PDA

View Full Version : Lanyards?

mtnman2888
09-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Anyone here have a recommendation for a lanyard? I'm thinking of getting one to cut back on weight when backpacking as i currently carry a chest pack. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Troutman
09-09-2008, 10:16 AM
http://www.mslanyards.com/

thebig21
09-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Try going to this site and checking out the line of lanyards they offer. I had a friend give me one and since have made 3 others using the pattern but with my own personal touch.

These are very light and have enough connectors for whatever tools you need. The only thing that I added was a small piece of pipe insulation foam for the back of my neck.

Good luck!

MtnMike
09-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Craig,

I know that you are specifically asking about lanyards and I have tried them, but I found my answer in a lumbar pack, the Fishpond Kiowa lumbar pack. I don't carry a lot of fishing related items on the mountain streams, so I tried to go with a lanyard and a leader wallet and a box of flies stuffed in a pocket. That worked fine, but I still needed something to eat and drink. I think the chest packs are really hot. So I went with the lumbar pack. I like it so much that I haven't used my Simms vest since I bought it, not even when I'm fishing the South Holston. I went with the Kiowa because I thought it was the perfect size, there are bigger packs but I would just fill them up like I had my vest and I didn't want to do that. I just wanted something that would carry what I needed. The Kiowa does that. I just swap out fly boxes according to where I am headed (tailwater or mountain stream). I don't use the water bottles that come with it, I usually just drop in a bottle of Gatorade or a bottle of water. Sometimes I will have a bottle on one side and use the other bottle holder for other items.
I know that you do a lot of backpacking and may not want to carry a lumbar pack with you. If there is room in your pack I think it is worth taking along (I will be trying to do just that in October). I still occasionally use a lanyard, but I have found that I like the lumbar pack better. And to be honest I am less aware of the presence of the lumbar pack than I am the lanyard.
I have found the lanyards to be more comfortable when worn with a collared shirt. Also I think they work better when you wear a button-down shirt where there is a convenient place to clip it down. Those are nit-picking concerns but they were things that made the lanyard more comfortable to me. Definitely get one with a padded neck strap. Mine is a Morning Star lanyard and I like it fairly well. But if you want water of lunch you need something more than the lanyard. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

PeteCz
09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Why not go whole hog and drop all of it!

I have a few belt clip zingers with my nippers, threader, floatant, Frog's Fanny and Hemostats all clipped to my belt or pocket. I use a furled leader, so I only carry two spools of tippet in my pocket as well as a small box or two of flies. If you are backpacking in, you can put all the fishing stuff in a clear zipup pencil case ($.95) and stuff it in your backpack.

Plus, because I'm getting older, I have to hold things farther away from me to see them. A lanyard holds them too close to my face....:eek:

Not that you will suffer that problem anytime soon.....

mtnman2888
09-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the quick replies and help, i'll look into these. I currently have a chest pack that i take in with me but i'm trying to cut down on some weight so i'm going to try out the lanyard. Hopefully it won't rub my neck wrong, anyone had any problems with that?

ALflygirl
09-09-2008, 01:45 PM
My husband has the Dr Slick lanyard and really likes it.

David Knapp
09-09-2008, 06:15 PM
I've switched over to a lanyard for most of my fishing, even on technical tailwaters. I generally wear a fishing shirt (like the one Gary is wearing in the photo above) with the large pockets so I have a place to put a couple fly boxes. If I'm in the backcountry I generally have a small hydration pack and can put an extra box or two in it as well. It works great and really cuts down on the bulk of a vest, etc... The lanyard I've been using is one of the Mountain River lanyards (I think) with the built in tippet holder...as a bonus it comes with a small highly absorbant drying cloth that actually works great. Anyway, last I knew Daniel had several different lanyards including the Mountain River...

mtnman2888
09-10-2008, 05:36 AM
Thanks that Mountain River lanyard looks pretty nice, i may have to bite the bullet and try one of those out.

dalerio
09-10-2008, 09:29 PM
i second the dr. slick lanyard. it has everything you need, including a small fly box. i added a piece of computer mouse pad cut to shape and a clip, string, and duck tape to hold dry shake. the lanyard was a christmas present, i bought the dr. Slick Scissor/Plier to go with the lightened load.

its a great set up

just over look the small(ish) fish in th pic
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/jeffro396/100_4738.jpg

mtnman2888
09-10-2008, 09:40 PM
I've looked at them both and i think i like the mountain river lanyard a little better. Don't ask me why, there's just something about it. Anyways, i'm looking at getting the angler, which one do y'all have?

PeteCz
09-11-2008, 12:39 PM
i added a piece of computer mouse pad cut to shape

Help me out here, what's the mouse pad for?

dalerio
09-11-2008, 02:24 PM
place to put flies to dry when you switch flies.

David Knapp
09-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Well, I'm going to have to correct myself from earlier. I actually have the Wind River Gear Free Flow lanyard but it is nearly identical to the Mountain River Angler lanyard. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Mountain River... Definitely get a lanyard with the tippet holder built in...that much I know you'll want for sure... One last thing about lanyards, I do have to warn you that some people find having something swinging around on their chest is annoying. If you've been using a chest pack it will probably not be much of a nuisance to you though. Just something to consider...