PDA

View Full Version : Deep Creek

MtnMike
09-29-2008, 01:35 PM
I just got off the phone with the backcountry office. Made reservations for the Deep Creek backcountry at campsite #55 for next week. Can't Wait!

Mike

Speckleman5
09-29-2008, 02:13 PM
You will love it. The water levels are decent. The temperature is perfect. The fish are biting. Best of luck to you, I will probably be somewhere below you next Saturday.

David Knapp
09-29-2008, 04:00 PM
There aren't any fish over there...;)

Speckleman5
09-29-2008, 04:40 PM
I like looking at the creek rock.

pineman19
09-29-2008, 07:18 PM
There aren't any fish over there...;)
Fibber, LOL We remember that hog brown you caught somewhere around campsite 54 this summer. I may head over that way when I get done with my Big Creek trip on the 5th thru 7th. if I have any energy left. Looking forward to having next week off from work.

BTW David, I am kidding with ya!

Neal

mtnman2888
09-29-2008, 08:32 PM
That is a special place indeed with alot of history, but i agree with david, no fish up there..........

Tennessee Jed
09-30-2008, 07:48 AM
There's been some significant bear activity in that area. I was there two weeks ago and they had the warning signs up at the trailhead. Keep your food up at night.

bugg
09-30-2008, 02:35 PM
definitely some nice rocks in that creek:biggrin:

David Knapp
09-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Fibber, LOL We remember that hog brown you caught somewhere around campsite 54 this summer.

You mean this monster? I'm flattered that you call it a hog but it really was much larger than all the others...the rest were only a couple of inches long...
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/P1010003-1.jpg

MtnMike, to be fair, I probably should warn you that I had some trouble with the mice in that general vicinity earlier this summer. Pack things well and if you have something hard and sealed that you can put food in, do it. I never considered it before but will probably get a bear-proof food canister before backpacking up there again. Not for the bears but because of the mice...enjoy the trip and the scenic creek...

Speckleman5
09-30-2008, 05:45 PM
I have a wonderful hole in my fly vest from those pesky little varmints...The first time I took my tent out of its bag was at 53 a couple years back, the mice ate through my mesh (loft type thing) the first night.....canned biscuits in the creek made for an interesting site coming out of a mouse chewed hole. it was kind of like one of the old play-Doh mashers...lol

pineman19
09-30-2008, 07:35 PM
David, that's the one! I guess I had my magnifying glasses on when I looked at the pic the last time:eek:

As far as the mice issue, I appreciate the input. I guess I need to take one small Tupperware container on this weekends excursion to Big Creek. I was more concerned about keep my food away from the bears, but I guess mice climb the cables and get in your stuff.

Looks like the east side of the Park may be getting a little rain tonight. Maybe that will help Big Creek out a little.

Neal

MtnMike
09-30-2008, 08:07 PM
You guys are starting to make me nervous, I thought we were supposed to worry about bears and now all I can think about are mice eating through my tent or pack. Seriously, I hope this isn't too big of a problem. I haven't been backpacking in the park since spring '07 and since then I have bought all new equipment and really can't afford to have rodents eating through it. I know, I bought it to use not sit in the garage. I will obviously keep food away from my tent, but I wonder if the mice could get conditioned to finding food in tents and go looking even if you don't have food there yourself. I have talked to people who have had mice problems before, but I have never personally had a problem. I did camp with a guy one time who woke up in the morning to find a backpack full of baby squirrels. I will be at campsite #55, if anyone has had real problems there let me know.

Also I will be going in on Monday, the 6th, and coming out either Thursday evening, the 9th, or Friday morning, the 10th. I made reservations through Friday but when I called there was no one else who had reserved a spot. If anyone will be up there that time let me know and maybe we will meet up somewhere along the way.

Mike

Mike

pineman19
09-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Sounds like you have good trip planned Mike. I hope to be heading towards Beep Creek after my 3 day backcoutry in the Big Creek. I'm not sure my ole bones will have enuff lefy in rhem to get up to site 55. I would like to fish the bend area and maybe above it. I was up there early in August for the first time it looked and fished pretty well.

Good luck on your trip,

Neal

mtnman2888
09-30-2008, 08:51 PM
I have had issues with mice on both of my trips during the warmer months this year. The first time they managed to chew a hole through my pack and get into some food. This last time they didn't damage the pack, but they got into both mine and my partners food inside the pack. We even found one up under our tent while eating supper, good thing that fella wised up and left though.

The only thing i would worry about is them getting into your pack. A tupperware container is a good idea and i would also put your food into a ziploc bag or two as well.

pineman19
09-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Craig,

You didn't fish Gunter Fork during your day hike into Walnut Bottoms? I plan on fishing Gunter at least one day during my trip, and I plan on hiking up Swallow Fork Trail on the way to Mt. Sterling (campsite 38 ). That will be toughest part of my trip, as I plan on heading downhill from Sterling via the Baxter Creek trail back to the Big Creek parking area. I was reading the Hiking Trails of Smokies book and it sounds like Gunter has some nice pools, and I'm curious about a couple of tribs to Swallow Fork. I hope there is enough water to give at least one of them a try for some brookies on my hike up to Mt. Sterling ridge.

