PDA

View Full Version : Rainfall totals

mtnman2888
08-27-2008, 06:43 AM
While i don't know exact totals for any of the park streams, this is quite interesting. Over on Mt. Mitchell in NC, the South Toe River was recording a flow of 19cfs. After this storm, it peaked to a reading of over 8,000cfs! I had to double and triple check to make sure, so unless the gauge somehow messed up that's an incredible amount.

I think most park areas received between 4-8", but i could be wrong. I know the Oconaluftee was in excess of 6".

Just what the doctor ordered.

ijsouth
08-27-2008, 08:26 AM
It looks like most of the area received a good soaking rain...not too fast too soon. However, there were obviously exceptions, and there were all sorts of flood warnings out for that area around Mt Mitchell. Down here, we kind of lucked out with it - got some rain out of it, but not nearly as much as areas to the east of us - for example, Thomasville, Ga got almost 28 inches. For a while, it looked like we might get similar amounts.

Now, we've got our eyes on Gustav....it's hard to get a good read on where it might go in the Gulf once it gets there....I'm hoping it goes in in a sparsely populated area - right now, the trend seems to be to the south and west of us, possibly Mexico.

Brian Griffing
08-27-2008, 09:45 AM
When I walked the dogs here in Maryville Monday night, it was lightly raining. When my three-year-old woke me up at 0430 Tuesday morning, it was lightly raining. When I left for work at 0700 Tuesday, it was lightly raining. When I got to work in Knoxville, it was raining hard. It rained all morning long, without interupption, and into the afternoon. I'm sure the mountains got even more rain, but down here in the valley, we got one heck of a soakin. I hope there's more to come.

Speckleman5
08-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Unfortunately, the Pigeon is running a little angry right now. I think it may have gotten out of the banks last night. With any more rain today it may escalate. I was just kidding when I said let it rain until October.... haha. Should make for a great weekend fishing.

DarrinG
08-27-2008, 02:41 PM
I can see part of the Mt. Mitchell chain from my backyard (Celo Mountain) and we indeed got a lot of rain. At my house I had 6.7 inches of rain in the gauge.

old tom
08-27-2008, 02:56 PM
We got about 6" here outside Bryson City. Your results may vary.

Did a recon run up Deep Creek this morning. On the way to the trail, the Tuck through downtown Bryson City was ragin mud red. I suspect it's that way back toward Sylva too. Deep Creek was high as expected, but not near as off color as the Tuck. You could see rocks on bottom in most places. You could see weeds laying down on the sides where it had been up about a foot more before the water started receeding. I wouldn't wade it now, but steams of that size should be fishable by the weekend... assuming we don't get another couple of inches of rain. I ran up Indian Creek a mile or two and small streams of that size (average 8 - 10' across) should also be in good shape.