PDA

View Full Version : General Smokies info

Worrgamesguy
10-03-2008, 10:03 AM
I need to learn A LOT about fishing up in the Smokies. I was in Gatlinburg for the first time last year in April, and I was amazed at how beautiful the river was that flowed through the town. We stayed at a hotel that was literally on the water, I could go out on the balcony and spit and it would hit water. We had to walk across a bridge to go into the main part of town, and there were usually 1 or 2 fishermen around the bridge. I never saw one catch a fish, but it sure seemed like pretty water.

What are good starter streams, and how close are they to the main strip of Gatlinburg? I'm considering spending some vacation time with my grandma during Spring Break up in the Smokies. I don't know how to access any of the rivers you talk about, or which is generally "better." I don't believe I have many flies that could work in the Smokies, I think I have a couple BWOs. How about EHCs? I have a lot of those, they are my indicator fly on the Caney. With the Smokies, you pretty much have to use dries, right?

Gerry Romer
10-03-2008, 10:43 AM
A lot depends on the time of year and the time of day. Right now I'm transitioning from summer yellow patterns to fall orange patterns for dries. Nymph patterns are fairly consistent year 'round. Summer is a big time for terrestrials and the infamous Green Weenie.

If you're gonna be staying around the G'burg area, you'll have a lot of choices of streams to try. G'burg is central to a lot of the park. You could go east toward Cosby and say hi to IJSouth... you could go southeast up the WPLP and look for Nvr2l8 and/or Petecz... you could head southwest and look for BRF trying to find fish above Elkmont.

Just let me know when you're headed this way and we'll get you set up!

Gerry

jeffnles1
10-03-2008, 10:48 AM
As for where to stay, a lot of us try to avoid Gatlinburg in favor of Townsend. If you want to go into Gatlinburg to shop and "see the sights" it's about a 30 minute drive from Townsend. Townsend is a lot quieter, less traffic, less hassle getting to the mountains, closer to Cades Cove if you want to drive the loop road thing and my wife, son and I just think a better experience.

If you really want the "night life" and like the people and "excitement" then by all means stay in Gatlinburg. There's nothing wrong with the town if you're into the kinds of things the town has to offer.

As for fishing, if you stay in G'burg, take a drive over to Townsend (two ways to get there, one through the park - head toward Cades Cove and turn right where you see the road sign that points to Townsend. Pretty easy to get there, the other is back up through Piegon Forge and hang a left (west/south) on Wears Valley Road, it'll take you to Townsend. Some of the locals may even know of other ways.

Once in Townsend, look up Little River Outfitters. They have maps of the park available and the folks there can point out what rivers are working, where to find access, what flies are hot, what trailheads to park at to get to the streams, etc.

If you don't have the flies already, LRO has an outstanding selection of very high quality flies that work in the Smokeys. (they also have a lot of other stuff that you'll find you just can't live without). My loving wife thinks I must be part owner of the shop.:smile:

Where to fish, what to use all kind of depends on when you're there. Check the fishing reports on this page and you'll get a general feel for what's going on. I'd still highly recommend stopping in the shop and chatting with the folks there. You'll get all the information you need to put you on fish.

Catching them is up to you.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

ijsouth
10-03-2008, 11:42 AM
You could go east toward Cosby and say hi to IJSouth...

Well, in the interest of accuracy, right at the present time you would have to go VERY south and VERY west to say hi to me....I'm at home/work in the great state of Louisiana ;)...however, I do hope to be up in the mountains for the week of Thanksgiving, and as for the Spring, sometime around Easter.

