PDA

View Full Version : 3wt. rod?

Gypsy
09-30-2008, 01:39 PM
I have always used a 5wt. for trout in small streams to tailwaters. I have 3 different 5wts. Each one has its own feel of course and its own purpose. However I have been really thinking of a 3wt for the Smokies, (normally I use a fast-action handcrafted 7'6 5wt this is my hands down favorite rod) I have looked at the Orvis Rods and the Winston Rods. My major problem is spending that kind of money on a rod again. Okay I am getting cheap with age. I have heard a lot about the TFO rods and I notice they are a lot cheaper. Someone please give me some insight on these and if they are any good.

PeteCz
09-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Steve, I have three 3wt TFO Pros and I love them. They are inexpensive, are well made and have a great warranty. Obviously you need to cast one to see if you like the feel of it.

My goto mtn flyrod is an 8'6" 3wt (overlined with 4wt). I have a 7'6", as well, but I like the extra length for high stickin' and line mending. I've been in some pretty cramped spots with the 8'6" and I never have wished I had the shorter one.

My http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/PeteCz21/icon_twocents.gif

GrouseMan77
09-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Steve,

Check out the Vapor series by Winston. I have a 3wt that I am extremely pleased with.

donwinn
09-30-2008, 03:31 PM
I have a 3 wt Finesse. I have Orvis, Winston, St. Croix, and Fenwick rods. The TFO Finesse is one of my favorites. For the money, you cannot beat it.:smile:

Gypsy
09-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the info so far I am really leaning toward the TFO rod. Which means I will of course have to get a reel (I'm sure the wife understands)
Seriously thanks guys

PeteCz
09-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Ok, I'm only going to mention this because you said you want to save some money. If you want to get a new reel and line, go for it, but.........

You said you have several 5wt, so take your lightest spool/line with you when you cast the TFO and see if you can make nice short casts with about 15-20' of your 5wt line. I know many folks (myself included) that overline their rods in the park due to the short casts needed. It maybe that one of your reels is a 3/4/5 wt reel than can handle multiple wts (like the Orvis Clearwater) and you might be able to get away with a current reel/line combination.

The wt designation of a line relates to the first 30' of line, if you cast less than 30', you may find that a heavier wt line feels better matched with the 3wt rod...

Just a suggestion...I guess I'm up to $.04...

oody3wt
10-01-2008, 02:13 PM
In my experience TFO's Finesse is a great casting rod but, they are brittle. great things done with cheap graphite is how my boss put it. I've broken two and he has broken three and another friend of mine snapped his. four of these breaks happened on the back cast. best of luck in your shopping.

TroutAssassin
10-01-2008, 02:21 PM
TFO Pro Series hands down. You will love it.

Gypsy
10-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Ok, I'm only going to mention this because you said you want to save some money. If you want to get a new reel and line, go for it, but.........

You said you have several 5wt, so take your lightest spool/line with you when you cast the TFO and see if you can make nice short casts with about 15-20' of your 5wt line. I know many folks (myself included) that overline their rods in the park due to the short casts needed. It maybe that one of your reels is a 3/4/5 wt reel than can handle multiple wts (like the Orvis Clearwater) and you might be able to get away with a current reel/line combination.

The wt designation of a line relates to the first 30' of line, if you cast less than 30', you may find that a heavier wt line feels better matched with the 3wt rod...

Just a suggestion...I guess I'm up to $.04...

I believe my Ross Rhythm 1 I bought for a 4wt rod would do, I just didn't think of that. If I remember the 1 is a 2-4wt reel. Thanks for the wake-up. I guess I will have to make a trip to LRO to see how it would feel.

Gerry Romer
10-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Steve --

If you're looking for something just a bit "faster", while you're at LRO try casting the TFO TICr rod - overlined or not. Just a few bucks more than the PRO series, but worth it in terms of the backbone difference.

