PDA

View Full Version : bears and bows on the little

2weightfavorite
10-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Fished Friday the 10th starting out just above metcalf. Fished for about an hour before I got ran out of the river by a bear! He came out of the woods about 50 yards in front of me. I looked at him, he looked at me, and I began to worry just a little. So I made my way to the road side of the river and climbed up onto the road. To my suprise when I got onto the road, so did he, and he was walking my way!!!:eek: So I slowly walked backwards ( so I could watch what he was doing) towards my truck which was about 100 yards from me. About half way to the truck, bear still following, a car came by, and he ran up to hill into he woods. Thank goodness for that car!

I did however keep fishing, just not in that spot. After about 5 hours of fishing i caught countless bows, and not a single brown. All of which took dries, not even a single bite on my dropper. All in all, a successful day.

BTW A fellow guide that I know also got chased from the little river just below metcalf by a bear. the bear would charge, then back off, charge then back off, and it continued that way until my buddy got all the way back to his truck. I also talked with a guy wo saw a bear right in metcalf the day before. So beware around metcalf bottoms!

Troutman
10-11-2008, 11:24 PM
2wtfav., Chad told me about his bear encounter. Is there any park reg. against carrying Counter Assault? It is sold in every fly shop in West Yellowstone but you never see any around here.

2weightfavorite
10-11-2008, 11:41 PM
As far as I know it is just no fire arms. I do plan on carrying some bear mace. I think around here you pretty much have to order it. I know there are quite a few companies that make the stuff, but I don't know what type I am going to carry myself. I'm definitely going to look for the type that is colored, so I can at least see where the spray is going, and I want something that shoots some distance.

From what I have heard, on black bears at least, the mace does quite the job. I know it would make me feel at least a little safer, especially when I hike in a ways before fishing. I fished up the little river trail at cucumber gap a few weeks ago, and just knowing that they've been having some aggressive bear problems up at that campsite really made me a little uneasy. Not uneasy enough not to fish up there however!

At the same time, I have to ask myself, is it even worth carrying? I don't know the exact stats, but lets face it, a bear attack is highly unlikely. Although, it is alot easier to mace now and ask questions later, as opposed to shoot with a 44 mag now, and ask questions later... Tell me what you all think, is it worth carrying bear mace?

jeffnles1
10-12-2008, 04:03 PM
In the case of a bear, I think I'd rather have mace than most any revolver or pistol. You'd be far less likely to wound the bear and have a very angry wounded bear running loose for the rangers to finish off. Bears are big, fairly thick skinned with dense muscle and bones. Short of a very heavy handgun calibre most could not be counted on for a quick drop of an attacking bear (without perfect or lucky shot placement.

At least with the pepper spray, you'll most likely accomplish the desired result which is to take the wind out of the sails of an angry or overly courious bear without the other risks associated.

I do carry a firearm wen I fish outside of the park, but not for protection against bears.

Jeff

The Principal
10-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Byron and Daniel might order some if enough people want
the Bear Spray. You can get it at The Sportsman Wharehouse.
I bought some at the one in Chattanooga . I keep it under my truck seat.

The Principal

cardfly
10-12-2008, 08:23 PM
I do carry counter assault when I go into the park, especially when my son is with me. I did email someone at the parks department and they said it was fine. Hope I never have to use it but it is nice to have.....

TroutAssassin
10-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Sounds like a hairy situation. Glad nothing happened to you. I always carry a can of Counter Assault with me in the park.

Vern
10-12-2008, 09:57 PM
REI in Nashville stocks it. I have seen it in a couple of the hiking stores around Gatlinburg. I carry it, never had to even worry about it, but better safe than sorry. To tell the truth my wife makes me carry it when I fish alone. I am more afraid of her than the bears.

txfoneman
10-12-2008, 10:13 PM
eBay has several places to purchase Counter Assault too!

Kytroutbum
10-13-2008, 12:03 AM
I too emailed NPS and got the okay to carry it. Just check the expire date on the canister. Just be careful and READ AND FOLLOW instructions!! I would consider carrying it similar to carrying a firearm. It should be used as a LAST RESORT.

I wonder how many attacks and "bear scares" have occurred this summer. I've heard of at least two "attacks" and several scares.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum

WNCFLY
10-13-2008, 07:31 AM
2wtfav., Chad told me about his bear encounter. Is there any park reg. against carrying Counter Assault? It is sold in every fly shop in West Yellowstone but you never see any around here.

