PDA

View Full Version : Layering to keep warm & dry

Nharrier
10-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Ok, its getting to be that time of year! What is your preference for the area you fish? I recall a few years ago back in October on the Clinch, it rained for days and was cold (below 50) most of the day. We caught fish and had a blast. But as I recall I wasn't always the most comfortable with a bulky fleece jacket under a rain jacket and wearing neoprene waders and fingerless gloves. The neoprene on the legs and feet worked great! I'll be headed to TN in late October so I want to be better prepared!
Thanks!!

Grumpy
10-06-2008, 06:31 AM
I like a mid weight capilene base(til 20 degrees) windproof fleece over that & GoreTex on the outer layer, liner sock/wool sock for the tootsies(when it's really cold) & a flask of 18 year old Scotch;)

Grumpy

flyguys
10-06-2008, 06:43 AM
the scotch is a must! single malt, thank you.

buckeyetrouter
10-06-2008, 07:56 AM
would a Jameson triple distilled Irish Whiskey suffice? Would hate to arrive with the wrong heat source next week........

kytroutman
10-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Agree with Grumpy. It's better to layer with the Patagonia Capilene on the base and build up with additional clothing. It's easier to remove items when it warms up instead of adding on. Doing this, I was able to get rid of the neoprene which sometime constricts movement. Don't forget the "Toasty Toes" and Hand Warmer packs that help out.

oody3wt
10-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Ice Breaker makes some great merino wool products and is often a little cheaper than patigonia or patigucci, however you decide to look at it. The Scotch helps but really only provides the illusion of warmth but please gentlemen, dont let that stop you. stay warm out there.

kytroutman
10-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Don't disagree oody3wt, but I prefer the washing machine for the synthetics over the hand washing of the wool products.

Nharrier
10-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Never been an onstream sipper but a good cab wine can sure put a cap on the day w/ a friend. Although now I wll have to try the scotch.
Capilene sounds good (dries faster and easier to wash than wool base). Would the mid weight be a Capilene 2 or 3? I had forgotten about liner socks. I have never used hand warmer packs, any suggestions?
My Florida thin blood thanks you!

golfballs03
10-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Capelene is a must, but on top of that I like Simms' Superlight Insulated Jacket. Its compact and packs into a self-contained pocket. But hopefully it won't get that cold in October

Grumpy
10-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Never been an onstream sipper but a good cab wine can sure put a cap on the day w/ a friend. Although now I wll have to try the scotch.
Capilene sounds good (dries faster and easier to wash than wool base). Would the mid weight be a Capilene 2 or 3? I had forgotten about liner socks. I have never used hand warmer packs, any suggestions?
My Florida thin blood thanks you!

The capilene will be a 2, i don't go to 3 until the temps fall below 20 degrees or i'm camping & i try to avoid both when it get's that cold:eek:
Unless temps change drastically, all the above but the single malt may not be needed:rolleyes:

Grumpy

Nharrier
10-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the input and clarification. Regarding the temperature, it and rain will come when I get there (Oct 22-27). So I guess the malt will even be more important. Hope someday to put faces to the people I have met on the message board (thanks LRO!).

billyspey
10-08-2008, 11:05 PM
The capilene will be a 2, i don't go to 3 until the temps fall below 20 degrees or i'm camping & i try to avoid both when it get's that cold:eek:
Unless temps change drastically, all the above but the single malt may not be needed:rolleyes:

Grumpy

you vandy city slickers with malt from dairy Queen , i like mine clear from a mason jar and WARMER TOO

Grumpy
10-09-2008, 07:42 AM
you vandy city slickers with malt from dairy Queen , i like mine clear from a mason jar and WARMER TOO

Now Bill, remember i have to travel from the boonies everyday to get to the city & i was trying to keep it legal;)
BTW, i think alcohol is illegal in the Park, someone correct me.

Grumpy

PeteCz
10-09-2008, 11:25 AM
BTW, i think alcohol is illegal in the Park, someone correct me.

Here's whats on the NPS site:
Alcohol is permitted in campgrounds and picnic areas, provided the person in possession is at least 21 years old.

I suspect that means its illegal everywhere else...like in the streams...

monktrout
10-09-2008, 09:01 PM
I like Smartwool. Great socks and a very good sweater; light, warm and durable. I have a SST jacket when it gets wet. Patagonia bottoms , a Simms midweight top, fingerless gloves and a warm cap do it. Monk

BuckeyeRick
10-14-2008, 02:27 PM
This is what I use for the very coldest Steelhead weather.

Top - Capilene 1 + either Cap 2 or Polypropylene + Wool shirt. Wool cap with baseball hot on top.

Bottom - Cap 1 + Poly or fleece pants + waders.

Feet - Smartwool's heaviest sock (they are amazing) + boots. I have used liners too, but couldn't really feel the difference.

Rain - Add Columbia's Queet River wading jacket on top.

Hands - I have a pair of fleece mittens, that have a pull back top to fingerless gloves. I just use these when I am walking and go bare to fish.

And as Towelie from South Park says, "Don't forget to bring a towel!" Just having the ability to dry your hands is a real treat.

buzzmcmanus
10-14-2008, 02:41 PM
For those of you who like smartwool socks, there is a hosiery (I have no idea on the spelling) that is one of the manufacturers of smartwool socks in Cleveland. They have a small discount store located in the warehouse. You are limited in the number you can buy, I think 6 pairs, maybe 12 pairs, but they are only 3 bucks a pair!!! cash only. I've been there several times over the past couple years. Best socks for the money. They are located on Michigan Avenue and have a piece of paper that says "socks" taped to the enterance door.

I hope I haven't stepped on anyones toes by posting this, If so, delete it.

Buzz