PDA

View Full Version : Forney Creek

eaze53
09-15-2008, 08:00 AM
:rolleyes: Has anyone fished Forney Creek recently? Never fished before but maybe planning an overnight hike/fish trip in from Bryson City side in October and would like to get an idea of what to expect... water levels, conditions, fishing experience, tackle ect....

Appreciate any help.

mtnman2888
09-15-2008, 09:44 AM
I would definitely do that trip, it would be worth your time. If you're going in october, you may want to bring some october caddis but those can be kinda spotty. I would definitely come stocked with some bwo's if it's gotten colder at that point and the standard assortment of attractor patterns, you should catch a few with those.

bugg
09-15-2008, 04:49 PM
i tend to lean towards orange palmers, orange stimulators, and a bhpt dropper that time of year. and yeah, forney should be fishing good.

fly fisherman DK
09-15-2008, 08:46 PM
I also had a question about Forney Creek? I was wondering what kind of fish there are above Forney Creek Cascades.

Thanks,
fly fisherman DK

mtnman2888
09-15-2008, 08:59 PM
I emailed Matt Kulp about this a while back as i was planning a trip up there, but unfortunately i can't find it anywhere.

If i remember correctly, he mentioned that the stream was pretty small up that high. If you'll look on the map, i'd have to agree with him as it's high up and there are no water sources running into the stream above the cascades. I don't remember him mentioning fish species, but i feel pretty certain that you would be firmly in brook trout territory at that point.

bugg
09-15-2008, 09:08 PM
the stream is pretty small past the cascades, but i was suprised at the nice pools that were there. i didn't get to fish, but i would say there are some in there, and yeah, if i had to bet it would be on brookies. i'd be interested to know for sure though. i know its one heck of a walk in and out of there with a weedeater and pack on your back at the end of a long day though. fun stuff!

mtnman2888
09-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Bugg,

Did you hike in coming down from the dome? I have been very interested in doing that hike.

bugg
09-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Craig,

Yeah, we hiked down from the Dome and back up from below the cascades several days, and then walked to the tunnel a bunch too. The trail is in good shape (we took the weedeaters to it pretty heavily) but its a pretty good rocky pull back up. I wouldn't really want to do a trip in there and back out in one day. It would be possible, but just seems like it would be rushing things kinda. Campsite 68 is right at the cascades and would be worth staying at and exploring some more. There are some cool remnants of old school logging trains in there still as well that add a little extra to the trip. Also saw a monster timber rattler in there between 68 and 69 right on the side of the trail...just a little reminder to always be on the lookout. Its a long walk to a truck from in there...

Charlie

mtnman2888
09-16-2008, 05:00 AM
Thanks alot, we were debating on doing that trip because we didn't know how big the water would be. I don't think we would do it in a day trip but we could definitely do a overnighter there no problem.

fly fisherman DK
09-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info about the cascades. I haven't fished Forney yet, but by looking at my topo map I would've thought that the area of the cascades would get a lot of water from rain running off of Clingman's Dome. At least it is big enough for brookies to live in.:biggrin:

Thanks,
Fly Fisherman DK

mtnman2888
09-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Well i got word from a friend who has been there and all i'm going to say is that i would at least give it a shot........

eaze53
09-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the tips. Friend and I will plan to be at campsite 70 0r 71 Oct. 3 & 4. We'll take along a bevy of flies including BWOs & caddis as well as stims and droppers (ah, maybe "orange" will do well somewhere that weekend. ref. gator shellacking of vols this wknd.) Any suggestions on rod/reel? Thinking about taking packable 3 pc., 6'3" 3wt. Or should I go with larger 4 wt. 2pc. and strap it to the outside of the pack?

Dave Ezell

bugg
09-21-2008, 01:30 PM
I'd go with a longer rod than 6'3". The creek is pretty good size that low and the extra reach will give you an advantage with the low water conditions.

mtnman2888
09-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah definitely want larger than a 6'3". The extra length will help out big time, like bugg said, especially when high sticking.

eaze53
09-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks, I'll count on strapping a longer stick to the outside of the pack.

Dave

eaze53
10-08-2008, 07:18 AM
We made the hike in fine on Friday to camp site 71 and fished friday evening just above the camp site. Water was low and clear as a bell, so stealth was necessary for the two 8 inchers (rainbow) harvested on an orange stim sz 14. Very little response on a variety of dropper nymphs that evening or next morning. Saturday we hiked up Forney creek trail and fished below the juncture of Jonus and Forney creeks with similar results, but all on nymphs (prince, caddis emerger). Lack of water made fishing above this point unecessary. Nicest patch of water was half way between campsite 71 and 70, below the remains of a logging road bridge. Several nice pools. Next time I would stay at campsite 74 at the mouth of Forney and fish up from there.

Dave

Speckleman5
10-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Even though there were several vehicles there when I got thee Monday afternoon we walked in for an afternoon trip as well. Went to the lake and fished up from there usually my favorite stretch of water. Not Monday. I saw tracks and was obviously behind someone. One 4 inch rainbow showed his face from the low water level right now to just above the lake view trail. I was very disappointed because of the luck I have been having lately...but either way it was great exercise. Bugg, some other friends and I are going camping this weekend and hope to find a few big boys so I can't get greedy. I hope this rain that is falling helps:biggrin: