PDA

View Full Version : Fuel shortage?

Gatorbaiter
09-29-2008, 10:16 AM
My wife and I will be driving to Townsend this Wednesday from Florida. We have heard the news reports of gasoline shortages throughout the area. Are these reports accurate? I could possibly route up I-95 or take the back way from Macon to Athens, but I-75 is usually faster.

JimmyC
09-29-2008, 10:53 AM
We seem to be fine in Sevier Co., for now (a ten minute drive to Townsend). Avg. I see is about 3.39.

kytroutman
09-29-2008, 11:09 AM
The fuel shortage is mainly across the state of Georgia until you get north of Chattanooga. After that, there is no problem. There are also some isolated shortages located around western NC and SC, so check with AAA before considering the I-95 route as well.

pmike
09-29-2008, 12:08 PM
...from North Georgia. I drove along I-10 over to I-75 north. The only shortages I experienced were when I stopped in Valdosta. This was about 3 weeks ago and in Valdosta 2 out of the three gas stations at the exit where i re-fueled, were out of gas and the one I stopped at only had 300 gallons remaining when i was there.

I would suggest checkling with someone like AAA and also that you might seriously consider going up either US1 or I95.

Mike

mtnman2888
09-29-2008, 12:48 PM
There were some major supply problems in nc and sc recently but i think things will get better this week. I know they actually had to shut down some schools in western nc around asheville last week. You'll know if you're in an area with supply problems because it will be 3.89 a gallon. You should be fine though.

Speckleman5
09-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Here in Waynesville it was terrible last week. At the stations where you could find any you had to wait up to an hour. Lines were out in the road.....ridiculous. That being said I waited it out and pout off my fishing until the weekend. I filled up for 3.73 a gaollon and paid and left...no wait. You should be fine now though. No problems in the last 4 or 5 days.

Gatorbaiter
09-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the infomation. We feel more confident about the drive and will stop once before getting to Macon. that should take us to Townsend easily.
If anyone has come up I-75 today or yesterday, and had problems, I would appreciate an update.

Speckleman5
09-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Is it not quicker for you to hit 441 out of Atlanta through Franklin, Cherokee, then hang a left at Sugarlands? Just wondering not exactly sure which direction you are coming from.

Gatorbaiter
09-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Specleman - That is our usual route so I can stop and get a NC yearly licence near Cherokee. My current one expires today

Byron Begley
09-30-2008, 10:48 AM
We found some stations with limited supplies and one or two that were out completely last week driving from Townsend to Cedar Key and Back. We filled the truck up whenever we reached 1/2 of a tank. Our route was I-75 and Highway 411. You will find the fuel cheaper in here than in Florida.

Byron