PDA

View Full Version : Finally Caught a SM Trout

guerillafish
09-04-2008, 08:37 AM
I did it. I finally caught my first Smoky Mtn. trout. You have to keep in mind that I'm very, very, very new to fly fishing. I've fished and hunted all my life, but this is my first foray into the world of fly fishing. My father-in-law and I were fishing the Middle Prong (I think. We were right outside The Glades going away from G'burg?) this past Saturday. I had been brushing up on my small stream tactics and felt prepared. I have a 6'6 Scott 3-4 wt with an Orvis BK II reel. I was fishing with, what appears to be, a #16 Stimulator like fly. Not sure. Anyway, after multiple stalks and many missed strikes I caught my first Smoky Rainbow about 6" long. I tried to get my camera out of my vest, but he got off before I could snap a photo. Little fish, but no less fun than any of the big saltwater species I've caught. My only question is why did I miss so many strikes. Do I need to shorten up my tippet or even just tie my fly directly to a tapered leader? Any help would be appreciated. I'm just glad to get the monkey off my back.

TB

Flyfishjeep
09-04-2008, 10:08 AM
congrats on the first Smokey Mtn. Trout. You have been bitten.
I will let someone else explain why you are missing strikes, since I havn't mastered that yet either.

Brian Griffing
09-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Guerillafish,
Congratulations. Keep on chasing them, and one day on the not too distant future, when you are catching fish more consistently, don't forget how happy you were to just catch one on some when you are tempted to say "I only caught one."
Anyway, as far as your request for advice: JZimmerman asked the same type of question a little while ago.
Below is the link to the advice that myself and others gave. Hope it helps.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?p=53020#post53020

pineman19
09-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Congratulations on your first Smoky's trout Guerillafish. Sounds like you were fishing the MPLP (Greenbriar). There is lot of fine water on that stream and it may sound like a cliche, but the further upstream you go, especially in the summer months, the better it gets and you could get into some Specs as well.

Neal

bugg
09-04-2008, 07:36 PM
haha! now we all know what you will be thinking about 24/7! congradulations man, i can remember those days. what a great feeling.

caught 108
09-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Congratulation's on the first one.

BlueRaiderFan
09-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Congrats! You've tied my record and I've been THREE times! :biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan
09-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Well, technically I've caught three if you count the two Smokey Mountain Cutthroat.:biggrin:

Vern
09-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Congratulations!! It took me about 3years before I could count on not striking out EVERYTIME. It took my son 2years, but now he is catching at least one or two every trip and that allows me to fish more, so I am catching more! You will see the word stealth several times on this board. I personally feel it that is the most important aspect of wild trout fly fishing. You can have the perfect fly on the perfect drift, but if the trout is aware of you then all bets are off. And the GSMNP cutthroat doesn't really count but I still like catching them because I think they are a cool looking fish.

SWAMPUS
09-05-2008, 03:53 AM
Congradulations! I Can Still Remember My First.still See It In My Mind's Eye,as Will You.the Good News Is You Will Remember Them All.

guerillafish
09-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks, folks. I just did what I had read about on this board and some of that tactics I had read in John Geirach's "Fly Fishing Small Streams". I hardly ever got in the water and was even laying flat on the boulders flipping my tippet and leader into the holes. There was a family downstream from me and it probably was a funny sight to them seeing a grown man sneaking in a crouch position from rock to rock with a fly rod. I will say that this board has been instrumental in helping me learn about fly fishing. It's chocked full of good info. Big props to LRO for having and maintaining an excellent forum.

TB

jzimmerman
09-05-2008, 10:16 AM
I had a lady stop on the side of the road and film me for like 10 min. or so the other day while I was sneeking around rocks. Made me feel kind of silly.:redface: I don't know why any one would want to watch that again, I'm not exactly the most graceful in the stream.