PDA

View Full Version : Stream Bank Hopper Recipe

gg1262
09-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Anyone know where I can find a recipe for the streambank hopper. I just fished a couple I bought and had some pretty good fishing. Unfortunately, I lost them both. I guess I could buy one and try to figure it out, but I am better with a recipe in front of me. I think it has to do with the fact that I am an engineer and not an artist!!

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Kytroutbum
09-04-2008, 12:32 AM
I goggled the pattern and found this site. http://store.theflyshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2081

I'd check with LRO to see if they carry them or could get them for you. I've had a rule that I only use home tied patterns and "store bought" for patterns. But lately, I've gotten to the point were if I have to glue foam sheets, purchase pattern cutters, etc along with the tying time. $1.75 to $2.00 a fly might not be that bad!! if you only need a few.

My guess as to the recipe would be

Body several layers of glued foam your choice
Tail- red deer hair
Wing- Krystal Flash and elk hair top
Legs- Centipede legs
Strike Indicator- poly yarn- color your choice

gg1262
09-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Hey Kytroutbum!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, not sure if it is worth the effort to try and tie. Plus, I just came across a fly shop here in Cincy that I didn't even know existed until this past week and low and behold, they have this very pattern in two colors and several sizes.

I still may try to tie it just for the "can I do it" part of me. Then I will end up with a wad of glued foam sitting around for all eternity. Oh well, such is the habit, .....er uh JOY, of fly tying!!

Any chance you are a NORTHERN Kytroutbum?

Kytroutbum
09-04-2008, 07:39 PM
My wife and I are retired teachers living on Lake Carnico in Nicholas County and 1/2 between Maysville and Lexington. I'm approximately an hour + from Cincy. Besides the Smokies, I alternate every other year between spending a month camping in Maine, and the Greater Yellowstone Area around Cooke City and Beartooth Montains. Also do Fort Myers, Fla. and Outer Banks for saltwater.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum