PDA

View Full Version : need a new reel

flyred06
09-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I have a new bamboo rod being made by Walter Babb in an 8ft 6wt. I am looking for advice on a new reel for this rod. NO KOREAN OR CHINA MAKES. I am looking at bauers, old CFO's or maybe ross. I would like a reel that sets this rod in a classic look but with a great drag. Any suggestions?

Troutman
09-03-2008, 04:34 PM
The Ross Cimarron is a nice classic reel that has a good drag. They are supposedly going to be discontinued soon. I have a #3 that I use occasionaly on my glass rods. More drag than needed for trout in my opinion.
If I were getting a new Babb rod, I would get an Islander IR3 or the back for this year , Able TR/2. Both are high quality reels with a fantastic click/pawl drag.

flyred06
09-04-2008, 09:09 AM
What is your opinion on the Bauer reels? I have an old CFO111, a nautilus, 3 battenkills but just wanting something of good quality for panfish, trout and bass. Abel is just to expensive for a click and pawl drag system.:cool:

Troutman
09-04-2008, 10:28 AM
I think Bauer makes some of the best reels out there. I have a guide friend that has the Mac superlites on a couple of his rods. They are well made and a strong drag. Of course the guides get their equipment at a big discount (about half price), so they usually buy the best equipment.
I assumed that you were looking for a standard arbor reel for the boo rod, since you said a classic look. That is why I suggested the Able or Islander reels. JAF also makes a nice reel in the AVON series. I like click pawl drags myself, most don't. They have been around a long time and still work effectively even on big fish. Ex....Martin 67a SS click pawl from the 70s on a glass fenwick
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/10-14-2007-10.jpg

There is another brand you might want to consider also is Galvan. They make a nice machined standard arbor reel that would look good on a boo rod. Lots of choices out here to chose from. maybe some of the boo guys on here will give you some suggestions and post some picts. BTW, I like the "old" CFO reels also, they were click/pawls!

flyred06
09-05-2008, 12:30 PM
I didn't mean to discredit click/pawl reels, I was just saying I think Abel is to costly for a click/pawl drag. I am thinking about the CFO (english) disk drag reels that are still available out there. Or maybe an english made Battenkill click/pawl. I would love a hardy but wow what a price for an old reel.

ccmmcc
09-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Hardy Featherweight. They look absolutely wonderful on bamboo rods. For the Babb rod, I would suggest the Hardy Featherweight or LRH.

mtnman2888
09-06-2008, 08:32 AM
I was looking at the hardy featherweight for my boo rod but ended up with a bauer because of the price difference. The hardy's do have a great look but couldn't justify the price difference. I'm completely happy with my bauer, i don't think you'll be disappointed.

By the way, would you mind shooting me mr. babb's email or contact info in an email? I'm thinking of putting my name on the list for one soon, thanks.

monktrout
09-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I'll admit that the lure of a cork-carbonite-tungsten impregnated jet cooled and hyper-ventilated disc drag may be the ticket for those of you who are routinely picking off 20" trout. Unfortunately my angling skills have not exceeded the capapbilites of my Hardy click and pawl. Should they, I will offer up my Hardy sale. Until that day of trout magic, I think they are wonderful reels. Monk

jeffnles1
09-06-2008, 08:08 PM
I've also never seen much need for a sophisticated drag in the park. I don't know that Ive ever even had a fish on the reel let alone need for a drag.

On the other hand, I also fish for bass and have had more than one where I was glad of the drag. My three reels of choice are Ross Rhytm, Orvis BBS, and Orvis Mid Arbor.

I also had one particularly fat healthy 19" brown take me for quite a ride this spring on the Madison out in Montana. I was really happy with the drag on the Ross reel for that one.

I think the real answer is it all depends on what you're fishing for and what that rod combintion will be called upon to do. The rods I use in the park are also the same rods I use elsewhere. In the tailwaters, it is possible (and probable) that you're going to hook up with a fairly large fish at sometime or another. A 3-4lb largemouth can be a somewhat nasty creature on the other end of the line and then there's always that trip of a lifetime to Yellowstone or somewhere else where there's a chance you'll hook up with the fish of a lifetime. In those cases, a good drag and a well made reel can make the difference between the one that got away and one that will end up in the fish of the month photo threads.

Jeff

flyred06
09-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Mr. Babbs phone number is 423-337-6772 for any new orders.