PDA

View Full Version : Mountain biking up Deep Creek Trail

Tennessee Jed
09-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Has anyone gone up from the Deep Creek campground on a mountain bike? I'm wondering how much further past the Indian Creek confluence one could continue on the Deep Creek trail riding a mountain bike? I'm a very experienced rider, and thought maybe riding my bike would help me get up into the upper section of Deep Creek faster, and make the trip out quicker too. Any thoughts on that?

mtnman2888
09-04-2008, 09:22 AM
The trail is wide enough for a mountain bike a good ways up. I know that it's still manageable up to brysons place campsite. If you're going to the upper part, look at coming down off of newfound gap road. Don't think you could ride a mountain bike down it but it's only about 4 miles.

MtnMike
09-04-2008, 11:11 AM
I didn't think you could ride bikes on park trails, so I checked the park website. And here is what I found "The Gatlinburg Trail, the Ocanaluftee River Trail, and the lower Deep Creek Trail are the only park trails on which bicycles are allowed."
I guess now the question would be how far up the Deep Creek Trail do you travel before it is no longer "lower" Deep Creek Trail. That would determine how far you can legally ride up the trail. I would be curious to know the answer.

Mike

Kytroutbum
09-04-2008, 11:44 AM
You can and SHOULD email the NPS headquarters and they respond quickly.
I know they have fined riders above Elkmont many times. Bikers and horses speed up erosion on some trails. So I would check before taking my bike!

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum

mtnman2888
09-04-2008, 12:40 PM
After i posted my response i thought about the same thing and i'm almost positive you can't ride bikes. Let us know what you find out if you e-mail them.

pineman19
09-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Mountain bikes are allowed on the Deep Creek trail from the trailhead to where the Loop Trail comes back to the Deep Creek Trail. To be honest, you wouldn't want to ride a bike above that area since the trail gets narrower and a lot rougher from all the horse and people traffic. I saw a few bikes there when I was there 3 weeks ago, to be honest I thought it wasn't allowed until I read the signs on my way out. I am not sure if you can ride bikes on the Loop Trail since I didn't walk that section.

BTW, the Loop trail is where the Bumgardners Bend section of Deep Creek begins. I can't give you an exact mileage without my map, but it's around 1 1/2 to 2 miles max. from the trailhead.

Neal

bugg
09-04-2008, 01:26 PM
i think that probably means up to the last big bridge. the loop trail meets deep creek trail right after the bridge. deep creek trail is an old road all the way up to that bridge and then it gets narrow after that. i believe that would be the 3rd bridge from the trail head.

bugg
09-04-2008, 01:29 PM
nice timing pineman! and to answer your question, no, bikes are not allowed on the loop trail.

pineman19
09-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Bugg,

I try hard, and mostly I just get lucky, LOL.

Neal

Tennessee Jed
09-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I appreciate the replies. Sounds like coming down from 441 would be the better option.

BlueRaiderFan
09-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Has anyone gone up from the Deep Creek campground on a mountain bike? I'm wondering how much further past the Indian Creek confluence one could continue on the Deep Creek trail riding a mountain bike? I'm a very experienced rider, and thought maybe riding my bike would help me get up into the upper section of Deep Creek faster, and make the trip out quicker too. Any thoughts on that?

Dude, you can TOTALLY take a bike up that trail...I took my dirt bike last year (550cc Suzuki). No one said nothin '. It was really late at night, but still.:biggrin:

sammcdonald
09-05-2008, 05:37 PM
brf...then you willfully violated park regs....

BlueRaiderFan
09-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Here, I edited it for you:

(Sarcasm On)
Dude, you can TOTALLY take a bike up that trail...I took my dirt bike last year (550cc Suzuki). No one said nothin '. It was really late at night, but still.:biggrin:(Sarcasm Off) :)

BlueRaiderFan
09-08-2008, 03:48 PM
brf...then you willfully violated park regs....

Mr. McDonald, I'm just jerking your chain a little. Just trying to keep it light:biggrin: I would never hurt a park trail. I pack out more than I pack in.