PDA

View Full Version : Holston River

FFM4LIFE
08-25-2008, 09:06 PM
What are some good flies to use below cherokee?

waterwolf
08-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Beadheads, but you might want to wait until next year. Water temps are scorching hot and if any fish are still alive it will be detrimental to their health to catch them. Call TVA and thank them for their extortion of the coldwater layer in Cherokee Lake.

Sorry for the TVA jab at the end, but it is a source of fire right now.

BHPT, Small Caddis, Princes, and some midge stuff at times.

canerod
08-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Waterwolf I was just wondering why a guide who posts here a lot and fishes the Holston often in his latest report says the water temps. are just fine up towards the dam.I do not know the river at all, but he must be on private water as I did not think there was much access in that area?

golfballs03
08-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Maybe to trick unsuspecting patrons. i'm joking. when is the last time he updated his report?

waterwolf
08-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Waterwolf I was just wondering why a guide who posts here a lot and fishes the Holston often in his latest report says the water temps. are just fine up towards the dam.I do not know the river at all, but he must be on private water as I did not think there was much access in that area?

Don't think you will find a single Holston report typed by me, if you look at the Hiwasee thread you will see where I said the water temps soared. Water temps on the Holston don't usually gradually warm up, it happens dang near instantly for some reason.

Water temps are in the mid. to upper 70's from the dam downstream. There is very little public water on the Holston, except at the Dam and Nances Ferry. I usually float, and would not put my boat in the Holston to trout fish right now, for pay or for free. I was at Nances on Saturday putting my boat in, and the water was 82 degrees at 9:00 am.

TVA ran a little too much water this year and the coldwater reserve was exhausted. We all know that river is touch and go, but things can be done to ensure the trout survive, however those measures were not taken this year. Lots of variable came into play, and it is just the way it is, some years they survive, other years they die.

kylemc
08-26-2008, 03:23 PM
is it still a good float for the bronze backs?

canerod
08-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Mr. Waterwolf I do not see anywhere that I said you posted the report. I do not know who you are or if you are a guide or not.To make it a little clearer a person who is a guide and has a web site where fishing reports are posted with pictures said that (August 23) the water was much cooler up towards the dam.As I said I know very little about the river but his photos do not look like anything real close to the dam. That is why I felt it must be private access. By the way he has had some real nice fish in his reports.

lar
08-26-2008, 04:42 PM
I personally have not fished the Holston in about 3 weeks, but i have several friends that have been fishing it lately with good luck. They have not reported high water temps or a slump in the action. The access is the real issue in the good fishing areas, unless you float down and fish or know someone.

Just my 2 cents.

golfballs03
08-26-2008, 05:08 PM
What kind of fish are they catching?

waterwolf
08-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Nevermind guess I was wrong, y'all enjoy.

mikebone
08-26-2008, 07:29 PM
I floated the Holston three days last week with clients. The water temperature was 65 degrees when we started early in the morning and reached 70 degrees by about 1 o'clock with a noticeable drop in fish activity.
Waterwolf is right about water temps changing very rapidly on the Holston. The river has warmed 5 degrees in less than 10 days. While 70 degrees will probably not kill trout on it's own, stress at 70 degrees can. Especially if care is not taken in landing and releasing fish. Let the water warm another 5 or 6 degrees and the fish are in real trouble.
The temps did stay cooler for a longer period of time this year but when Cherokee lake is out of cold water that is it. It happens every year..at least every year I have fished it ( since they started stocking trout). It doesn't make much difference what section you are in when the lake temperature reaches a certain point no cold water gets released. We normally stop fishing the river when that happens, yes ,you can still catch fish but a higher number of those released will not survive.
There is no private water on the Holston river. It is a public fishery. Hope this helps. Good fishing to everyone.

waterwolf
08-26-2008, 07:49 PM
True statement about the private water, and I took the original statement to mean private in terms of access. The whole river is public below the high water mark as Mike stated. Sorry if I caused any confusion on that.

canerod
08-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks to all for explaining the temperature situation on the river. I meant private access, which there seems to be some if you know where.

waterwolf
08-26-2008, 09:59 PM
It is just like anywhere else, take some time and drive the river and knock on doors. There are folks who will let you cross and there are folks who won't. Nances is the best public access point and is good up until Mid-July usually. Pretty water and fairly straightforward fishing. The really nice thing about the Holston in my opinion is that during April and May the water schedules are usually fantastic and down that low the water never rises or falls so you can fish anytime you get the hankering.