PDA

View Full Version : Snake Eats Fish In Little River

rainshaker
08-28-2008, 02:04 AM
Apparently, there are tubers, snakes, and fish in the Little River. This according to Channel 6 WATE...who knew?

http://www.wate.com/global/story.asp?s=8879256# :biggrin:

ijsouth
08-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks Bran....I also read about the snake incident - geez, people have become such wusses. A long time ago, my parents were house hunting, and were about to buy the house that I grew up in. I was 9 at the time, so naturally I wandered out back to the drainage canal behind the house. I saw a good-sized cottonmouth in the process of swallowing a big goggle-eye bream...I thought it was cool, and so did my folks and the realtor. For me, it sealed the deal - it meant there were fish in there, and that I could go fishing anytime I wanted to, in my own back yard! I went fishing every day, as long as the weather was decent - all sorts of canals, bayous and swamp to explore. I wish my kids had the same opportunity today - but now everything's built-up. The point is, my snake was POISONOUS, but people didn't freak out. Now, we've become so risk-averse (as a society), paper cuts are feared. Is it any wonder our kids are in such bad physical shape? You don't see kids outside nearly as much anymore.

Barbara
08-28-2008, 08:55 AM
I agree people are different from my parents' and my grandparents' generation. My brother and I got to do great outdoor stuff with my Dad who had enough common sense to teach us about dangerous things (snakes, deep water, chainsaws, etc) and supervise us around those things.

Yesterday on Little River in the campground, I was wading carefully because of the current/higher water (and being clumsy). I watched a skinny little girl, maybe 10, wade the river barefoot in a swim suit right above me. No parents in sight. Minutes later I spotted the Dad, in a tube, with a little boy, maybe 2 or 3. He had put a lifejacket on the little guy before blasting off toward one of the roughest bunch of rocks and water in the area. :eek:

Sometimes I wonder if those parenting classes should be required.......

Paula Begley
08-28-2008, 09:18 AM
I moved these posts from the kayaker thread, since it was off topic for that subject.

Carry on. ;)

Paula

mtnman2888
08-28-2008, 09:39 AM
I've seen that happen once many years ago in the Watauga River in Boone, NC. It was pretty neat to see, although the one i saw didn't "seem" to be as big as they make this one out to be.

If only those people would have saw a big hellbender too then there would be even less of a tuber hatch in the summer.

Gerry Romer
08-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Anybody see whether that snake was using a green weenie or a BHPT?? I'm bettin' green weenie... that fish looks to be a good 10"!:eek:

fly fisherman DK
08-28-2008, 06:04 PM
WOW!!!! That's crazy.:eek:

Jswitow
08-29-2008, 12:08 AM
I have seen otters, minks and snakes eating fish (somebody call PETA!). Had a dern water snake hanging on one on a stringer one time on Little River, they are pretty aggressive when they think they have found an easy meal.
Funny story. I lived on a farm in Ky when I was a teenager. We had a 5 acre creek fed lake........ full of bass. I didn't know how good I had it! Anyway one day in the summer my friend Don and I were on our way to fish. We had been there that morning and left the collapsable fish basket laying on the bank in the grass. As I walked up to it I saw a snake in the basket, must have been after the scent, for there were no fish in it. Well being the Huck Finn that I am (to this day!) I had to try to catch it (a water snake). At the time I didn't know what it was, but the head wasn't very big.
We chased that snake around that field for a minute or two. Finally I had my foot lightly on it right behind it's head trying not to hurt it. I reached down to get it behind the head and the devil got loose and bit me on the hand.
I ran around for a minute or two..........waiting for eminent death. Of course it didn't happen, the snake may have died though, for I was at that age when a boy doesn't like to take baths very often! Not like I had to be clean for school or anything!
I give snakes a wide birth anymore when I see them.
Best,
John