PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hair Caddis

BlueRaiderFan
09-03-2008, 11:10 PM
is there such a thing? I tied one tonight (ran outta elk hair). If it hasn't been tied before, I want credit. :biggrin:

Kytroutbum
09-04-2008, 12:09 AM
is there such a thing? I tied one tonight (ran outta elk hair). If it hasn't been tied before, I want credit. :biggrin:

Sorry, they've been around for a long time. I actually prefer Deer hair to Elk Hair. The darker coloration fits the Caddis better. I tie mine with and without the palmered hackle.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum

UofMontanaAlum
09-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Tied the peacock caddis in my tutorial with deer hair.

BlueRaiderFan
09-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Dag gummit! lol Oh well...I'll have to come up with something crazy to get my name on a fly, I suppose...Maybe I can incorporate some lab hair clippings into one lol.:biggrin: My choclate's hair would look great tied as a caddis...Don't know if it would catch fish though.:eek:

tennswede
09-11-2008, 07:14 PM
It will, I caught fish with my bluish gray hair caddis tied from cat hair, from my Cat Clyde. If fish eats him anything goes, LOL

BlueRaiderFan
09-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Ha! Cat hair, eh? That means free materials for a while:biggrin: Cats give of plenty of hair.:eek:

Flat Fly n
09-15-2008, 07:00 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/caddisbox.jpg
Too late. Been doing it for a good 20 years. I actually prefer deer over elk. Easier to get, cheaper,and softer to make a better wing pattern. I actually have big piece of hide sent to me from my buddy in Maine with a sharpie message across the back "Take the hint"!

Hints.
1, Don't use wire.....Worthless. Al Troth who originated the fly did, but why add weight to a dry?

2. As Kytroutbum said... forget the palmereded hackle. It then becomes an X-Cadds, perhaps the best caddis pattern out there IMO. The palmer hackle only makes it roll, and cost more per fly. Therefore, z-lon for a tail, body de jur( I like yellow, chartuese or tan) and deer hair for a wing(you can even use yellow deer hair for Little Yellow Sallies). I know caddis don't have a tail but the fly works. They even hit it in a mayfly hatch. Think about it. if you match color, size, and shuck for 75% (NO upswepted wings for mayfly), what trout with a brain would turn that down?

BlueRaiderFan
09-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Hmm...Looks like I not only got beat to it, I've been beat since the 80's:biggrin: I think I'll check with some local butchers and see what they charge for a left over hide. Nice flies BTW.

Gerry Romer
09-15-2008, 09:31 PM
It will, I caught fish with my bluish gray hair caddis tied from cat hair, from my Cat Clyde. If fish eats him anything goes, LOL

Hans --

I suppose the only thing left would be to catch one on your Cat Clyde Caddis while floating in a Hyde! That would be a Cat-Clyde-Hyde-Caught-'Bow :biggrin:

Gerry

BlueRaiderFan
09-16-2008, 08:21 AM
I suppose the only hting left would be to catch one your Cat Clyde Caddis while floating in a Hyde! That would be a Cat Clyde Hyde Caught 'Bow :biggrin:

Gerry

You have to kill the deer yourself and everyone know that you make waders out of deer skin...:biggrin: :p

Kytroutbum
10-14-2008, 12:14 AM
I believe it was Issac Newton who said that his successes were due to his standing on the shoulders of giants.Having tied flies for 40+ years, I've seen it really evolve as we have made variations of someone else's patterns to fit our situation.

BlueRaiderFan
10-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Wow, over 40 years is a long time! I am still learning the basics, but I do enjoy it. It's one of those things I don't do a lot of because I don't need that many flies, but I do enjoy it when I need to tie a few for myself.