Gerry

Gypsy
10-01-2008, 04:25 PM
I was wondering where you were, considering you were the first to turn me onto the TFO's. Steve Moore has said he has a 3wt he built on a sage blank but he has not contacted me yet. I would like to see his before I make my choice.:eek:

Gerry Romer
10-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I'd like to see that one myself!

fly fisherman DK
10-01-2008, 08:31 PM
I love my TFO proffesional series 3wt rod. It works great and casts excellent. If I were you I would buy it in a heart beat.

fly fisherman DK

Plunker
10-02-2008, 05:55 PM
I love my TFO proffesional series 3wt rod. It works great and casts excellent. If I were you I would buy it in a heart beat.

fly fisherman DK

Up lined to a 4, used with a 3, or down to a 2....all just an excuse to buy more goodies TFO pro for me!:biggrin:

Gerry Romer
10-02-2008, 06:30 PM
I've got my 8' TFO Pro 4 wt. matched up with an Orvis BBS II loaded with a 4 wt RIO Nymph line, and it is a great combination.:smile:

Here's an aside -- ( Somebody, somewhere -- maybe on this board -- made a claim that "balance" ultimately is meaningless, since, once you've got line out through the tip top, the whole balance point changes... something to that effect. Well, to me, when the static rod [the lever] is matched with the proper weight reel and line density, that lever maintains a constant weight distribution throughout its length - independent of the amount of line in the air or on the water. It has a consistent feel from butt to tip top. Conversely, when that same rod is set up with a reel/ line combination that is slightly heavy, the lever takes on the feel of a club held backwards. Too much weight on the butt end tends to force me to whip the rod rather than let it move through and even arc. So, at least to me, it makes sense to take all your reels with you when you're test-driving a rod so that you can find that correct weight distribution balance.)

Anyway, the spool to my BBS II got stepped on and is out of whack, so Daniel sent it back to Orvis for "reconditioning". It's not back yet and I've been trying to fish the TFO with an old Orvis Clearwater reel:frown: It's just not the same. Too heavy, too clumsy.

Daniel, Is it back yet:confused:

Gerry

Gypsy
10-02-2008, 10:35 PM
I'd like to see that one myself!
Steve M. contacted me today, I hope to get up with him next week to get a look at the one he built.
Thanks for the additional info on taking all of my reels. Good points made well. I am going to try to hit the Smokies (a lot) next week. If you can geta break from your Big Hairy Deal one day shot me a e-mail. I would like to test the waters with a pro.:rolleyes:

Gypsy
10-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all of the input, from all of you guys. I have finally made my choice and ordered it today from LRO (Big Thanks to LRO (Annette)). Since I am a Ross Reels guy and they have a new limited edition out (that I just had to have) I ordered it with a Ross Essance rod 8'6 3wt. Ross had said if I am not completely happy with the rod, which they give a lifetime warrenty on. I could return it for a full refund. So I firgured if their reels were so go I should (with the above guarantee) give the rods a shot. Stay tuned to find out!

Troutman
10-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Be sure and give us a review of the Ross rods. I think the 8'6" 3wt FW would be a good mtn rod and with the med/fast action, you may not have to overline it like so many of fast rods being pushed these days. It should be a fun rod to fish midges and dries on the tailwaters also. I may have to sell off my backup 7.5' 4wt pack rod for one of those.

Bullwinkle
10-09-2008, 08:00 AM
late to this party, but..

the 7' 4wt Superfine w/CFO and the new wonderline is the perfect rod for the park.

flyred06
10-09-2008, 01:58 PM
I have to agree with Bullwinkle 100%. I have the same outfit and love it. Another fine choice is a diamondback glass rod. I have an 8ft 4wt in it and it is awesome. It stays strung up more than any other rod I have. It protects light tippet and makes the smallest of fish seem huge. Just my two cents worth. :biggrin:

Gypsy
10-17-2008, 04:36 PM
I picked up my new Ross Rod today, along with the Limited edition Ross CLA. I have to say I was please with the looks, and feel of the rod in the shop. After I got it home, I had some time to test it out. The new reel I had lined with 3wt and I had a Ross Rythem lined with 4wt. I tested both weights Ross calls it a med/fast rod I would say with the 3wt line it leans more toward the fast. However it didn't seem overly so, it really was a good feel and I was very pleased on both short and longer casts. The 4wt was not needed it was fine with the 3wt, as Troutman said, but I had to give it a try. I would recommend this rod to anyone it casts good, looks good, and has a lifetime warrenty, And you cannot bet the price. I am thinking of getting my son (8yrs. old) the Ross rod for kids.
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr152/gypsy72_fly/100_0302.jpg
Sorry the pic didn't turn out to good. If you want a few other opinons the folks at LRO tested a few, with the Ross rep.