PDA

View Full Version : Best Back Country Brookies

hiwasseekid
10-01-2008, 03:53 PM
so the fall colors in the mountains and on the fish will be coming out soon and i want to find them both. where is the best back country fly fishing destination for these elusive fish ? I am experienced in fly fishing and hiking so distance is not a problem

bugg
10-01-2008, 04:40 PM
That leaves a lot of options to choose from. I guess it depends on which side of the park you want to go to. I'm more familiar with the NC side. Most of the major watersheds hold brookies in the higher elevation waters. Deep Creek, Hazel Creek, Cataloochee, Straight Fork, Oconaluftee, etc. all have a lot of options for specs. As for the TN side, I'll let some of the others that are more familiar with that area chime in. My advice though, get a map, find a creek that you wish to explore, and just go. You'll have a good time regardless. If you're staying at a backcountry campsite, be sure to check the regs. on it to see if you need a reservation or not.

Good luck and let us know how you did

PeteCz
10-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Snowbird Creek has a few brookies as well, if you're willing to walk 5 miles, or more...each way...

fly fisherman DK
10-01-2008, 08:25 PM
My Dad and I are going to camp at campsite 47 on Raven Fork to fish for brookies from the 11-13. This stream would probably also be a good place to go.

fly fisherman DK

hiwasseekid
10-10-2008, 09:33 PM
sounds good i am pretty experienced with the walking and have the gear to support myself for a few days ...so 5 miles or more each way is not bad ... i may have to investigate te nc side