PDA

View Full Version : Somthing Different on 9-29-2008

gf2
10-03-2008, 01:12 PM
My buddy Don hooked this 30-incher completely by surprise. This was a accidental first for either of us.
The Little River Banded Watersnake was gently released unharmed. We felt bad about ruining his lunch, though.
gf2

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr351/gf2_2008/IMGP3062.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr351/gf2_2008/WaterSnakewithSculpin.jpg

pineman19
10-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Cool pics!

gmreeves
10-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I think I'll start fishing sculpins!

Worrgamesguy
10-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Dang you... I'm at school and they block all pictures, so I thought you were being serious :mad: :p

WNCFLY
10-03-2008, 03:20 PM
What kind of fish is that? Looks like one of those flying fish. lol. On a similar note I hooked a copperhead in the Davidson river about five years ago. Taking the hook out was defiantly interesting. The funny thing was that me and my friend were checked by a game warden shortly after I had hooked him. The look on his face was priceless when he walked up on us. I had to pin his head down with a stick and take the hook from his head with some hemostats(very carefully). Wish I had a camera that day:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

ijsouth
10-03-2008, 04:59 PM
I think the fish is some sort of sculpin - it has the body shape of one.

As for unhooking a copperhead - you're a better man than I. I think I would be snipping my leader and letting the snake have the fly. It's just like stingrays down here; some people will cut off the tails with a knife and keep them (you can make faux scallops out of them). Not me - I cut the line...I don't even lift them completely out of the water. One swipe from one of those might not kill you, but you will be in a world of pain and you will be going to a hospital.

Milton
10-03-2008, 07:23 PM
As for unhooking a copperhead - you're a better man than I. I think I would be snipping my leader and letting the snake have the fly.

Heck, I'd probably abandon my rod.;)

-Milton

Worrgamesguy
10-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Heck, I'd probably abandon my rod.;)

-Milton

No you wouldn't haha. I'd sacrifice a $10 leader over my entire setup ;)

caught 108
10-04-2008, 12:12 AM
That's different all right,That snake would have kept that fly and about 7' of 4lb test.

Gypsy
10-04-2008, 02:38 PM
I have never caught a snake while fishing (Thank God) but am very happy to read someone caught a copperhead. A few years back while fishing the Hiawsse a copperhead ran me out of the water. The reason I bring this up is everyone told me I was wrong that copperheads don't swim, but I still hold to my story it was a copperhead. And I ran like a little school girl!

nvr2L8
10-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Steve,

Understand we have some common acquaintenances (if you can call my sister and her husband acquaintenances). Small world.

fly fisherman DK
10-05-2008, 11:26 AM
I'd give that snake my leader and fly, and then hightail it out of there like Forrest Gump.:eek: :biggrin:

Gypsy
10-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Steve,

Understand we have some common acquaintenances (if you can call my sister and her husband acquaintenances). Small world.
I was talking with him yesterday about going to New York with him, this week. I believe I will stay home and fish the smokies instead. I have one more week off and I am trying to fish it all!!!!!!!!

nvr2L8
10-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Let's see..... Go to New York or fish in the Smokies. Tough choice.

I believe you have the right idea. Slay 'em.

WNCFLY
10-06-2008, 09:58 AM
I have never caught a snake while fishing (Thank God) but am very happy to read someone caught a copperhead. A few years back while fishing the Hiawsse a copperhead ran me out of the water. The reason I bring this up is everyone told me I was wrong that copperheads don't swim, but I still hold to my story it was a copperhead. And I ran like a little school girl!

They defiantly do swim. I have seen them cross the creek many times. I don't know if they ever go sub-surface but I have seen them in the water many times. I am one of the "weird" people who love snakes. I have two myself. I am terrified of spiders, but have no problem handling snakes. I did have enough sense not to handle that copperhead though. :biggrin:

Troutman
10-06-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm with gf2, thats a nonpoisonous banded watersnake, Not a copperhead. Notice the narrow head and round pupils. They are very abundant along most streams in the region and seen all over the hiwassee.

WNCFLY
10-06-2008, 01:05 PM
You must have misunderstood my post troutman. I hooked a copperhead in the Davidson river about five years ago. I was responding to gf2's original post. That picture he has is defiantly a water snake.

Water snake.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/WNCFLY/banded_watersnake_juv_1.jpg

Copperhead
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/WNCFLY/2006-27.jpg

Troutman
10-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Yep, Misunderstood. I have seen more of those watersnakes around the Davidson and N. Mills than anywhere else I have ever fished.

WNCFLY
10-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah, me too. The Davidson has a ton of snakes for some reason. Maybe the wildlife association releases them to deal with the obscene amount of tourists in that area, lol.:biggrin:

Worrgamesguy
10-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Yep, Misunderstood. I have seen more of those watersnakes around the Davidson and N. Mills than anywhere else I have ever fished.

:eek:

Nice Mill is FULL of snakes. I had one swim between my legs, and when I saw it I started stepping back and I scared it I guess because it swam away really fast. Must have thought I was a log or something. From now on, I will never go without waders because of how many snakes and other creepy things are in there.