PDA

View Full Version : 2-4 mile hikes

fly fisherman DK
09-03-2008, 06:01 PM
My dad and I are planning on coming to the Smokies in October, and were already planning on going to Sams Creek, Meigs Creek, and possibly Ramsey Prong, but we wanted to take one 2 to 4 mile hike to have some solitude in the park, and also to see some different places. We will take suggestions for either side of the park. Thank you everybody for your ideas.

Thanks,
fly fisherman DK

mtnman2888
09-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Hike up deep creek and fish bumgardner's bend. The browns will will be spawning so they'll be out in full force, you'll be surprised at what you see. You should clock in at about 2 miles to the beginning of the bend.

Another option is hiking up the little river trail to fish camp prong, some good fishing up there as well. This hike will be 4 miles to fish camp's junction with the east prong.

sammcdonald
09-03-2008, 08:12 PM
in october there is almost no solitude in the park.....there will be a million plus visitors.....and they all wanna take hikes to see the leaves....
but meigs creek and sam's creek are pretty long (round trip) and ramsey is 8 miles....you might wanna try big creek or cataloochee

Redfish62
09-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Camps sight 18 on the west prong.
Nice hike lots of little bows and quite.
Hike up from Bote mountain trail or from the middle prong road both ways are great. But have to say Deep creek would be a 1st pick.

pineman19
09-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Sometimes solitude can be found in the Park without a long hike. The Quiet Walkways along the WPLP off er ready access to some good fishing without a long hike, and people aren't common once you get to the stream. The Gorge of the WPLP doesn't require a long hike either, but it is rough going once you get in there, but the fishing and solitude can be worth it.

If your hiking to Ramsey I would recommend taking your rod as well. Start fishing the Greenbriar where Ramsey Prong enters the main stream. Head upstream and I believe you'll have a great experience.

Neal