PDA

View Full Version : Early October - Where to?

MtnMike
09-02-2008, 01:21 PM
OK folks, I normally spend a week in Cataloochee in late September. This year my trip has been moved to early October, and since the date has been moved I am thinking about moving locations as well. So, where would you go (and don't forget why)? I will be going October 6 - 9 or 10 (Monday thru Thursday or Friday). Frontcountry or Backcountry are both options. Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Mike

bugg
09-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Man, that is a wide open question. If you want a change, just get a map and pick a place you have never been to and just go and explore a little. Fishing should be good that time of year and the colors should be starting to show up. Great time to be in the Smokys! Good luck!

pineman19
09-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Hello,

As you well know, a lot depends on the amount of rainfall that the Park gets in Sept. and where it falls. If your looking for browns you may want to consider Deep Creek and or Straight Fork on the NC side. I fished Deep Creek sevral weeks ago above Bumgardners Bend and water levels were pretty decent considering how dry it had been in that area. I have not backcountry camped on Deep Creek yet, but I am considering sites 59 or 58. I fished the water just below 59 and I would like to explore it further and upstream of there as well. Straight Fork seems to have held up pretty well this summer, although I haven't fished it since the middle of July.

I have spent a lot more time on the TN side this spring/summer which is part of the reason I would like to spend part of the fall on the NC side. I stayed in the Deep Creek campground for 3 nights several weeks ago and I thought it was pretty nice. I needed a change from Elkmont, since I have stayed there 3 times this year.

I'll let others chime in, and I'll let you know if I fish over there before your arrival. There is a good chance I will be at Deep Creek towards the end of your trip depending on water conditions, etc.

Good luck,

Neal

Rog 1
09-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Does it really matter as long as you are fishing....I spend a week every year at about the same time in Elkmont...love the campground and during the week at this time of year it is almost empty...there can be good fishing literally right outside your tent.....great fishing above the campground for as far as you want to walk....Fish Camp Prong is a great dry fly stream....from Elkmont you can easily access the WPLP, above the Chimneys, the LR and even Greenbrier....great time to be on the water

MtnMike
09-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks folks,
I am leaning toward Deep Creek, somewhere around Bryson Place (#57), I was just curious where others might would go if they had the opportunity. I am also considering Forney, somewhere around #70 or #71. Also looking at Hazel, probably Bone Valley. I appreciate and welcome any input. My plans my change, if the weather patterns change. I have been in Cataloochee when water was extremely high thanks to tropical systems, and I have also been there (last year) when it was extremely low thanks to drought conditions. I would try to avoid those extremes and maybe move the trip somewhere else if it looks like that is going to happen. Probably to a frontcountry site that makes it easier to visit different watersheds. Again, thanks for any and all input.
Mike

mtnman2888
09-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Brysons place is a nice campsite and even has picnic tables to sit at, definitely more comfortable than rocks or the ground.

Bone Valley campsite is pretty popular so you will probably have company of some sort (hopefully just people!).

Forney I can't comment on since I haven't been there, but i've heard good things.