One day, I hope to be living in the Moonshine Capital of the World full-time, but I don't know when that day will come. As for where to stay, etc...I echo the sentiments about Gatlinburg - I hate driving through there, but sometimes you have no choice if you want to get from one side to the other. For example, as I come from the southwest, I usually go through Townsend, stop at LRO to say hi, etc, then go on my way...however, I tend to fish the eastern end of the park, so I have to get over the ridges to there, and that means going through G'burg. However, if you STAY in Gatlinburg, you will have one advantage - you're already halfway through the traffic, and it is a central location. You can simply drive into the park and fish miles of the WPLPR, right off the highway cutting through the center of the park. You can drive on U.S. 321 and hit Greenbriar or Cosby, and if you're a bit adventurous, Deep Creek - you can hop on I-40 there and hit Cataloochee. There are a bunch of options.

pineman19
10-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Just a suggestion, but you may want to consider purchasing one or both of the excellent books on flying in the Smokies that have been written by Don Kirk. These will give you a good play to start on fishing methods, destinations, stream info, etc. Then it's a matter of spending some time on the water and learning the streams, proper presentation, how to read the water. etc. The trout of the Smokies may be dumb as some on hear suggest, but they are not stupid and you need learn what works and what doesn't work. There is no substitute for experience on the streams of the Smokies IMHO. I learned the hard way, but using an experienced guide would probably ease the learning curve.

Neal

Worrgamesguy
10-03-2008, 01:04 PM
A lot depends on the time of year and the time of day. Right now I'm transitioning from summer yellow patterns to fall orange patterns for dries. Nymph patterns are fairly consistent year 'round. Summer is a big time for terrestrials and the infamous Green Weenie.

If you're gonna be staying around the G'burg area, you'll have a lot of choices of streams to try. G'burg is central to a lot of the park. You could go east toward Cosby and say hi to IJSouth... you could go southeast up the WPLP and look for Nvr2l8 and/or Petecz... you could head southwest and look for BRF trying to find fish above Elkmont.

Just let me know when you're headed this way and we'll get you set up!

Gerry

I want an open water that isn't TOO mountainous :p A little contradictory, no? I'm not looking to be standing on a rock that has been sprayed by whitewater, because my knee isn't back to 100% and I REALLY don't want it messing up out in the middle of nowhere.

As for where to stay, a lot of us try to avoid Gatlinburg in favor of Townsend. If you want to go into Gatlinburg to shop and "see the sights" it's about a 30 minute drive from Townsend. Townsend is a lot quieter, less traffic, less hassle getting to the mountains, closer to Cades Cove if you want to drive the loop road thing and my wife, son and I just think a better experience.

If you really want the "night life" and like the people and "excitement" then by all means stay in Gatlinburg. There's nothing wrong with the town if you're into the kinds of things the town has to offer.

As for fishing, if you stay in G'burg, take a drive over to Townsend (two ways to get there, one through the park - head toward Cades Cove and turn right where you see the road sign that points to Townsend. Pretty easy to get there, the other is back up through Piegon Forge and hang a left (west/south) on Wears Valley Road, it'll take you to Townsend. Some of the locals may even know of other ways.

Once in Townsend, look up Little River Outfitters. They have maps of the park available and the folks there can point out what rivers are working, where to find access, what flies are hot, what trailheads to park at to get to the streams, etc.

If you don't have the flies already, LRO has an outstanding selection of very high quality flies that work in the Smokeys. (they also have a lot of other stuff that you'll find you just can't live without). My loving wife thinks I must be part owner of the shop.:smile:

Where to fish, what to use all kind of depends on when you're there. Check the fishing reports on this page and you'll get a general feel for what's going on. I'd still highly recommend stopping in the shop and chatting with the folks there. You'll get all the information you need to put you on fish.

Catching them is up to you.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

That post like me trying to interpret Japanese- it ain't gonna happen. I don't know ANY roads or highways, because I haven't driven them yet. The farthest I go regularly is to the Caney, and I know the roads by heart but I couldn't tell you their names. All I know is I-40 and it goes to Knoxville. I fully intend to go to LRO, but my grandma can't afford to drive to and from Townsend. She needs to stay in the main part of Gatlinburg so it isn't much of a walk to all the shops, she loves Gatlinburg. I'm not much a fan, it's too generic. I will defitely pay the shop a visit though. I can handle the gas and all that stuff, I'm really psyched up for this trip.

Well, in the interest of accuracy, right at the present time you would have to go VERY south and VERY west to say hi to me....I'm at home/work in the great state of Louisiana ;)...however, I do hope to be up in the mountains for the week of Thanksgiving, and as for the Spring, sometime around Easter.

