PDA

View Full Version : October fishing

Maglite
09-12-2008, 03:18 PM
we are staying in Townsend in October, and just wanted to inquire about flies that will produce better that time of year in the smokies, we frequently fish the Caney Fork and use midges, wooly buggers, and bhpt with the occasional soft hackle. any info on what we need to spend some money on would be greatly appreciated

mtnman2888
09-12-2008, 05:00 PM
That time of the year i use bwo's a lot. They always seem to produce extremely well for me. That's really the only thing that i use consistently, other than smbsh. Give me those two flies and i'm set.

Maglite
09-12-2008, 09:01 PM
thank you mtnman, we have some blue wing olives, but I do need a little help with that second acronym, smbsh? thanks again for the help,

Mag

Gerry Romer
09-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Smoky Mountain Blackbird Soft Hackle...

Run a search on that in the message board's search function and you'll likely get hundreds of hits - including a few recipes and even a few comments from Hugh Hartsell the creator of the SMBSH

mtnman2888
09-12-2008, 10:07 PM
No problem anytime. Sorry i kinda figured everyone around here knows that fly by its acronym. That fly is deadly, contact hugh and get you some. Get it to the bottom in fast runs and hold on!

Maglite
09-12-2008, 10:49 PM
thats a new fly to me, I will look it up, thanks again

Duggie
09-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Had Hugh try to show me the ropes a few years ago down your way, I wasn't a very good pupil. Did bring some of his smbsh's back to the Midwest, and they were the most God awesome fly for catfish I have ever seen. Fished on a sink tip in some of our Iowa ponds and, yes, you better hold on. Largest I have caught is a really nice 6 pounder.