PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite species?

Worrgamesguy
10-03-2008, 11:04 PM
This seemed like the best place to put this, but I want to know your favorite species to pursue.

For trout, why did you choose that species over the other two?

My personal favorite are browns, they're prettier to me. Sure, brookies are spunkier but nothing is more gratifying than landing a brown.

David Knapp
10-03-2008, 11:45 PM
How about just a "trout" category? As long as I'm catching trout I'm happy. Don't care whether its a rainbow, brown, brook, some strain of Cutt, Apache, etc just as long as its a trout...:cool: If I had to pick from the above just one fish that I would be limited to in the future, it would be browns...

ttas67
10-04-2008, 01:17 AM
usually browns. although, it can depend on where I'm fishing. When David and I were on the Gunnison, I was very much into the bows!

DarrinG
10-04-2008, 08:12 AM
River Smallmouth Bass!

golfballs03
10-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Fishing in the eastern US, there's nothing like being up in the mountains catching some beautiful brook trout

jeffnles1
10-04-2008, 02:32 PM
I voted for brookies, but wish bluegill would have been on the list. Honestly, bluegill and pumpkinseeds are my favorite fish to catch.

Pumpkinseeds - warm water brookies.

Jeff

seagull
10-04-2008, 06:36 PM
STRIPERS!!! You can catch a 20 inch trout or a 20 pound striper. Any species where the little guys are 4 to 6 pounders gets my vote.

JimmyC
10-05-2008, 08:06 AM
I can't pick 'cause I don't care if it's a 15 pound steelhead or a 8 inch brook. But, I do prefer to be here at home in the backcountry, so... maybe brook?

Paula Begley
10-05-2008, 08:20 AM
I'd vote for an "All of the Above" category. ;)

Paula

fly fisherman DK
10-05-2008, 11:41 AM
I always love to catch a lot of brook trout up in the mountains.

Worrgamesguy
10-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I voted for brookies, but wish bluegill would have been on the list. Honestly, bluegill and pumpkinseeds are my favorite fish to catch.

Pumpkinseeds - warm water brookies.

Jeff

I meant freshwater to be warmwater, an all encompassing category. And I know about pumpkinseeds, they KILLED a bee imitation that I had.

I'd vote for an "All of the Above" category. ;)

Paula

Haha that's a definite, but I'm speaking of absolute FAVORITE :biggrin:

golfballs03
10-05-2008, 03:39 PM
How about blue marlin

oody3wt
10-05-2008, 09:15 PM
What ever happens to be fancying my fly

Gypsy
10-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Okay I voted "bows I have always been a sucker for the underdog. Plus it is the first fish I ever caught as a boy, and the first fish caught on a fly.

Troutman
10-08-2008, 04:02 PM
River Smallies are tops on my list.

PeteCz
10-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Its not on the list, but my favorite species to pursue would be Cutthroat Trout. They have the aggressiveness and vivid colors of a Brookie, mixed with the athleticism of a Rainbow. Plus they live in some of the most scenic and pristine parts of our country so even if I don't catch one, I enjoy just being "out there"...

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/PeteCz21/Colorado/GCCutt.jpg

Speckleman5
10-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Haven't managed one of those beauties yet. next year for sure. up until this year I would have said Brookies hands down. I spent all of my time in the HIGHEST elevation streams, a lot of the stuff like Craig does....but now that I am getting better at catching some bigger browns......I have to go with the gold bellies.

ijsouth
10-09-2008, 12:42 PM
It had to be Brook for me...they're what got me hooked on this in the first place, and there's something about them being the true natives, at least in the East; perhaps if I fished out West, it would be the cutthroats.

TroutAssassin
10-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Anything in Saltwater. Pound for pound the hardest fighters with fins...hands down.

bigpopper
10-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Ta - I have to agree with you on that one. My first saltwater fish on fly was a 9 in. Aber Jack and he fought like a 2lb largemouth. I just caught it last month and cant wait to hit the salt again. Although I still love to catch 5lb largemouths on "Big Poppers" ;) , and Catching Tout are great fun as well.

BlueRaiderFan
10-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Ta - I have to agree with you on that one. My first saltwater fish on fly was a 9 in. Aber Jack and he fought like a 2lb largemouth. I just caught it last month and cant wait to hit the salt again. Although I still love to catch 5lb largemouths on "Big Poppers" ;) , and Catching Tout are great fun as well.

I don't really care what I catch, as long as it fights and as long as I'm not wearing a really goofy straw hat when I catch it...:biggrin:

Treecatcher2
11-25-2008, 01:05 PM
I do like catching bluegills

Carolina Boy
11-25-2008, 03:34 PM
The thing I like the best about flyfishing is that the game changes so much depending on the species. To me that presents such a varied challenge, and it's cool because you pre-plan accordingly. Whether it's stalking a tailing red on some marsh flat, or pounding the banks with big buggs looking for some monster brown. I think I get more excited about the differing challenges than I do the actual targeting of one species over another. It is all great! Ain't that's why we do, what we do!

Treecatcher2
11-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Its great to try them all and when you are closer to lakes, impounds, and occasional small stream you learn to appreciate a range of fish!

Byron Begley
12-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Bluegill. They bring out the kid in me. They were the first for me on a fly rod. I live in trout country. Maybe the grass is greener! But I like them all no matter what species they are as long as they hit a fly.

Byron

Kytroutbum
12-05-2008, 01:10 AM
My #1---Sanibel Island SNOOK in the mangroves.There's a reason for using 3 foot of 35 lb. flourocarbon bite tippet. Until I caught my first one 4 years ago, I thought Smallies and Big "bows were tops. Freshwater for fight- Landlocked Salmon below the Rip Dam on the WB of Penobscot. With a "3000 cfs treadmill" to train on , these jump higher and fight longer than any other fish I've caught. For pure beauty, the Fall colored Brookies in the pools with them! These are the reason I alternate every other year between Yellowstone area and Maine

hw3
12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Hard to pick just one. Since I do not live anywhere near their habitat, and only get to fish for them once a year on a western trip, favorite has to be West Slope Cutthroat. Got to the Turks this spring and caught bonefish; have to be near the top as well. Landlocked salmon in Maine, GSMNP Slam, ****, this could go on forever. Has to be a "moveable feast" of whatever is out there in the water in which I happen to be standing, waving a stick. Skip Watson

Tarheelflyfishing
12-19-2008, 05:59 PM
I would have to say my favorite trout is a Cutthroat--Westslope/Yellowstone/Lahotan/greenback and so on. When I was in Montana, I really thought these guys were awesome...I mean what other trout species is so anxious to grab a dry off of the surface. Great fish, gotta love 'em

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Wilson10
01-05-2009, 02:50 PM
I voted for Browns. My homewaters mainly produce bulk 'bows, but when I hook into a beautiful brown I feel all warm inside :-D

Thanks!

Adam