Neal

mtnman2888
10-01-2008, 05:50 AM
Yeah i fished both gunter and swallow fork for a short while. You should be all brookies up at that point. We didn't get too far up those tribs since it was just a day trip but we did wet a line and found what you would expect, lots of eager specs. If you're feeling really adventurous, take a hike up to yellow creek. That was something we wanted to do but couldn't get to it due to time constraints. That was supposedly THE brook trout stream in the park for the old timers occording to kirk's book on the smokies. It would be interesting to see what it fishes like now........

MtnMike
10-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Well guys,

I now have a terrible cold/possible sinus infection. I have been waiting for a long time for this week of fishing. I just don't think I'm up to carring all my gear into the backcountry. I'm waiting to see how I feel Sunday Night/Monday Morning, but right now I am hoping to still go. I will probably stay in the frontcountry campground and base my fishing from there. I'm not particularly excited about fishing deep creek around the campground, my reason for going there was to get in the backcountry. So, I may consider relocating my base to another area. I'm probably going to have to shorten my trip one day now to make up for the work around the house that I didn't feel up to today. Hopefully, I will still be able to report about a few days of fishing.

Mike

pineman19
10-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Mike,

There is some nice water above the campground and a few miles up the Bend is good as well. Sorry you get sick, I am anxious to leave in the morning for my trip.

Neal

MtnMike
10-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks Neal, we may go ahead and stay at Deep Creek campground and explore those waters if I feel up to it. Hope you have a good trip to Big Creek.

Mike

Speckleman5
10-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Don't overlook the water around the campground. The tubers are thinning out, and even if they aren't.....

PeteCz
10-07-2008, 07:47 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting and fishing with TroutDude on Sunday (10.5). We met up at the Deep Creek Trailhead around 8:30a and geared up for a hike up to Bumgardner Bend to do some fishing. We zipped up there pretty quickly and were fishing sometime around 9:30a (its amazing at how fast and effortless you can hike when you are GOING fishing...).

The water was low and slow, but better than most streams in the park, lately. The water was 54.5 degrees and the air temp was 64. It was a bit chilly for wet wading but it didn't bother me too much (at my advancing age). Fishing was mediocre at best. There were a number of nice looking spots but the fish were hiding this morning. I've never had much luck catching fish before 11am, anyway. Not sure why, just never can seem to get the hang of it...

After catching a few fish we decided to hike up and over the ridge toward campsite #59. The trail leaves the stream for awhile and then stays high above it once you cross the ridge. After nearly an hour of hiking and several glances at the map, the trail finally came down close enough to the stream to do some fishing. I had been using a stimulator, ehc, orange palmer and a PA with little luck, so I switched to a #16 Orange Doc's Cork. While the action was never great, I did manage to catch about a half a dozen fish with the ODC, one that was around 9". I missed a fish that was very nice along the inside of a large boulder...If I ever get back up that way......

All in all the fishing wasn't great but the scenery and the company made up for the slow day. For the record Mr. Dude caught at least twice the number that I did. I believe he was using several different setups but caught the most on an orange palmer with a dropper of some sort.

We wound up hiking over 4 miles in, so needless to say we had to hike over 4 miles back. He decided to stay and fish awhile longer, but I had leftover anniversary obligations that called me back home early. I hiked back out in about 75 minutes. The highlight of the trip out was my first encounter with a bear on a trail (I'm using the word highlight loosely). He crossed about 50 feet in front of me and went up into the brush by the side of the trail. I would have preferred to backtrack and go back to fishing, but since I was in a hurry to get home I started yelling at him (I don't sing very well), and after a few seconds he took off farther up into the woods. I hiked the remaining distance constantly looking over my shoulder...

I made it back to my explorer and quickly dropped my gear in the back of the car and swapped out my boots for shoes, pushed the lock button on the hatch and........locked myself out of the car...brilliant! Luckily a Park Ranger was in the parking lot writing someone a ticket (lucky for me that is, not the person getting the ticket...) and he had a kit to pop my locked door. Happily, I was on my way in less than 20 minutes after locking myself out...

Recap:
- Met a new fishing buddy (originator of the Mr TroutDude Cripple)
- Hiked 8.2 miles (uphill both ways.....)
- Caught 6 fish
- Locked my keys in the car

All in all, a very good day...

bugg
10-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Sounds like a good trip Pete. Did you see anybody else fishing, tubing, hiking? I was also wondering if you noticed whether or not the campground was full?

Charlie

PeteCz
10-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Sounds like a good trip Pete. Did you see anybody else fishing, tubing, hiking? I was also wondering if you noticed whether or not the campground was full?

Charlie

Charlie, the place wasn't packed, but wasn't a ghost town either. There were a number of folks walking up and down the roadbed part of the trail up to the bridges. I did see too very cold looking tubers that were trying their best to not get wet and a couple of guys fishing down below.

Above the bridges there were no other people fishing and only a few hiking. I did run into two guys on the trail that were coming down from CS#56 that said they caught some small rainbows over the weekend, but I wouldn't say it was crowded.

The leaves really hadn't changed yet, so there is probably another week before things get really crowded...

Speckleman5
10-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Here on Balsam it is like they changed overnight...

bugg
10-08-2008, 09:24 PM
thanks Pete

Speckleman5
10-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Bugg, a friend. and I are heading to Deep Creek for the day....If anyone is in the area feel free to say Hi. We'll either be in a Red or White f150. Probably 3 guys fishing together....Will post a report tonight