PDA

View Full Version : Polarized sun glasses

tire guy
10-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Polarized sun glasses can be cheap or expensive, like everything else. What makes the more expensive glasses better and are those features important? I want to see the fish, do the glasses make a big difference?
Thanks in advance for your help.

MBWCC
10-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Polarized sun glasses can be cheap or expensive, like everything else. What makes the more expensive glasses better and are those features important? I want to see the fish, do the glasses make a big difference?
Thanks in advance for your help.For the most part the difference in price is a function of the optical quality of the lenses, although you can't always escape the marketing hype's impact on the price. When shopping for polarized glasses check out the image quality. Look for image distortions, etc., especially off lens center.

bigpopper
10-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks in advance for your help.
Tire Guy,
From my experience, i have found that plolarized glasses do make a difference when fishing. They really do cut down on the glare that the sun gives the water. So as a result you do see the fish easier in the water. I have found that it does have to be clear water to see the fish though due to their camo effect. I picked up 2 pairs of ploarized sunglass at a keyosk at the local mall for $20 a couple of years ago. They have been worth every penny, they are UVA and UVB blocking and polarized, best part is the price. If you try one of those places make sure that they are polarized, and there is a picture to test them on polar vs non-polar. Hope this helps

Grumpy
10-12-2008, 11:31 PM
There's one thing i don't skimp on, my eyes, they're worth every penny i spend on good glasses.
I've tried them all, spend your money on a reputable company, you'll pay more, see more & your eyes will thank you.

Grumpy

tire guy
10-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks guys
Does LRO sell these glasses? I do not find them in their catalog.
BTW fishing on the Clinch has been really good. Besure to use a dark bead on nymphs.

ALflygirl
10-13-2008, 08:39 PM
I have a pair from Smith Optics and Costa del Mar. Both are good in my opinion.

James Buice
10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
I"m with Grumpy, don't skimp on your eyes. I'm sure he knows this like I do, when you're guiding you're out there all day long and you can really see the advantages of good glass. Poor lens quality distorts and if you're out all day long, peering through those glasses, you'll get a headache at the least.

The better polarized glasses will also brighten and show a harder contrast of underwater items (i.e rocks, trout). Most of the high end brands work well. Costa, Smith/AO, Oakley, Kaenon, etc. I just picked up a pair of the Smith Carbonic glasses, not their most expensive lenses, but pretty darn nice and very light. When ya have a crooked nose like mine and big dumbo ears, the lighter the better.

James

tire guy
10-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks James, I am of the age my are not what they used to be and need all the help I can give them.