I carry counter assault as well. I have had to pull it out on one bear at poke patch in the head of Deep Creek. Luckily the bear changed his mind before I sprayed him. I have had to use it on a dog before. I hated to do it, but when you have a pit bull run up on you with teeth showing you really have to act or get bit.

Ky Tim
10-13-2008, 09:01 AM
I am a bit confused by the rules here. In this article about the increase in bear/human encounters it says: "If allowed, carry bear repellent spray, which has some good results. Bear repellent spray is not allowed in Great Smoky Mountains National Park."

Why would they not allow you to carry this in the park? Why would Park Service employees state that it is okay, if in fact it isn't?
Would like to see some clarification, because I carry Counter Assault when I am fishing the park.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/sep/08/population-increases-may-explain-attacks/

VolFan
10-13-2008, 10:20 AM
I ran into a bear this weekend about a mile up the Little River Trail. He came down to the river about 50 yds ahead of me while I was fishing. I lost sight of him behind some logs, so I started backing down the river to find a good spot to get out. I was down in a deep spot and didn't really want to not have a good way out if he decided to come my way. He eventually wandered back in the woods...not sure if he ever even saw me.

I went farther up the trail and started fishing again. When I finished, I was coming back down the trail and ran into some picture-takers who had been in the river on some rocks, evidently he came to the river's edge directly across from them.

This was my first encounter in several years...seems like they're happening more often now, not sure if it's because of more people, or more bears. It does make me consider carrying spray in the future, though. Not sure what I would have done down there if he had come my direction with no good way out.

WNCFLY
10-13-2008, 12:17 PM
I ran into a bear this weekend about a mile up the Little River Trail. He came down to the river about 50 yds ahead of me while I was fishing. I lost sight of him behind some logs, so I started backing down the river to find a good spot to get out. I was down in a deep spot and didn't really want to not have a good way out if he decided to come my way. He eventually wandered back in the woods...not sure if he ever even saw me.

I went farther up the trail and started fishing again. When I finished, I was coming back down the trail and ran into some picture-takers who had been in the river on some rocks, evidently he came to the river's edge directly across from them.

This was my first encounter in several years...seems like they're happening more often now, not sure if it's because of more people, or more bears. It does make me consider carrying spray in the future, though. Not sure what I would have done down there if he had come my direction with no good way out.

I have ran into two bears the last few weeks. One in Cataloochee and one in the Pisgah national forest. I also seen one ran over in downtown Asheville a few weeks ago. This bear was around 400 pounds.

On a side note, I have a book on fishing by a author named Jimmy Jacobs. He said that in 25 years fish these remote streams he has yet to see a bear. How is that possible?

Kytroutbum
10-13-2008, 05:35 PM
"If allowed, carry bear repellent spray, which has some good results. Bear repellent spray is not allowed in Great Smoky Mountains National Park."

I had a direct email response from Park Headquarters spring before last, stating that the use of Bear Spray was LEGAL!!!

Counter Assault can be purchased online at "counterassault.com". Costs about $50. Watch when you purchase it that you get a large canister. There are some "Cheaper Ones"that do not carry as much propellant. It is fired in short 2-3 seconds bursts at the bear's face. If I am in a situation where I have to use it, I would rather have paid the extra few bucks for the larger amount. The NFS Headquarters in Cody, Wyo. uses only "COUNTER ASSAULT". I've never used it but have heard "UDAP", is just as good. The only thing that goes bad on it is the propellant after several years. My wife and I carry "newly purchased canister" then stick the "older one" in a pack as a back up. The pepper spray is still good just the range is not as far. We also carry older cans in the door pockets of our cars.

Kytroutbum
Randall Sale

tennswede
10-13-2008, 10:01 PM
On a side note, I have a book on fishing by a author named Jimmy Jacobs. He said that in 25 years fish these remote streams he has yet to see a bear. How is that possible?[/QUOTE]

It was possible, Jacob's book came out in 1996, a lot has changed since then.

The numbers are up, both more people and more bears now. On top of that it is prime season now before winter.

nvr2L8
10-14-2008, 09:25 PM
I have been fishing in GSMNP for around 35 years, admittedly more in the last year than the previous 34, but I have never encountered a bear while fishing. Scared one up while out hiking once but never on the stream.

