PDA

View Full Version : Greenbriar

cardfly
10-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone,

Coming in on Thursday night and staying up around the Greenbriar area. I want to fish there on Friday but want to move up a little farther than I have been before. I have been up to a little past the bridge.

Is there an easy trail that keeps along the river?

Thanks for any info.

tennswede
10-13-2008, 07:48 PM
The trail above the bridge (the last bridge at Ramsay cascade trailhead) leaves the stream and ascends the ridge and will eventually join the stream at the turnaround where Ramsay Prong comes in. This is two miles up. If you begin fishing at the bridge be prepared for an extremely rugged and potentially dangerous stretch of water. I used to do it solo in my younger days but I really don't recommend it. It is a six to eight hour trip unless you quit fishing and decide to hike out. You can leave the stream and try to hike out of there through the underbrush but you will find that it is extremely difficult to go through. I.e. rhododendron ****. There's a spot where you can leave the stream with a little more ease but you need to have been there before to know where it is as it is not explainable in writing. Do take a friend with you, I cracked a rib in there in 2003 and believe it wasn't fun at all trying to get out of there.

cardfly
10-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll just stay down a little lower. My fishing partner would struggle getting an old man out of the the woods.

tennswede
10-13-2008, 09:56 PM
I didn't mean to scare you off of that stretch, just recommended that you don't do it solo. If something happens hopefully the one you are with can go for help since these places don't see fishermen every week.

cardfly
10-14-2008, 09:15 PM
It's just that my fishing partner only weighs about 50 pounds soaking wet. We need to stick to a little easier trails for now. We might head up to Elkmont and fish above the campground. Been there several times and love to hike in.