PDA

View Full Version : Rod Choice

SWAMPUS
09-04-2008, 05:14 AM
New To Board.fished East Gsmnp Alot +am Coming To West Side 9/21-9/27 For Some 'knee-deep'therapy.have Already Gleaned Much Info From Board But Need To Ask About Casting Room On Your Streams.have 8'5wt+6 1/2'3wt.i Keep Both In Truck,but Not Being Familiar With Area Waters,i Thought Someone Could Give Me A Heads Up.

SWAMPUS
09-04-2008, 05:18 AM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

jeffnles1
09-04-2008, 10:37 AM
First, welcome to the board!

There are 2 schools of tought on this. One is short rods due to the tight cover and the other is longer rods to aid in high sticking.

I've used both in the Smokeys and there are merits to both theories.

Most of the streams are small and tight but the complication is the multiple currents. Getting a drag free drift can be a challenge, especially when the fly line is laying across several current threads that all seem to be running different directions.

The longer rod gives you a little extra reach to lift the fly line off the water and reach out over the currents.

A shorter rod is a little easier to do ovrehand casts and even sometimes side arm casts when the cover is tight. However, you pay a price in drag if you can't keep your line up off of the multiple currents.

I've had very good success with a 7'6" 3wt, and I've had very good success with 9' rods (4wt and 5wt).

I think a lot of it just depends on how you fish and what you're comfortable with.

If this is your first time fishing the Smokeys, you may want to focus on the longer rod first until you get the hang of reading the rives. Then again, if your home waters are similar, then no issue.

Hope this helps."
Jeff

mtnman2888
09-04-2008, 01:10 PM
I agree with jeff on the merits of shorter vs. longer rods. My advice is if you can handle a long rod in tight cover then use it. I always use as long a rod as possible most of the time. The extra length allows you to stay just a tad bit further away from the fish, which can help conceal your presence.

Vern
09-04-2008, 11:09 PM
I also like the 7'6 three wt. I find that 90% of my casting is a flip cast or roll cast, but I like fishing the tight streams in the higher elevations. I have a 8'6 5wt that Iuse lower down where I can make a longer cast one some of the slower runs on little river or for high sticking when boulder hopping.

SWAMPUS
09-05-2008, 03:45 AM
What A Wealth Of Info And Advise So Quickly! Thank-you.

Gerry Romer
09-05-2008, 10:42 AM
I also prefer a smaller rod in the upper elevations. I fish a 7'9" St. Croix Avid 3 wt. My only complaint is that it doesn't have quite enough "backbone" for throwing a dry/dropper or double nymph rig any distance at all. I haven't had a chance to try out my new (replacement) TFO Pro in the mountains yet but I think it's going to become my new "go to" rod for the mountains. The rod I broke a few weeks back was an 8'6" 4 piece 4 wt. and the new one is an 8' 4 piece 4 wt. and I think that 6" difference will make it just that much more versatile. It's definitely got a bit more backbone that the Avid.

SWAMPUS
09-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks,gerry.i'll Mostly Use The 8'5wt,but Keep Small 3wt In Truck.coming Up 9/21-9/27.birthday Trip!

Plunker
09-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Swampus...took an 8'6 5wt and 7'6" 3wt on my first trip toGSMNP, did well with both...found 3wt in my hand more often though due to fun factor of light weight rod... bear in mind that that trip would be fun with a string tied to a stick...ohhh wait I think that is what we use. Have a great trip!
BTW (3wt is TFO Pro) (5wt Orvis FFlyer)