One day, I hope to be living in the Moonshine Capital of the World full-time, but I don't know when that day will come. As for where to stay, etc...I echo the sentiments about Gatlinburg - I hate driving through there, but sometimes you have no choice if you want to get from one side to the other. For example, as I come from the southwest, I usually go through Townsend, stop at LRO to say hi, etc, then go on my way...however, I tend to fish the eastern end of the park, so I have to get over the ridges to there, and that means going through G'burg. However, if you STAY in Gatlinburg, you will have one advantage - you're already halfway through the traffic, and it is a central location. You can simply drive into the park and fish miles of the WPLPR, right off the highway cutting through the center of the park. You can drive on U.S. 321 and hit Greenbriar or Cosby, and if you're a bit adventurous, Deep Creek - you can hop on I-40 there and hit Cataloochee. There are a bunch of options.

I need some help with the names, of both rivers and roads. I've heard great things about Deep Creek, and both the "Monts." As I said before, I'm looking for accessible parts of open water. I'm willing to spend at least 3 days trying to find fish as long as I catch ONE.

jeffnles1
10-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Trey,
It may be more like Spanish than Japanese :biggrin:

The roads I mentioned are all well marked and are right in the area. The main road from G'burg into the park is 441. That's the main drag through town and into the park. At the visitors center right inside the park boundary from G'burg, turn right and that's the road to Townsend. Several miles donw that road, you'll come to a rather big intersection where the river that's on the right turns away from the road and the intersection you can go straight (to Cades Cove) or turn right which takes you into Townsend. Stay on that road and do not turn off of it. About 2 miles (+/-) inside Townsend, Little River Outfitters is on the right. It's all pretty easy driving, just watch for tourists who may stop in the middle of the road to take a picture of a rock or something.

Gatlinburg it is. OK, if you go to the big intersection in Gatlingurg (close to the Aquarium and the like) and head east, you'll be on the road to Greenbriar and Cosby. Greenbriar comes first and is on the right side of the road. I think it's 3-5 miles or so. It is well marked and there's a ranger station there. Any if the river alongside the road all the way up as far as you can drive on the gravel road is fishable.

If you don't want to go to any of the side trips, you can fish on the main road through the park.

From Gatlinburg, just go into the park on the main road. Once you get past the visitor center, keep going straight. On the left side of the road you'll start seeing pull-offs every 3/4 mile of so and they are labeled Quiet Walkway. All of the walkways lead to the river from that side of the road. You can fish in any of them. A few miles on up the main road, you'll come to Chimney's Picnic Area. You and your grandmother can pull in there, have a nice picnic lunch and you can hop into the stream and start fishing there. Once you get 100 yards or so upstream from the picnic area, the boulder hopping becomes pretty serious and the only way out is the way you came. It's not too bad but not all that bad. My 13 year old son and I fished it this spring and we also fished it last year when he was 12.

Sorry about assuming you were more familiar with the area.

Are you going to be driving, or will your grandmother have the car and be dropping you off to fish? If she'll be dropping you off, I"d recommend the quiet walkways (you can prearrange a time for her to pick you up), Greenbriar (nice picnic area there too for her to wait while you grab an hour or two fishing) or the Chimneys picnic area (same reason as greenbriar, there's a place for her to wait or if she wants to go shopping for a couple hours while you fish, it's not that far of a drive back to G'burg.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

Worrgamesguy
10-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Trey,
It may be more like Spanish than Japanese :biggrin:

The roads I mentioned are all well marked and are right in the area. The main road from G'burg into the park is 441. That's the main drag through town and into the park. At the visitors center right inside the park boundary from G'burg, turn right and that's the road to Townsend. Several miles donw that road, you'll come to a rather big intersection where the river that's on the right turns away from the road and the intersection you can go straight (to Cades Cove) or turn right which takes you into Townsend. Stay on that road and do not turn off of it. About 2 miles (+/-) inside Townsend, Little River Outfitters is on the right. It's all pretty easy driving, just watch for tourists who may stop in the middle of the road to take a picture of a rock or something.

