is that it sinks quickly and requires fly dressing often. I decided to tie in some craft foam to compensate.

jzimmerman
09-04-2008, 01:34 PM
This is my first time to see a foam crackle back. I bet you could slaughter them in the park with one in an orange foam color here real soon. I haven't switched to orange yet and am still doing well with yellow colors, "never sink caddis and such." About how many fish can you catch on them before they start to unravel?

UofMontanaAlum
09-05-2008, 11:32 AM
About how many fish can you catch on them before they start to unravel?

Depends. If you buy them for $0.60/ea online they last about 2-3 fish before the hackle breaks and you have to tie on another. I am assuming mine will last alittle longer due to the fact (and I forgot to mention this in my tutorial) that after I hackle the fly, I go over the hackle with 5x tippet for durability.

jzimmerman
09-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Good deal I tied some of these up last night and got the idea of doing the same thing with the Griffith's Gnat just with black foam. I really like the way the way you can get distinct body segments using foam, which lead to another idea. I always catch fish in the park on a parachute ant. I have recently started tying all of my posts with foam b/c of the floatability "if thats a word" a yellow foam post has been one of my favorites b/c they are easy to see. My idea is to tie a ant pattern using black foam, black thread, and maybe some hackle. I'll try to get a picture of a demo ant up as soon as possible. I think it could be a killer combo especially on the smaller streams in the smokies.

UofMontanaAlum
09-05-2008, 05:23 PM
I think we are on to something here ... if it sinks, tie some foam on it :biggrin:

UofMontanaAlum
09-05-2008, 11:31 PM
From the "New online fly fishing..." thread:

By the way ...diggin those Fly Tying Tutorials

Thanks! :biggrin: I am having fun with it.

(didn't want to hijack the other thread)

bigpopper
09-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Nice flies! Still enjoying the tutorials.:smile: These look like they'd catch lots of trout.:biggrin:
Mark <::><

David Knapp
09-06-2008, 09:57 PM
I am assuming mine will last alittle longer due to the fact (and I forgot to mention this in my tutorial) that after I hackle the fly, I go over the hackle with 5x tippet for durability.

Interesting idea...I haven't thought of using monofilament to reinforce a fly. I often wrap thread back over/through palmered hackle to reinforce but might have to try this for a change...

Bran
09-08-2008, 10:10 AM
OK, I really like this but I need you to go back to the real basic for me for a minute. You said to "Palmer" the herl and hackle, can you just basically explain what that means? I see the result but I tried one the other evening and I'm not sure how to get that end result, in other words "mine don't look right".http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Bran
09-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Think I just answered my own question, I found a description on a google search. Thanks anyhow.

UofMontanaAlum
09-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Think I just answered my own question, I found a description on a google search. Thanks anyhow.

Simply bring your hackle forward in evenly spaced wraps. Tighter wraps for heavy hackled flies and spaced out wraps for thinner hackle like the crackleback.

Bran
09-09-2008, 08:45 AM
After finding some more explanation on tying in the hackle and wrapping it I tried another Griffith Knat last night on a sz 14 dry TMC just so I could see what I was doing a little better. It turned out similar to yours and was simple to do. The only problem was the herl kept breaking, try as I might I can't seem to be gentle enough with it.

MickinMS
09-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Bran,

I have the same problem when I use strung peacock herl. I have much better luck when I buy the peacock eyes and cut the herl from there. That strung hackle seems to be really brittle.

Mick

UofMontanaAlum
09-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Tie in two strands of herl next time. Use your hackle pliers on both strands, twist the strands together evenly up the herl making a "rope" and palmer it forward. That should help keep it from breaking.

I use strung herl and it works fine.

Bran
09-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Gotcha, I'll try that. Thanks guys, I've just recently started tying but I must say it's a lot of fun. I just need instruction and tips, so I really appreciate your help.

Troutman
09-09-2008, 10:51 AM
You can also let the herls soak in a glass of water for a few minutes before tying in and wrapping. makes the herl more pliable and less prone to breaking. This is the same thing you do when your tying stripped quills for a Quill Gordon.

UofMontanaAlum
09-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Gotcha, I'll try that. Thanks guys, I've just recently started tying but I must say it's a lot of fun. I just need instruction and tips, so I really appreciate your help.

Me too and yes it is. Addicting is more like it. I can sit down to tie "one or two" and end up with two dozen a few hours later :biggrin:

UofMontanaAlum
09-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Instead of posting another thread, I will just add this to my ongoing tutorials thread ...

I built a "ghetto" macro photo studio today. :smile:

What you need:
10x10x10 cardboard box
4 sheets of white paper
razor blade
2-3 lamps

Cut 3 square holes in 3 sides of the box, cover holes with light-weight bright white paper taped tightly over holes, curve a sheet of same paper from the back side of box to the floor of the box using double sided tape to secure and you have yourself a macro studio.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Elmobile/P9090026.jpg

BWO in my macro photo studio ...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Elmobile/P9090023.jpg

Playin around alittle more. Size 22 black beadhead zebra midge.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Elmobile/P9090034.jpg

It will also come in handy when I want to post pictures of items for sale or for gear reviews ...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Elmobile/P9090032.jpg

I am using a Olmpus 790SW camera on macro mode and a few other options selected. I still need a mini tripod and I might buy some different lamps, otherwise I am happy with the turnout.

Total cost : $0.79 :biggrin:

Flyfishjeep
09-09-2008, 11:04 PM
I like the macro studio, and if you need a good used mini tripod you could call the "School for kids who don't read good" - Zoolander
Sorry for the lame reference, but it is what came to mind while reading your last posts.

Seriously though, it all looks great. Keep up the good work.
Be careful though, Byron may hire you to do all his photography, and then you will never have time to fish.

UofMontanaAlum
09-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Picked up a full spectrum desk lamp at Office Max today for $14.90 on clearance. It looks and functions just like the OTT Light I was going to buy at Michaels for $150. This is what it looks like:

http://www.lightbulbkenny.com/images/desk_lamp.jpg

I will be posting another tutorial later tonight. I've gotta try out my new toy :biggrin: