PDA

View Full Version : Beech Flat Creek?

Gypsy
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
I fished Beech Flat Creek for the first time yesterday, in my pusuit to fish every fishable water way inside GSMNP. I was only able to land a handful of small 'bows all but one caught on a #12 San Juan style worm in tan w/ a hopper on top. The creek seemed to be somewhat lacking in numbers. Has anyone else fish here; if so what was your luck like. P.S. the worm was not the only fly tried but it was the producer of the day.

mtnman2888
09-11-2008, 04:32 PM
I've fished it once and thought it underproduced as well. It looked like it would hold lots of fish but we only caught a handful, of course it was pretty cold. I've been itching to try it out again.

David Knapp
09-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Beech Flats can fish very well, but because of the relatively easy access (in the lower sections) it is possible that you fished water that had been already covered by someone else that day at some point.

Gypsy
09-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I was wondering if it being so close to the road and trails if it may get hit often, I guess so. It is a beauttiful creek and deserves more attention I will go back of course. Thanks for the replies.

mtnman2888
09-11-2008, 09:15 PM
I fished it where you had to crawl down a steep enbankment and honestly, expected to get into specs but no luck. I don't really see that many people fishing the oconaluftee and it's tribs, but that's comparitively speaking to places like little river.

David Knapp
09-11-2008, 11:15 PM
I fished it where you had to crawl down a steep enbankment and honestly, expected to get into specs but no luck.

Don't give up yet...;)

mtnman2888
09-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Yeah i'm going to give it another shot when i'm in the area. It looks too good and i'm sure if you keep pressing upstream you'll get into better fishing. At some point, doesn't it cross underneath 441?

Speckleman5
09-12-2008, 07:51 AM
I don't think so, I think 441 bears back up to the left away from the creek. When it switches back towards deep creek there is a parking area with a road that runs back around towards the creek.

Gerry Romer
09-12-2008, 11:40 AM
My son and I fished Beech Flats two summers ago, up near the headwaters. You have to bushwhack in a bit, but it's fairly easily accessed from Hwy 441. All we caught were Brookies. Tight stream, close quarters, a lot of flipping into small pools. Fun.

Gerry

Gypsy
09-12-2008, 12:29 PM
It seems that I need to press on upstream to get more fish I will return and go further. I thank you guys for your imput, and since I am new to the area I will be asking for more advice. It is great to see such a helpful bunch, again thanks.

Gerry Romer
09-12-2008, 01:15 PM
If you're going out of G'burg on 441, go past Newfound Gap and on down to the gigantic switchback. Right after you make that final, tight, right hand turn and you're headed down a long straightaway, the Oconoluftee headwaters (Beech Flats Creek) will be on your left. You can't see the creek from there but it's off the road about 1/8 mile and about 40' - 60' below the road surface (I'm guessing here). There are a couple turn-outs on the left-hand, or uphill, side of the road. There's also a large field on the left that you can pull your vehicle off into and park right at the treeline. From there it's just a short bushwhack down to the creek. We found one spot that had some primitive trails going down to the creek. You can hear it from the treeline but you can't see it. Of course there's no telling how skinny that water's gonna be... it might not be making any noise right now! It was pretty skinny two years ago and that was before the drought.

Here's a link to the Park Service trail map. Download it and enlarge to about 200% and you can clearly search the area I'm talking about. Just find Newfound Gap and look directly below it. I believe that blue line is Beech Flats Creek. Good Luck! Let us know how you do...

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/Trail%20map%2008.pdf

Gerry

knucklehead
09-12-2008, 09:38 PM
I, too, have had minimal success at beech flats. a few small rainbows and a couple of brookies. all on parachute adams or yellow stimulator. i read don kirk's book about fly fishing the smokies and apparently when road work was done above the creek, the rocks on that mountain leaked some kind of chemical in the creek that could kill the fish. granted, the book is several years old and not always accurate but based on what i've not caught out of there, something seems to be working against the fish. i've seen a few fish in there but not many. when i fished there, i usually parked at the second or third parking spot(after coming across newfound gap) that was fairly close to the stream- a short 50-100 yard walk, on a semi-trail and then I walked upstream. beautiful water but the fish don't agree. anyways, fun place to roam around. saw a few salamanders including a nice red cheeked salamander. unfortunately, no snakes. will be sometime before I go back.