Gatlinburg it is. OK, if you go to the big intersection in Gatlingurg (close to the Aquarium and the like) and head east, you'll be on the road to Greenbriar and Cosby. Greenbriar comes first and is on the right side of the road. I think it's 3-5 miles or so. It is well marked and there's a ranger station there. Any if the river alongside the road all the way up as far as you can drive on the gravel road is fishable.

If you don't want to go to any of the side trips, you can fish on the main road through the park.

From Gatlinburg, just go into the park on the main road. Once you get past the visitor center, keep going straight. On the left side of the road you'll start seeing pull-offs every 3/4 mile of so and they are labeled Quiet Walkway. All of the walkways lead to the river from that side of the road. You can fish in any of them. A few miles on up the main road, you'll come to Chimney's Picnic Area. You and your grandmother can pull in there, have a nice picnic lunch and you can hop into the stream and start fishing there. Once you get 100 yards or so upstream from the picnic area, the boulder hopping becomes pretty serious and the only way out is the way you came. It's not too bad but not all that bad. My 13 year old son and I fished it this spring and we also fished it last year when he was 12.

Sorry about assuming you were more familiar with the area.

Are you going to be driving, or will your grandmother have the car and be dropping you off to fish? If she'll be dropping you off, I"d recommend the quiet walkways (you can prearrange a time for her to pick you up), Greenbriar (nice picnic area there too for her to wait while you grab an hour or two fishing) or the Chimneys picnic area (same reason as greenbriar, there's a place for her to wait or if she wants to go shopping for a couple hours while you fish, it's not that far of a drive back to G'burg.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

I understand Spanish, partially :biggrin: I've onjly been to Gatlinburg once, and that was a year ago. We stayed in a hotel right on the river, and when walking you could cross a bridge over the river and the entire strip of Gatlinburg is on the left. It was a fun town but it got boring after the 2nd or 3rd day. That's why I want to fish there so bad, entertainment. Plus I really want to catch one of the fingerlings, one like your avatar. I will be driving, haven't quite figured out the car situation yet. She has a van, but it's a gas hog compared to my Honda. I dunno how we could cram into my Honda, but as long as we stayed in Gatlinburg she could walk to all the stores she wanted to visit, and I could drive to where I decided to fish. I appreciate all the info, we'll see how well it works when I have to put it to use.

Gerry Romer
10-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Just a suggestion, but you may want to consider purchasing one or both of the excellent books on flying in the Smokies...

I thought they outlawed that years ago :rolleyes:

Maybe search and rescue, but I'm pretty sure the helicopter thrill rides are now of limits :smile:

BlueRaiderFan
10-03-2008, 05:17 PM
I need to learn A LOT about fishing up in the Smokies. I was in Gatlinburg for the first time last year in April, and I was amazed at how beautiful the river was that flowed through the town. We stayed at a hotel that was literally on the water, I could go out on the balcony and spit and it would hit water. We had to walk across a bridge to go into the main part of town, and there were usually 1 or 2 fishermen around the bridge. I never saw one catch a fish, but it sure seemed like pretty water.

What are good starter streams, and how close are they to the main strip of Gatlinburg? I'm considering spending some vacation time with my grandma during Spring Break up in the Smokies. I don't know how to access any of the rivers you talk about, or which is generally "better." I don't believe I have many flies that could work in the Smokies, I think I have a couple BWOs. How about EHCs? I have a lot of those, they are my indicator fly on the Caney. With the Smokies, you pretty much have to use dries, right?

If your knee is bad, you'll need to go where you can cast from the bank and don't have to go through much to get down to the water. I think you should fish just below Elkmont for that, or maybe on the river between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, or along the road through the park going to the NC side (I guess this would be the East prong of the LPR). If your knee is better by the time you go, you could go any number of places. From my experience so far, just hike about an hour above Treemont or Elkmont and start fishing. Or go over to the NC side and do the same thing above any of the trail heads that have a stream or river access. All of these can easily be seen on the map. I caught my only Trout in the park by using the high stick method (I didn't realize it at the time, but that is what I was doing to keep the slack out of my line because it was coming back to me so darn fast). I've also learned to stay on the sahdy side of the river, be quiet, and stay on the bank to cast for the most part. Also, the fish are not generally in the big pools on the stream. They are on the lip or at the tail or head, or maybe around a big rock in the middle, but a big open pool with a sandy bottom and small pebbles isn't a good plac eto look for trout. JMHO. I'll be up that way next week if you happen to be going. Good luck.

pineman19
10-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I thought they outlawed that years ago :rolleyes:

Maybe search and rescue, but I'm pretty sure the helicopter thrill rides are now of limits :smile:
Okay, okay, you got me Gerry. I don't believe that typing error was my fault. If the board administrator can add all these other fancy buttons, why can't they add a tool that will catch and automatically fix and repair these types of careless mistakes. My goodness, we are in the 21st century. He He !

