PDA

View Full Version : blackbird

lauxier
09-11-2008, 01:10 PM
how is the best way to fish a sm blackbird(soft hackle)?

mtnman2888
09-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Honestly, just put it in the water and it will catch fish, or so it seems.

I usually find that i have my best results when i high stick it through runs. I've also used it as a dropper before and had good luck.

PeteCz
09-11-2008, 02:24 PM
The way Hugh taught me to fish it, was behind a weighted nymph, so that it was a mid water-column emerger moving up and down in the bottom half of the current.

But like Craig said, there is no wrong way to fish it. I have used it by itself cast upstream on a dead drift, thrown a slack cast downstream, let it rise and on the swing. As well as highsticked it through nice runs...there is no wrong way to fish it I suppose...

It even catches Rocky Mtn Cutthroats...I like to think of it as my "Skunk Buster". When everything else doesn't seem to work, I tie on a SMBBSH and usually can catch at least a few fish...its amazing...

jeffnles1
09-11-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't have any starling feathers but have a bunch of grouse and partridge. Is it something special about the starling or would one of these alternate soft hackles work too?

Jeff

Waterborn
09-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I like to high stick a wieghted 'bird as well, especially at the head of plunge pools into and below white foam and froth to get down into the soft pockets down there where who knows what sizable fish might lurk...
I've substituted smaller whatever soft webby hackle I could find at times if starling wasn't immediately on hand...my folks send me some nice grousey like feathers of some bird from Montana I can't recall that is great feel to starling only in a nice watery dun color that works well...

PeteCz
09-12-2008, 09:56 AM
I don't have any starling feathers but have a bunch of grouse and partridge. Is it something special about the starling or would one of these alternate soft hackles work too?

The Starling really seems to be the ticket. I think its either because of the thicker barbs or perhaps that the barbs are stiffer, it seems to make the SMBBSH spin and dip more in the water than a softhackle tied with grouse or especially partridge.

LRO usually has Starling skins and I think even Hugh will sell you a starling skin, if you ask him nicely....;)

jeffnles1
09-12-2008, 11:33 AM
The Starling really seems to be the ticket. I think its either because of the thicker barbs or perhaps that the barbs are stiffer, it seems to make the SMBBSH spin and dip more in the water than a softhackle tied with grouse or especially partridge.

LRO usually has Starling skins and I think even Hugh will sell you a starling skin, if you ask him nicely....;)

Thanks. I have a couple Grouse and Partridge skins. Guess I'll have to pick up a Starling next time I'm in town.

Or maybe I can put my pellet gun to good use and pick off a couple starlings in my back yard too....

Jeff