PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Boat Manufacturer

TroutAssassin
09-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Lets hear it saltwater brethren! Im going to have to go with Yellowfin

DrewDelashmit
09-06-2008, 03:17 PM
I think that would all depend on what you want the boat to do. Flats, bay, offshore? No boat can do everything well and I don't believe that any one manufacturer builds boats that are exceptional at all types of fishing either. Companies and customers are often best served by manufacturing one or maybe two styles of boats. I have seen so many successful companies hurt by getting out of their niche, whether a flats boat manufacturer building center consoles for offshore or a specialized center console maker building flats boats.

For a technical, poling skiff to be used in most situations in the Florida Keys, I don't think that there is a finer boat than a Dolphin Super Skiff.

TroutAssassin
09-06-2008, 05:35 PM
I understand that... I was just trying to blow the cobwebs off this section with something halfway interesting. I tried to include a variety of manufacturers that make CC boats and a few others that make bay and flats boats, as well as CC.

DrewDelashmit
09-06-2008, 07:35 PM
I can understand that, the salt needs a little life every once in a while around here.

I would agree with your choice of Yellowfin, from what I hear they make great offshore boats and nice bay boats. I think in the large center console market, I would throw another name into the ring...Sea Vee. If I had the extra cash laying around (which I don't, not by a long shot), a Sea Vee would be the boat that I would be salivating over.

TroutAssassin
09-06-2008, 08:09 PM
I wanted to add more boats but it would only let me do 10. I read a review of the Seavee 390i IPS CC with the twin inboard volvo pentas. I was highly impressed from what i read about its maneuverablilty. I just have a thing for the big yellowfin CC's. I really like yellowfins 17' skiff as well, its a clean boat. Granted those big yellowfin CC's are a dream boat for me. Cape Horn makes an excellent CC for a good price.

Rockyraccoon
09-08-2008, 05:55 PM
um....I didn't see Clackacraft on the list?

They are the best you know! ;)

Plunker
09-08-2008, 07:17 PM
According to my wife, my waders are about as close to a boat that I'm gonna get anytime soon:biggrin:

bigpopper
09-08-2008, 11:22 PM
I'd love to have a Yellow Fin CC Bay/flats boat. 19-23 ft. With all the bells and whistles :smile: . It doesn't hurt to dream:biggrin: .

Mark <::><

seagull
09-09-2008, 05:29 AM
I have a Key West 176 Bay Reef that I love. Two fishing seats, recessed cleats, two built in coolers, gps, remote control trolling motor, all the goodies. It does great in the salt, and below the dams chasing stripers. Handles rough water like a pro, it has a great hull design. My dream boat is a reality!

Waterborn
09-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Anyone with experience on Scouts? I know theres a ton of salt boats out there - but after an almost relocation to the beach I was just about sold on the 221 Winyah Bay model for an all around inshore setup...they make some nice flats,bay, etc but I don't have a reason now to have one - maybe some day. My brother in law lives in Beaufort, SC and are partial to Yellowfins too- the off shore boats especially - they spend alot of time in the g'stream...

seagull
09-09-2008, 11:45 AM
There are a lot of similarities between Scout and Key West, I was told that the guy who originally founded Scout left and founded Key West. One of my fishing partners has a Scout 162 with the air assist hull (on smaller models), it performs great until you get in a tailwater with generators on, where it is almost impossible to keep it in a straight line in swirling water. A comparable Scout version of my model would have been ~ 3K more in price. They are however great boats!

We fish a lot around Beaufort, and see a lot of Scouts in the bay and marsh. There is a Key West dealer on Lady's Island, Butler Marine, so a lot more of those are showing up. I saw a lot of Key Wests out in Destin last fall.

TroutAssassin
09-09-2008, 12:43 PM
key west does make a good boat.