BlueRaiderFan
10-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Oh yeah, work your line toward the lip, by working up one side of the pool, in small increments. If you strip off a bunch of line and toss it up to the next lip all at once, you'll line all the fish between you and the next lip and probably have no hope of catching them. I may be wrong about some of this, but I've been doing a lot of reading. If none of this works, call HUgh Hartsell and spend the money to be taught by a pro.;) Speaking of Double H, you may want to bring some of his soft hackles (SMBBSH).;)

Worrgamesguy
10-03-2008, 09:37 PM
If your knee is bad, you'll need to go where you can cast from the bank and don't have to go through much to get down to the water. I think you should fish just below Elkmont for that, or maybe on the river between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, or along the road through the park going to the NC side (I guess this would be the East prong of the LPR). If your knee is better by the time you go, you could go any number of places. From my experience so far, just hike about an hour above Treemont or Elkmont and start fishing. Or go over to the NC side and do the same thing above any of the trail heads that have a stream or river access. All of these can easily be seen on the map. I caught my only Trout in the park by using the high stick method (I didn't realize it at the time, but that is what I was doing to keep the slack out of my line because it was coming back to me so darn fast). I've also learned to stay on the sahdy side of the river, be quiet, and stay on the bank to cast for the most part. Also, the fish are not generally in the big pools on the stream. They are on the lip or at the tail or head, or maybe around a big rock in the middle, but a big open pool with a sandy bottom and small pebbles isn't a good plac eto look for trout. JMHO. I'll be up that way next week if you happen to be going. Good luck.

I dislocated my knee in March, finished therapy by July but it's still bugging me. I went fishing in the West Virginia back country in May and hiked for miles, but at a very slow pace. I will be out there maybe in March or April, but I wanted to start my learning process now, I'm anxious :biggrin:

Oh yeah, work your line toward the lip, by working up one side of the pool, in small increments. If you strip off a bunch of line and toss it up to the next lip all at once, you'll line all the fish between you and the next lip and probably have no hope of catching them. I may be wrong about some of this, but I've been doing a lot of reading. If none of this works, call HUgh Hartsell and spend the money to be taught by a pro.;) Speaking of Double H, you may want to bring some of his soft hackles (SMBBSH).;)

I definitely won't have the cash to hire a guide, I'll barely have enough to make the trip and buy all the essentials.

PeteCz
10-04-2008, 11:40 AM
That post like me trying to interpret Japanese- it ain't gonna happen. I don't know ANY roads or highways, because I haven't driven them yet. The farthest I go regularly is to the Caney, and I know the roads by heart but I couldn't tell you their names.First off, anyone who is looking at being a fighter pilot (or wants to fly or drive any distances), needs to be able to read maps. You need to start working on that skill right away. Once you have a few of the stream names that interest you, you should do a search on this forum and you'll get more info than you could possibly handle. Learn to be resourceful, don't always expect to get the answer you are looking for by posting a question. Sometimes you have to do some research on your own. One of the greatest life skills you can attain is the ability to be resourceful.

Check out these FREE maps (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm) of the park and the roads in the area. You should especially look at the trail map. You'll have to zoom up to 100% or more before it gets very readable. If you zoom in on the Gatlinburg section of the map you can see a few streams in the area. There are other maps that you can purchase at REI in Nashville or the Smokies store online that have a lot more detail, but the free maps will at least get you going.

