PDA

View Full Version : Rattler on trail above Elkmont

Kytroutbum
08-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Watch where you put your hands and feet above Elkmont. Last week, I fished above the campground on Little River. A rattler was spotted crossing or along the trail between the "bench" and the old turn around where the rock is in the trail several times during the week. He was probaby coming up to warm up- cool nights.They don't travel very far and I've seen them up there a few times years ago, so they are still there.

Remember 80-90% of snakes bites come from someone TRYING TO KILL OR CATCH A SNAKE. So be aware and LEAVE IT ALONE!!

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum

ChemEAngler
08-28-2008, 12:00 PM
I was up that way over the weekend and had my eyes peeled for them. I don't much like snakes, actually I avoid them if possible.
Travis

mtnman2888
08-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Found this fellow on thunderhead prong around sams creek in june. He was sunbathing on a rock in midday, kinda weird for june.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m229/mtnman2888/LittleRiver6-210-08007.jpg

Bran
08-28-2008, 03:40 PM
He's beautiful!!

bugg
08-28-2008, 06:06 PM
found this guy near deep creek. he was probably 4ft. long

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk287/charliehowell/random/DSC02045-1.jpg

Jswitow
08-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Wow that looks like an old one, and about ready to shed? Awfully dark and lots o rattles.

Gives me the willys!

Thanks,
John

Kytroutbum
08-29-2008, 12:40 AM
The eyes on that last rattler look scaled over as if it were starting to shed. They have less vision and are more irritable.

Pit Vipers- Rattlers, Copperheads and Cottonmouths know you are there before they see you. They can sense your body heat. Rattlers and Copperheads normally don't want to mess with you, unless you are a threat to them. They will try to use their camoflauge to protect them. As a Grad student at Morehead State University, I found road killed copperheads on campus, in the very early fall mornings, and saw them around Eagle Lake. Most students didn't even know they were there.

The best action with them is no action. Most bites are the result of attempts to handle or kill them. Remember the snake does not need to be coiled to strike!! Along a frequented trail or stream, I might find a "long-long" pole and move them a ways away. There is a lot of mythology around snakes, so don't believe all you hear.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum

jeffnles1
08-29-2008, 04:51 PM
I've only had one snake be aggressive towad me and that was a cottonmouth. I always avoid them and give them the room they need and deserve. I rarely even see snakes, they are usually well hidden and while I'm watching where I step, I don't go looking for them.

This cottonmouth though chased me for about 15 feet or so. I saw it and stopped in my tracks and started moving away from the shore of the lake it saw me and charged.

Maybe it had a fish that it was getting ready to eat and was protecting it's kill. Anyway, that was the only time a snake ever showed aggression toward me.

Jeff

knucklehead
08-30-2008, 12:47 AM
greetings all. great pics of slippery serpents. i've been trying to find rattlers and coppers to photograph. unfortunately, i've had little luck or no functioning camera. good to see all these creepers are still around.

jwebb541
08-30-2008, 06:22 AM
greetings all. great pics of slippery serpents. i've been trying to find rattlers and coppers to photograph. unfortunately, i've had little luck or no functioning camera. good to see all these creepers are still around.

Seems like the name fits in this case. just kidding

Stonefly
08-31-2008, 03:28 PM
I've only had one snake be aggressive towad me and that was a cottonmouth. Jeff

Same here. My cousin and I spent a lot of time in the oxbow lakes off the Mississippi. He made the mistake once of casting at a moc, which came after the boat, dang near as fast as I could skull it in the other direction.

sb

snaildarter
09-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Interesting stats found today from The Economist:

Link (http://www.economist.com/daily/chartgallery/displayStory.cfm?story_id=12079086&source=features_box4)

Seems that the average American is 3,100 times more likely to die of falling, 67 times more likely to die of drowning in a bathtub, and 7 times more likely to die of lightning than to die of being snake bit. The average American is more likely to die of having their PJ's catch on fire than by snake bite (maybe from smoking in bed?). Of course, fisherman are not quite "average" Americans.

Of thousands of snakes I've seen while hiking and fishing (yes thousands, I see snakes practically every time I go out, and don't know why others don't see them), the only poisonous snake that was ever aggressive toward me was a copperhead on the Honey Creek Loop in Big South Fork. Walking along, big rock next to the trail, and AAAHHH! This snake strikes at me from under a fern next to the rock. It then sidewindered forward another foot or two and struck at me again, although I had already jumped back about 5 feet. It staying in the trail looking p'd for about 2 more seconds, then went under the rock as fast as it could.

MickinMS
09-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I saw something cool/creepy yesterday. I drove over to the Spring River in Northern Arkansas. I was fishing this very weedy section and catching quite a few fish off of a peacock sow bug when I started hearing some splashing. I look over about 25 yards away and some type of snake had caught a 12 inch rainbow and was dragging it to a log in the river. I never new they caught live, healthy fish but this fish was fighting like mad to get away. I tried to get over to get a pic with my camera phone, but I chickened out before I could get close enough to get a good shot.

It creeped me out and had me paranoid for the rest of the afternoon!

flyyak
09-09-2008, 08:56 AM
I saw a 3 foot rattler on Lynn Camp friday. The snake was laying between the trail and the stream about 50 yards past the bench at the cascades overlook. Like most rattlers he was peacefull and just wanted to be left alone.

Tennessee Jed
09-10-2008, 08:49 AM
I took this picture of a copperhead in October 2006 on the Abrams Creek trail. He was just off to the side.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Loopdawg06/CadesCove074.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Loopdawg06/CadesCove077.jpg

bugg
09-10-2008, 12:29 PM
nice jed. i have seen plenty of rattlers this year but not a single copperhead but not really sure why.

knucklehead
09-17-2008, 09:47 PM
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm228/knucklehead1979/tremontrattler045.jpgI was up at tremont on Tuesday and 5 feet from the stream, I found this guy just hanging out. rather cool outside. cloudy. would not have expected to see it. but what a beautiful creature. it was about 3-3.5 feet long and rather slim for a timber rattler. great coloration though. very bright yellow patterns. watched him for several minutes, never rattled and never even looked aggressive until the park ranger beside me started to poke him with a short baton I thought he was an idiot, but... I had a 4 foot walking stick with me and tried to get it to strike the stick but it would only hiss. so i decided to let it be. and it went back to appearing to be asleep. very impressive creature. very docile. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS WATCH WHERE YOU PUT YOUR HANDS!!! It was right where someone could have easily reached to get a grip and climb.

caught 108
09-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Nice Picture's everybody,I've seen some over the year's.But I try my best to avoid them.

bugg
09-18-2008, 06:17 AM
thats a nice picture knucklehead. he's colored up nicely.