PDA

View Full Version : 10/07 Adventure

nvr2L8
10-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I am trying really hard to work Little River but my success has been spotty at best. I started my day there today a little after 10:00 and ended up with only one small rainbow and not that many hits. Low water maybe - unfamiliar with the river, more than likely.

To salvage the day, I went up to WPLP and jumped in just above the tunnel, backtracked down stream a bit and then worked my way up to the Chimneys trailhead. Much better. Not a lot brought to hand but lots of hits on dries, primarily a standard Parachute Adams.

Had one of the more exciting times on that stream without actually catching a fish. I came up on a nice deep pool and saw a half dozen trout in the 12-14 inch range (no joke) hanging out at the bottom. One was clearly a brookie (white borders on its fins). I worked the PA down through the pool a number of times without success and then tied on a BHPT dropper, also with no success. In desperation, I took off the PA and the BHPT and tied on a #12 yellow stimulator with rubber legs - figured they couldn't ignore that. I had bought several of these at the Creel when they were going out of business, primarily to use as strike indicators for a nymph, and they were barbless (as virtually everything at the Creel was). As soon as the Stimulator hit the water, one of those big boys shot up, snatched it off the surface and took a dive. He made one complete lap around the pool, kicking up a trail of silt all the way, before spitting out the hook. By the time my heart slowed down, all but one of those big trout had taken a hike to somewhere else. The whole thing took less than 10 seconds but was the highlight of the day.

Funny how much fun it can be losing a fish. :biggrin:

cardfly
10-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Charlie,

I just call that the early release program and figure they are speeding things up for me so I can move on to catch more fish. :smile:

Gypsy
10-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Charlie,
I have 3 more days until I return to the grind. i may have to go check this story out either thur. or fri. Not that I don't trust your story, I just want to get into it myself. I haven't had much luck in the park, all small bows. I have still not brought a GSM brook to hand. Maybe these next three days. If anyone reads this and can help the newbie get into Brookies before the end of the week, PLEASE reply!

ALflygirl
10-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Charlie...
Great report! It made my heart beat a little faster just reading about the "big one that got away!"

Rachel

BlueRaiderFan
10-07-2008, 10:49 PM
"The Tunnel" is that where the road crosses over itself?

PeteCz
10-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Charlie, a great story, as usual. I'm with Cardfly, if he came up and took your fly and then started thrashing, give yourself credit for it anyway, at least you fooled him...and he was released unharmed to fight another day...

BRF, the tunnel is between the Chimney Tops Picnic Area and the Chimney Tops Trailhead and it is a tunnel through the rock. The area you are referring to is just a bit closer to newfound gap...

Steve, send me an e-mail at petecz.aod at us.ibm.com and I'll give you a couple places to chase Brookies...