As many of the others have suggested, the stream with the closest proximity to G'burg is the West Prong of the Little Pigeon (WPLP). Down low around the Sugarland Visitors Center the WPLP is fairly close to the road and not too much of a struggle with hiking (climbing). The further up US441 you go toward Newfound Gap, the steeper the gradient of the stream (more boulder hopping) and the more strain you will put on your knee. Around your Spring Break the stream may fish better lower anyway.

The two other really good options from G'burg would be the Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon (Greenbrier) to the east of G'burg, and the upper section of the Middle Prong of the Little River (Elkmont), to the west. You can look at the map and figure out how to get to both of those streams as well. Of the two, I like the section of the Little River above the Elkmont CG along the LR Trail. Its a very flat and wide trail that's easy to hike and you can go as far as your knee can take you (the farther upstream you go the dumber the fish are...). The stream has less gradient and is wide open and much easier to cast in that some of the other streams in the park. Take some #16 BHPTs and your favorite dry fly as an indicator and you'll catch some fish (if you don't spook them first).

There are a few small unmarked streams on the map between WPLP and Greenbrier, which are LeConte Creek and Roaring Fork. They are close to G'burg and are nice streams in their own right, but could be tough to get around in with a bum knee.

If your knee feels better by the Spring I would highly recommend the upper section of WPLP known as the Gorge. You can do a search on the site and get lots of information about it.

Gerry Romer
10-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Trey --

I've just been goofin' with ya!!:smile:

If you will recall, when you and David and I finished up on the Caney, I told you that if you ever found a way to get over to the Smokies, I'd be happy to introduce you to a few wild Smoky Mountain trout. All you have to do is let me know when you're coming in. You can leave the car with your grandmother and we can hit the mountains! We can probably get Charlie B. - nvr2L8 - to show us his secret access to the gorge above the Chimneys picnic grounds (I'm sure that'll be a tough sell :rolleyes: ). And there's plenty of places to go after those little specs you're interested in... Sam's Creek, Walker Camp Prong, Beech Flats Creek...

How long are you planning on being here, and exactly when? I'd like to take a day and head up to the South Holston. And if the timing is right we can talk my son into drifting the Clinch. I mean, if you've got the time, we've got the fish! And just maybe we can put you on all these East TN streams you've been reading about.

And no need to worry about gas either. I'm going fishing and you're going with me. That's just how it works! And an appropriate selection of flies will be provided. Just give me enough advance notice so I can clear my book for a few days.

Gerry

nvr2L8
10-04-2008, 04:12 PM
I would be more than happy to help with the gorge if you are up to it by then. No secret access, just much ignored.

Worrgamesguy
10-04-2008, 07:10 PM
First off, anyone who is looking at being a fighter pilot (or wants to fly or drive any distances), needs to be able to read maps. You need to start working on that skill right away. Once you have a few of the stream names that interest you, you should do a search on this forum and you'll get more info than you could possibly handle. Learn to be resourceful, don't always expect to get the answer you are looking for by posting a question. Sometimes you have to do some research on your own. One of the greatest life skills you can attain is the ability to be resourceful.

Check out these FREE maps (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm) of the park and the roads in the area. You should especially look at the trail map. You'll have to zoom up to 100% or more before it gets very readable. If you zoom in on the Gatlinburg section of the map you can see a few streams in the area. There are other maps that you can purchase at REI in Nashville or the Smokies store online that have a lot more detail, but the free maps will at least get you going.

As many of the others have suggested, the stream with the closest proximity to G'burg is the West Prong of the Little Pigeon (WPLP). Down low around the Sugarland Visitors Center the WPLP is fairly close to the road and not too much of a struggle with hiking (climbing). The further up US441 you go toward Newfound Gap, the steeper the gradient of the stream (more boulder hopping) and the more strain you will put on your knee. Around your Spring Break the stream may fish better lower anyway.

The two other really good options from G'burg would be the Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon (Greenbrier) to the east of G'burg, and the upper section of the Middle Prong of the Little River (Elkmont), to the west. You can look at the map and figure out how to get to both of those streams as well. Of the two, I like the section of the Little River above the Elkmont CG along the LR Trail. Its a very flat and wide trail that's easy to hike and you can go as far as your knee can take you (the farther upstream you go the dumber the fish are...). The stream has less gradient and is wide open and much easier to cast in that some of the other streams in the park. Take some #16 BHPTs and your favorite dry fly as an indicator and you'll catch some fish (if you don't spook them first).

