PDA

View Full Version : New Camera - Optiow60

MtnMike
09-30-2008, 10:25 AM
I have been wanting a digital waterproof camera for some time now. Finally decided it was time when I saw the new Pentax Optio w60. This thing is a great point & shoot digital camera that you can also submerge underwater. I have a lot to learn when it comes to taking pictures and even more to learn when it comes time to put them on the computer & internet. But, anyway I thought I would take it out and give it a try. I received the camera on Thursday (Thanks to Byron for getting me in touch with the right place) and decided to take it out on Friday to the South Holston.

So here goes the maiden voyage:

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr146/MtnMike-photos/IMGP0004.jpg

I quickly discovered that if you want to take pictures of fish, you better bring a net, that way you can keep the fish in the water till you are ready for the picture. So, Here's one in the net

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr146/MtnMike-photos/IMGP0003.jpg

Best part of the day, fishing with a good friend. Who also caught some nice fish

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr146/MtnMike-photos/IMGP0007.jpg

As I said I still have plenty to learn, but maybe I will figure it out. Right now I am having trouble getting the pictures the size I want them to be for a post on the message board. I really like the camera and am looking forward to using it on my upcoming camping trip. One of the features that I really like is the macro capability and I am looking forward to taking pictures of various aquatic insects. I have also already used it to take some underwater pictures of my daughter in the pool. She thought that was really cool.

Mike

Stonefly
09-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Right now I am having trouble getting the pictures the size I want them to be for a post on the message board. Mike

I think the trick to that is to size them before you begin the upload to photobucket.

sb

Stonefly
09-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Forgot to ask, what's the difference between the w30 and the w60 ? More megapixels? I think my w30 is 8 mp ?
sb

MtnMike
09-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Steve,

Yes the w60 has 10 megapixels. They also changed the zoom to a 5x optical. There is also a new macro mode for 1cm, that is completely seperate from the normal macro setting. There may be some other changes as well.

Mike

Grumpy
10-02-2008, 08:08 AM
being the lazy type, what are the prices for the 30 & 60?
Thanks
Grumpy

MtnMike
10-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Grumpy,

I think the w60 has an msrp of $329. I ordered mine from B&H Photo and I believe it was $279. Not sure what you can get a w30 for.

Mike

Stonefly
10-02-2008, 09:36 PM
I paid $240 last year for my w30

sb

Grumpy
10-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys, if'n i hadn't just bought a 10 weight Helios, i could've got a camera:rolleyes:

Grumpy

irfishing
10-03-2008, 09:18 AM
For anyone interested, check Amazon.
The W60 is 265.00 with free shipping.

hw3
11-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Fellows:
I know this is a late post, but since it is the season, maybe someone else out there is interested in a Waterproof Camera. I have been looking at the WP Olympus models, not sure of nomenclature, but similar to Optios. Anyone with experience with both, i.e., some comparisons? Do not plan to actually use it underwater, just enough rain, falling in the creek when my alligator *** overloads my hummingbird legs, etc., that I am tired of spots on the fishing pix, if they come out at all. Biggest problem is lack of ability to upload and share trips with others. Any help greatly apprecoiated. Henry

jeffnles1
11-30-2008, 07:16 PM
I have the Olympus 790SW which is their waterproof one. I think the new model is the 850SW or something like that. I've had no complaints. The photos are good and it's small & easy to use. I have not used the Pentax but every fishing board has people who sing it's praises too. From what I've read by other fishermen, both the Olympus and the Pentax are great cameras.

Jeff

flyman
11-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Mike if you use a service like Photobucket to store your photos it will resize your photos for you.

http://photobucket.com/ (http://photobucket.com/)

You can also preset the recorded pixel size on your camera. Look up the recorded pixel size and quality setting in your manual. I don't have the W60 but I suspect it's about the same as their other cameras. I think the lowest setting on my W20 is 640x480, and that will be fine on most web sites. Only a couple of buttons to push and then all you have to do is scroll up and down the menu.

Did you receive a disk with some software for the camera? Something like ASD? I use the software that came with the camera to crop and resize mine.

Bullwinkle
12-02-2008, 03:02 PM
IMHO, always take the picture at the highest resolution and then downsize them for the web.

I was a Pentax fan unitl I got the a90 error which they have a file to fix it with but want you to send them the camera instead of sending you the file.

I went with the a590is (amazon $113, no tax and no ship) it's not waterproof but at that price I can take my chances. It has a viewfinder which I prefer and it takes AA batteries!