PDA

View Full Version : October Trip

flyguys
09-30-2008, 05:06 PM
My son and I are planning a trip to the park the second week of October. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Do we fish up high or is lower on the rivers better this time of year? Should we use a fly that will float or a fly that has weight to get a little depth? Again, any info would be greatly appreciated. If it matters any, my son is 12 years old but is already pretty good at handling a fly rod. Thanks!!

Paula Begley
09-30-2008, 05:35 PM
flyguys,

I moved your post to the Smoky's forum so it would get more attention.

Paula

flyguys
09-30-2008, 05:40 PM
thanks, I'm pretty new to all this computer stuff! Bear with me.

mtnman2888
09-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Depends on the weather honestly. Carry some bwo's and october caddis/orange stimulator as well. Throwing a bwo wet fly should be very good as well.

As far as elevation goes, it looks to be cooling off so i would tend to stay a little lower. I know it's been getting pretty cold at night in the higher elevations so the water temperature may be approaching the range when the fish become inactive. Just a thought.

flyguys
09-30-2008, 09:24 PM
thanks, mtnman2888. I hope to have a good trip. will let you know how it turns out. thanks

MtnMike
09-30-2008, 10:42 PM
I think you should be fine at nearly all elevations. If we have a really cold night, the bite may slow a little. I'm kinda partial to dry fly fishing in the mountains, but your best bet may be to fish a dry and a dropper. I would expect action on nymphs in the mornings. But as the temps go up if fish start taking the dry, I usually get rid of the dropper to avoid the tangles and enjoy the experience. It is a great time to be in the smokys.

Mike

mtnman2888
10-01-2008, 05:53 AM
I made a couple backpacking trips last fall in late october/early november and the fish were pretty active during the warmer hours. It was kinda slow in the mornings, but then again air temps weren't much above freezing. Around midday the bite seemed to pick up once the air temp reached 50 or so.

flyguys
10-01-2008, 09:05 PM
thanks guys for all the info!! maybe we will get lucky and have a few come up and do a little more than sniff at it!