There are a few small unmarked streams on the map between WPLP and Greenbrier, which are LeConte Creek and Roaring Fork. They are close to G'burg and are nice streams in their own right, but could be tough to get around in with a bum knee.

If your knee feels better by the Spring I would highly recommend the upper section of WPLP known as the Gorge. You can do a search on the site and get lots of information about it.

Laziness kills :rolleyes: From some of the research I've done myself, it seems like it was partially biased or written by someone who is uneducated in the subject. I will do some research for sure, but how did you know I wanted to be a fighter pilot? It isn't gonna happen, but I will be a pilot.

Trey --

I've just been goofin' with ya!!:smile:

If you will recall, when you and David and I finished up on the Caney, I told you that if you ever found a way to get over to the Smokies, I'd be happy to introduce you to a few wild Smoky Mountain trout. All you have to do is let me know when you're coming in. You can leave the car with your grandmother and we can hit the mountains! We can probably get Charlie B. - nvr2L8 - to show us his secret access to the gorge above the Chimneys picnic grounds (I'm sure that'll be a tough sell :rolleyes: ). And there's plenty of places to go after those little specs you're interested in... Sam's Creek, Walker Camp Prong, Beech Flats Creek...

How long are you planning on being here, and exactly when? I'd like to take a day and head up to the South Holston. And if the timing is right we can talk my son into drifting the Clinch. I mean, if you've got the time, we've got the fish! And just maybe we can put you on all these East TN streams you've been reading about.

And no need to worry about gas either. I'm going fishing and you're going with me. That's just how it works! And an appropriate selection of flies will be provided. Just give me enough advance notice so I can clear my book for a few days.

Gerry

Gerry, your generosity never ceases to amaze me. I'd like that, but I need to do a little more research beforehand. It might end up where I won't be over there at all, but no plans have been made. You live in Townsend, right? I could come meet you there since it would be close to Gatlinburg. But any fishing with you it's impossible not to learn something, even if I don't catch anything other than a cold :p

PeteCz
10-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Laziness kills :rolleyes: From some of the research I've done myself, it seems like it was partially biased or written by someone who is uneducated in the subject. I will do some research for sure, but how did you know I wanted to be a fighter pilot? It isn't gonna happen, but I will be a pilot.

Since I probably contributed some of the info on some of those threads, I'll try not to be offended by the uneducated comment. But honestly, if you are asking for opinions then you are going to get biased views...I believe that sums up what an opinion is.

My mistake on the fighter pilot assumption...I combined the "Worrgamesguy" alias with Pilot training...

I would also be happy to show you some spots around the Park, although I know that Gerry would be a better host...He once let me borrow his wading boots for a week to do a hiking/fishing field test, so I know first hand that his generosity is very genuine.

Worrgamesguy
10-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Since I probably contributed some of the info on some of those threads, I'll try not to be offended by the uneducated comment. But honestly, if you are asking for opinions then you are going to get biased views...I believe that sums up what an opinion is.

My mistake on the fighter pilot assumption...I combined the "Worrgamesguy" alias with Pilot training...

I would also be happy to show you some spots around the Park, although I know that Gerry would be a better host...He once let me borrow his wading boots for a week to do a hiking/fishing field test, so I know first hand that his generosity is very genuine.

Sorry I forgot about this thread, guys.

Haha my bad for the misunderstanding- you told me to get on fly fishing websites/blogs, and other means of research, which I had already. I found them to be a little "off" if you will, so that's why I stay on here for my main source of information knowledge. It seemed like there is more of a wealth of fishing knowledge here that knows exactly what to do with a noob like me. Trust me I meant no offense, and when I read your post I could see how I was mistaken for throwing insults. Why insult someone who knows more than you? Sour grapes? I've never read anything bad here on the board, which is why I love it so much.

Oh, and Worrgamesguy is Worr Games Products (WGP), a company in paintball. I didn't know it was an alias for pilot training, but kinda cool that it is... I'm going to MTSU next fall to study aerospace.