Bran
10-15-2008, 08:00 AM
I have followed this thread with a lot of interest as I'm sure a lot of other people have. All of the points on mace are well taken and, granted, it is some very potent stuff, but the absolute best repellent in the world is a bear hunting license. http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
I've toted one for years and bears run when I cross into the county, hardly ever spot one, then it's just a glimpse of their rear end!!!! Smileshttp://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Byron Begley
10-15-2008, 12:07 PM
I carry a pistol with me when bears are hanging around the house. I don't plan on shooting a bear, just scaring them off with the noise. About a month ago I bought two extremely light compressed air horns. They are about 6" long and there is enough air for 80 basts. I've got one in each kayak in case a cruise ship is headed toward us to be used as a last resort. Last week a customer came in the shop and said he bought one for his fishing vest to use in the event of a bear encounter. I think everyone should have one of those. They are probably more effective at scaring off a bear before they get close enough to use the spray. And, if you fell and were injured you could get the attention of a rescue person. I think they cost about $12.

Byron

mtnman2888
10-15-2008, 01:06 PM
I never thought about the air horn but that's a great idea byron i will invest in some of that. Like you said, hopefully the noise will scare them off that way you don't have to get close enough to use the spray. I have spray, and hope i never have to use it, but have never had an encounter where i felt threatened. They have all just kept an eye on me and left the scene when i got far enough away.

Doc
10-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Just having this stuff with you is reassuring and increases your fishing enjoyment as you are less anxious about the bears knowing you are not completely without a defense. Also if one is really coming at you aggressively you can still be shaking like a leaf and probably be able to get the job done. 44 magnum or similar heavy firearm is hard enough to shoot accurately even if you are not shaking and besides that you would be in trouble with the authorities even if your defense was that it saved your life while fishing in the National Park. Just my 2 cents worth.

WNCFLY
10-15-2008, 02:42 PM
On a side note, I have a book on fishing by a author named Jimmy Jacobs. He said that in 25 years fish these remote streams he has yet to see a bear. How is that possible?

It was possible, Jacob's book came out in 1996, a lot has changed since then.

The numbers are up, both more people and more bears now. On top of that it is prime season now before winter.

Yeah, I guess it is possible. I am 30 years old and have been fishing these streams since I was 10. I cant count the number of bears I have seen. My dad has been fishing these stream for well over 40 years and he has seen and had numerous bear encounters. He even got scratched on the thigh when he was in his teens. I guess a lot of it has to do with were you are. Go hang around poke patch in the head of deep creek a few days and you should see a bear. Palmer creek in Cataloochee is a good bet as well. I was there a few weeks ago and seen one bear and enough scat around to fill a 55 gallon barrel. The morale of this story is to invest $55 for a can of bear spray so you can have a little more piece of mind while in the backcountry.

bamafisherlady
10-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Air horn are good for alot of things, but I had never thought about using it as a deterrent to bears. I always used it on unsuspecting roommates. Now that is a TON of fun!!

Byron Begley
10-17-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm wondering if the air horn would run off a bold shark. I had a friend tell me a couple of days ago a 14' hammerhead circled his kayak several times. I may buy a bigger air horn or maybe 2 or 3. I bet it would work.

Byron

SWAMPUS
10-18-2008, 02:12 AM
Bear Spray Is Good,but If It Doesn't Work I Carry A Marine K-bar W/9' Blade.i Ain't No Dan'l Boone,but I Ain't Going Down Without A Fight! ****,i'm Over 6' And 280lbs And 61 Years .too Old And Fat To Run!get Some Funny Looks At Ingall's When I Stop On The Way Home.

BlueRaiderFan
10-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Swampus, I'm with you on that one. I'm not very fast and too small to fight a decent bare with rocks and hands! I carry a Bowie knife when I go. It looks goofy, but it makes me feel better.

SWAMPUS
10-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Blueraiderfan,maybe We Should Get Us Some Buckskins-use A Possibles Pouch Instead Of Vest.i Got A Leather Hat.does Orvis Sell Felt-soled Moccasins?bet We'd Get Some Strange Looks From The Tourists!

SWAMPUS
10-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Byron-i'd Check It Out While Holding It Underwater.stick Your Head Under Also For A True Test.i Am Not Saying 'go Soak Your Head!'don't Know You Well Enuff Yet!

BlueRaiderFan
10-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Blueraiderfan,maybe We Should Get Us Some Buckskins-use A Possibles Pouch Instead Of Vest.i Got A Leather Hat.does Orvis Sell Felt-soled Moccasins?bet We'd Get Some Strange Looks From The Tourists!

Ha! I look foolish enough just casting the way I do! No sense in piling on!:biggrin: