PDA

View Full Version : Comparables to BIIx ?

Stonefly
09-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Anyone have suggestions for rods comparable to the BIIx? I tried one briefly on the SoHo this summer and was ready to go back to the shop and buy one on the spot. Great rod, fast & light.

If I were to get serious about getting one, what others should I consider?

sb

James Buice
09-18-2008, 04:49 PM
I'd take a look at the Scott G2. Especially the 8'8" 4wt or 5wt. The rod has a nice, stable mid section and a soft, yet speed generating tip. The cool thing about the 8'8" is it gives you the performance of a 9 footer in mending and tracing but the taper speeds the rod up a bit more than the nine foot model.

Just my 2 cents..

James

Stonefly
09-18-2008, 04:56 PM
I have a couple of A2's, which are not nearly as fast, and of course half the price. Haven't tried the G2 though I am definitely a fan of Scotts.

sb

jeffnles1
09-18-2008, 09:56 PM
With Winstons, check out the BIIt series. Has the backbone of the X but a softer action. I have one in 9' 4wt and really like it a lot.

I also second the G2. I have a 9' 5wt G2 that is one sweet casting rod.

The BIIt has become my "go to" rod for most fishing, but when I'm in tailwaters or on a lake/stream where I may tie into a larger bass or a larger trout, it's the 5wt G2 that goes with me.

If you don't want to drop that kind of change on a rod, the TFO Professional series is worth a check out too. I do not own one but have cast a few and you would not be undergunned on the stream with one of those in your hand either.

Jeff

Grumpy
09-18-2008, 10:39 PM
A mid flex Helios will compare to the BIIX;)

Grumpy

Stonefly
09-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the input. No one has mentioned Sage -- anything comparable there?

sb

jeffnles1
09-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the input. No one has mentioned Sage -- anything comparable there?

sb

I have an older Sage SLT 7'6" 3wt. It's just a little bit faster than the G2. They discontinued that series a year or so ago and some are still around to be found.

I'm not that familiar with the current Sage lineup. I'm kind of a Scott and Winston fan but a lot of guys swear by their Sage rods.

Jeff

MtnMike
09-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Steve,

I have been fishing an 8 1/2 foot 5wt bIIx for 3 years now, primarily on the South Holston. I can not say enough good things about this rod, everything I ask of it, it does, and does well. When I bought the rod, my mind set was "1 rod that would do it all" and this rod definitely fits that bill. It will present a small dry fly very softly and can also handle streamers. On the tailwaters I sometimes wish I had bought the 9 footer, but I just really like the 8 1/2 and the way it handles. I also really like the 8 1/2 4wt. My suggestion would be try before you buy. You asked for rods that are comparable. I have not fished with too many other rods, but in casting with other rods I haven't found anything that seems to be as fast and yet have the soft tip that the bIIx has. The Helios probably feels the most similiar of the rods I have tried. I don't think the bIIt is anything like the bIIx and while I really like the Scott G2, I don't think it feels anything like the bIIx either. I would really suggest that you compare the rods side by side. That was what I did, and I couldn't find anything that compares (for me). Every now and then I find myself wishing for another rod and then I go fishing and ask myself why I would ever want anything else. Different people like different things in a rod casting them side by side helps you better see how they compare. The one complaint that I might have with the bIIx is the small grip. While I like the way it feels in hand, I think a larger grip would be better for a full day of fishing. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

ttas67
09-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Every rod has its fans, but for my money, I'll keep my 9' 5wt BIIx. most fast action rods are too stiff for me, but the BIIx has a slightly softer feel. It's an excellent rod that you won't be disappointed in. the more times you fish it, the more you will appreciate it. The rod is extremely versatile, and I actually find the small grip to be a plus.

mtnman2888
09-21-2008, 08:20 AM
If i were going to fish it on tailwaters, i would find it to be a hard fight between the bIIx and helios. I love the bIIx but the helios is a beast on large waters like the SoHo. In my opinion they both have very similar properties. I personally prefer the bIIx on a little smaller waters and use the helios on larger ones. You couldn't go wrong with either one though.

Another thing to consider is the bIImx, supposedly just an advanced bIIx that is a little stronger and faster, probably make a great tailwater rod. I haven't used one or heard of anyone using it but it's another one to consider.