PDA

View Full Version : caddis flies

2weightfavorite
08-29-2008, 09:52 PM
I can remeber when I was younger that the good old Elk Hair Caddis in olive or tan was just about the only summetime dry I ever used. For some odd reason I've gotten away from using them... And really any caddis immitation at all. nymphs included. I was just wondering if any of you guys use alot of caddis immitations. Do some of you reach for a deep sparkle pupa, just like I always start out with a pheasant tail? and if so, which colors and sizes seem to produce in the park? Anyway, I'm headed intot he park tomorrow, and who knows, maybe I'll branch out a little and try a caddis or two...

nvr2L8
08-29-2008, 10:07 PM
2weight,

We'll probably cross paths tomorrow. My son and I are leaving Maryville and heading for Tellico/Bald for a day of fishing. Good luck in the Smokies.

I have used an EHC on two days in particular that I specifically recall on Road Prong and Sams Creek. Both days were successful. Interesting in retrospect that both are brookie streams.

Have not used a caddis nymph. If you use it tomorrow in the park, let me know how it goes.

Rog 1
08-30-2008, 02:21 PM
I usually fish for a week the end of sept or 1st of Oct every year....there are times when the only fly I will use is a tan or yellow EHC....consider this my go to fly

WRN
08-31-2008, 09:27 AM
I have been using the Elk Hair patterns for many years both in the park and on streams in Virginia, West NC and East TN. Really have never had any long periods where it did not produce using a variety of colors and on all three species we have.And now as I am a bit older it is easy to see on the mountain streams. For me the darker body with the lighter wing is a proven way to get action. Try some again.

Chuckwalla
08-31-2008, 06:36 PM
The two dry flies I use the most for any wild stream:

Black EHC
Yellow Stimi

2weightfavorite
09-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Now I do use stimulators, more often as strike indicators but I use them none the less. But I really consider them more of a stone fly immitation than a caddis... Now one caddis pattern I have used alot on the holsten and really did well with was a hemingway caddis. But I really havent tried them in the park. They don't have an easy to see wing, and it can really be a challenge to see the little size 18's amongst riffles and bubbles.

Chuckwalla
09-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Stimi - I like'm small around a #16 but they're hard for me to tie that small.
You're right, more of a stone fly pattern.

I have caught more fish on an EHC than any other dry. I've got a lot of confidence it. I've had good luck with
caddis CDC emergers (http://hipwader.com/2004/tying-caddis-emerger-pattern) too. But, I think a EHC justs look buggie.